News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Search Engine Friendly

Started by CokeCan, December 06, 2003, 08:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzy

Quote from: Anguz on December 29, 2003, 01:46:22 PM
I'll anyway write a mod to make it a bit easier for those that do want a different format but don't know how to do it

That's very kind of you Anguz :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

[Unknown]

Fizzy and pege, PLEASE understand that my big worry is having a big red checkbox the purpose of which is to crash your forum and even apache irrevocably.  Unless you can give me some statistic showing that 9999/10000 or more servers have mod_rewrite installed... YOU ARE NOT GETTING THIS FEATURE!

Doesn't this make sense?  Maybe someone, if serious about indexing, should only pay the higher price for a better server... that's very true.  What about THE PEOPLE WHO JUST WANT A BLINKING FORUM?  Do they not get to use SMF, simply because they don't CARE about indexing?  Or perhaps because they are not RICH ENOUGH to afford a server that will run SMF?

It's like having a ride at Disneyland that requires you to be 6'3".  They'll NEVER make a profit, because there simply aren't ENOUGH people who are that tall.

So, both of you... please, please, please stop being so selfish.  SMF is not just for you, it is for the people who can't afford good servers too.

I, on the other hand, am working on PLAUSABLE methods of getting those pages indexed WITHOUT requiring Apache with mod_rewrite.  This does, if you'll please forgive me, require some testing - the methods Google uses are not known, so everything is trial and error.  I just changed it to use dots, and it hasn't EVEN BEEN indexed again yet, so there is NO WAY to know if that fixed it.  We will have to wait and see.

-[Unknown]

Shadow

If you have the moeny to get a really nice server, why not spend some of that money to pay someone to write a really nice mod for this?
Just do it, go Charter! [Unknown] offered me a spot on the dev team! I swear it!

"Sup foos'! I'm Marshie! Capital M and then arshie! I'm going this way!!!"

Fizzy

Hey [Unknown],

You make it sound like you are being hounded about this, turst me you are not.

I was only trying to do my bit to help with the project. I'm no good at coding, I never have been so I know I can't help there. But I can and do try to help by bringing things to the attention of the Dev Team that may hopefully prove to either be worth considering for future releases, ideas for mods by other members or just simple little ideas or points that may help to raise issues that may not have even been considered.
I'm not crying for this to be part of a release and I thought that the way I brought in the subject of Anguz's mod was in keeping with the spirit of the thread and the development of new ideas, new ways of making SMF work.
I don't mean to be cynical, but too often lesser mortals like myself get chastised for not realising this or not considering that, but the better programmers do so on the premise that people like me know as much as you do, and to be honest  that's not very fair on us lessers.
I'm not a mind reader, I don't instinctively know when changes are made here and the feedback that we get is poor at best. All we get to here is how fantastic SMF will be, how flexible and powerful it is - well when the details are held back from us how on earth are we supposed to be able to make any sort of judgement about what is and is not possible? And before people start lining up with that old line of "get charter membership", bare in mind that I run a non-profit health site funded out of my own pocket and in my own time with a young family to support as best I can and spending money on any sort of internet promotions is simply not an option for me because I don't have it available.

, You simply posted saying "..... Are not going to be done, obviously, except by mods." which I accepted without question, hence my post discussing it as a possible mod, so to go on and start reciting about me being selfish is both unfair and quite frankly demoralizing.

Damn it ! I was just trying to help, not hinder !
I don't expect or deserve to be chastised on a public forum for trying to help in a positive and constructive manner.

[Unknown]

Fizzy, when I say "Fizzy and pege" I mean to direct parts of my reply to both of you, other parts to you, and still other parts to him.  By no means should you think all of my reply is directed at you - in fact, as a general rule of thumb, I almost NEVER direct an entire post towards one person.

Pege is pushing for this being a feature, and you're complaining about it not indexing all pages when we don't even know if the change I just made fixes that.

But - I do agree... the world would be both a more horrible and better place if everyone could read each other's minds.

Well, okay, I might get a black eye for saying this - but personally, I would *not* like to see people lining up for Charter Memberships until the beta.  All another Charter Member means to me is more work.... given, it helps a lot with finding bugs, but having too many just results in more bug reports for the same bugs.  I'm *personally* - PERSONALLY - perfectly happy with the current number of Charter Members.  That's not to say I wouldn't welcome another, or even 10 more.... but, there is a point when - AS A DEVELOPER - it becomes a little of a hinderance during this time.  That's all.

You are still being a little selfish to think this is the most important thing in the world - mostly pege, but I really said both there just so he wouldn't feel singled out.  (there goes that plan now.)

-[Unknown]

pulpitfire

is it not safe, easy, or practiacal to write code that can detect whether a person is using IIS (e.g.   if (!IIS){ load url options }; )?

[Unknown]

It's difficult to check other things.  It already has apache-only features, just not mod_rewrite-only features.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

and you're complaining about it not indexing all pages when we don't even know if the change I just made fixes that.
Since when did I start complaining ? I merely did what no-one else had bothered to do, - CHECK! - In an attempt to help the forum project I took time out to see if the previous changes had made a difference because I didn't see anybody else bothering to do it. I report that back to the people that should be taking notice and get accused of complaining ? ? :o
So you made changes. Did you say bother telling us ? No ! We're left in the dark again.

There are two valuable lessons to be learned here Unknown.

You are still being a little selfish to think this is the most important thing in the world - mostly pege, but I really said both there just so he wouldn't feel singled out.
Firstly, Don't put words in peoples mouths. I have never said that this was the most important thing in the world, but I certainly would say that it ranks a hell of a lot higher in my opinion than 'dates appearing in Emails' or 'Ban list comments'. If that's where the Dev Team wants to prioritise its time then that's fine by me, that's their right and they are all perfectly entitled to it. It's not for me to dictate or recite and I have no intention of doing so.

Secondly, think twice before you throw ****** in two directions in an attempt to prevent one from feeling bad or singled out. You may only end up with 2 hacked off people instead of 1.

Right now, to be honest I really couldn't care if SMF gets indexed properly or not.
I'll just leave you to your own devices.

pulpitfire

alright, alright, take it easy here guys.  :)

fizzy, i just noticed it says "Guest" under your name.  what's with that?

Gobalopper

That means he deleted his account.

pulpitfire

Anguz

it probably means his account was deleted... from his las message, he probably did it himself  :-\
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

RoCKeT-88

Quote from: pege on December 30, 2003, 04:13:05 PM
sheesh....come on now Fiz. 

Just outta curiousity if a member does that can admins reverse that or is that like too bad so sad?

That is a bummer deal though  ???

Least he wasnt charter.
Insert Witty Signature Here.

Jeff Lewis

It can be restored if he wishes, I have been in communication with him and really wish I caught this thread sooner.

There is an obvious miscommunication here and one of the things I dislike most is when someone feels shunned by the project - especially when they are actively trying to help the project.

Hopefully he will change his mind...
Co-Founder of SMF

RoCKeT-88

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on December 30, 2003, 09:18:37 PM
It can be restored if he wishes, I have been in communication with him and really wish I caught this thread sooner.

There is an obvious miscommunication here and one of the things I dislike most is when someone feels shunned by the project - especially when they are actively trying to help the project.

Hopefully he will change his mind...

I emailed him hours ago and I have not heard anything back.

David

Not reading pages 3 and 4, since lazy, Google has indexed multiple pages in threads on BN.
This space for rent.

Shadow

Yeah google has no problem indexing pages on SMF boards...
Just search for "google popup blocker"
Just do it, go Charter! [Unknown] offered me a spot on the dev team! I swear it!

"Sup foos'! I'm Marshie! Capital M and then arshie! I'm going this way!!!"

RoCKeT-88

Quote from: Shadow on December 31, 2003, 12:06:12 AM
Yeah google has no problem indexing pages on SMF boards...
Just search for "google popup blocker"

Should show both pages of thread however.  Only the very first page of a thread is being index far as I can see.  Its too soon to see if that is gonna change yet.

RoCKeT-88

Advertisement: