Stop smiley only posts

Started by pheasant_plucker, October 10, 2009, 12:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheasant_plucker

Is there any way to stop those really irritating posts that some people make that consist of only smilies or images? There's nothing more irritating than looking through unread posts, seeing a new topic and clicking on it only to find a handful of smileys. I have nothing against smiley use in the right context but a post should contain text as well.

Gerry

Arantor

One option is to use the Word Count Limits mod and set each board to a minimum of 5 words. Since smileys are not classed as a word generally, this won't work.

pheasant_plucker

I tried that last night immediately after I posted this but for some reason once I enable it for a board it always comes up with the message "not enough words" I set it to 5 words and it still does this at 20 or more. It installed correctly so I don't know what the issue is.

Gerry

Arantor

pheasant_plucker

Any words fail. I just tried again using  words seven characters long and it still failed. The error log gives the following error..
Quote2: preg_match_all() [<a href='function.preg-match-all'>function.preg-match-all</a>]: Compilation failed: support for \P, \p, and \X has not been compiled at offset 1
File: /home/rcmfweb/public_html/4um/Sources/Post.php
Line: 2504

Arantor

Interesting, very interesting. Who's your host, and what language do you use in your forum?

(Normally I'd ask that support go to the mod's own support topic but I wrote that mod and likely it's a tweak specific to your site)

pheasant_plucker

It's dedicated running Centos 5.3 64bit on a dual xeon Language is English.
SMF 1.1.10
TinyPortal v0.9.8

Gerry

Arantor

Please can you provide a phpinfo() file? (What is a phpinfo() file?)

The issue you're encountering is due to the configuration of PHP/PCRE not supporting extended characters, at least that's what it appears to be. Before I show you the modifications I want to be sure that's the cause.

Advertisement: