News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

VB 3.8.2 > SMF 2.0RC2

Started by Zack_PSP, October 14, 2009, 08:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zack_PSP

Hey guys :)

So I just paid for a charter subscription and after seeing what VB4 is going to look like (and the ridiculous price), i think it's a wise move.

So I am currently running Vbulletin v 3.8.2. And am looking to convert my database to work with SMF v 2.0RC2.

Any out there ? (I saw 3.6) and how successful are they? Profile info, sigs, avatars, posts, threads and forums are my main concerns.

Thanks a ton!

Norv

Hello there, and welcome to SMF!

Our converter to SMF 2.0 is not tested for RC2, only for SMF 2.0 RC1.2, as yet. I will test it for RC2 and correct it if needed, but unfortunately it might take a little time.
To convert to RC2, you can try using the 2.0 RC1.2 converter to convert to a RC2 installation because as far as I can tell the database changes, though many, might not be so relevant for the converter. :)

Please find attached the latest version of the converter from vBulletin3.7+ to SMF 2.0.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Zack_PSP

Quote from: Norv on October 16, 2009, 07:41:39 AM
Hello there, and welcome to SMF!

Our converter to SMF 2.0 is not tested for RC2, only for SMF 2.0 RC1.2, as yet. I will test it for RC2 and correct it if needed, but unfortunately it might take a little time.
To convert to RC2, you can try using the 2.0 RC1.2 converter to convert to a RC2 installation because as far as I can tell the database changes, though many, might not be so relevant for the converter. :)

Please find attached the latest version of the converter from vBulletin3.7+ to SMF 2.0.

Thanks a lot man :) I will definitely try the converter you posted up once my payment clears for the charter membership and I wait the required week to download the latest version of SMF :)

I appreciate you testing it for me :)

Norv

Please use these files, if this is still an issue.
It's the vBulletin converter tested and corrected for RC2, and vBulletin 3.6 and 3.8. It should work with both RC1.2 and RC2, and at least vBulletin 3.6-3.8.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

ninermac

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I was in a similar situation and decided to give the last script here a try.

It seemed to work, but hangs during recalculating forum statistics:

Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics...

Just sits there.

Perhaps it's my large DB?  I'm pushing close to 400K posts.

ninermac

Just to add to this... Looking at the forum after conversion, it shows the forums that should ahve been added, and has correct post counts.  If I click on one of the boards, it will show the page numbers, but shows no posts on each page.

I was sitting at 3.8.4 converting to 2.0 RC2.

Norv

Can you please try using these files?

In case it is still not working, please let me know if you agree that I take a look at converting your database, though please note that I will only be able to do so in several hours or a little more.

ninermac

That set of files was successful up until attachments:

Converting attachments...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: width

What it converted on the posts and topics looks good.  Of course the stats are off because it did not make it that far.  Something I noticed that may be because of the failure... When I click the Mark as read link, it does not seem to change the status of converted topics/posts.

If you have another set for me to try, I'll be glad to give it a go.  Should I run it as is or restore my Db prior to the convert I just did?

I won't be trying to convert my site for production until the weekend, just testing through this at the moment.

thanks,
Mac

ninermac

Would I need to move my files out of the DB and into the file system?

ninermac

Looking around the site, it looks like the private messages have some issues.. For instance it pulled in the fact I have 78 pages of PMs, but only shows me a few pages worth of them, some of the very first PMs I ever got.

ninermac

I'm going to be out of town till Saturday, but I'll be attempting to get my db converted for real this weekend. Any help is appreciated in getting the last few kinks worked out.

Really impressed with the SMF community so far... As well as the software itself.  Looking forward to leaving vb this weekend for good.

Norv

Sorry for the delay.
About the error
The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: width
- there has been a bug before but it should be solved now : I am unable to reproduce it with the same last version of the files you last used. Perhaps it would help if you make sure those are the files actually used and restart the conversion from scratch, with "debug=1" as parameter? Like, re-write the URL to smf_address/convert.php?debug=1 in the address bar and try again.
It will create a little file named "convert_error_log" in your SMF folder. Please after the conversion is ended, attach that file here.

Quote from: ninermac on October 28, 2009, 07:16:30 AM
Would I need to move my files out of the DB and into the file system?
No, please. The converter is written to actually expect them in the db. Might be because it's the default used by vBulletin, I'm not sure.

Quote from: ninermac on October 28, 2009, 09:51:56 AM
Looking around the site, it looks like the private messages have some issues.. For instance it pulled in the fact I have 78 pages of PMs, but only shows me a few pages worth of them, some of the very first PMs I ever got.
I cannot reproduce this, unless it's about the PMs that were deleted. SMF has no "trash" for PMs, so if I understand vBulletin correctly, it is those trashed PMs that are not passed over.
But as long as the conversion did not finish last time, it might be difficult to analyze the cause for the time being.

Quote from: ninermac on October 27, 2009, 07:38:31 PM
If you have another set for me to try, I'll be glad to give it a go.  Should I run it as is or restore my Db prior to the convert I just did?
There should never be a need to restore the DB, because the vBulletin database is not modifiied in any way by the converter, it only reads the data from it, and the needed SMF database tables should be wiped by the converter every time it is run.

ninermac

Great, I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon and will give it a shot.  I'll make sure I've got the latest scripts and give it another run with error logging turned on.  Thanks again.

ninermac

error log:
The database encountered an error on line (from query), 78.
The error received was:
---
---
The query ran was:
---
Undefined index:  convert_script
---
The database encountered an error on line (from query), 116.
The error received was:
---
---
The query ran was:
---
Undefined index:  step
---
The database encountered an error on line (from query), 117.
The error received was:
---
---
The query ran was:
---
Undefined index:  start
---

Last messages from convert.php
QuoteConverting topic notifications...
Successful.
Converting board notifications... Successful.
Converting smileys... Successful.
Converting attachments...The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: width

This was using the latest scripts in this thread.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Norv

Please, try using the attached file, it should display more information about the attachments, on the page. It will be useful if you could copy it here.

ninermac

re-running... takes a while for it to run and just saw your post about 20-25 mins ago.  I'll be working on this the rest of the night though.  Want to get the conversion done if possible.

I'll post results with that sql file here shortly.

Norv

Just to confirm one more time, please correct me if wrong: you are working on converting to 2.0 RC2, the current charter release, not RC1.2.
Just for me to know what I try to test the issues on, when necessary.

ninermac

Attached teh output from that latest sql script...

ninermac

Quote from: Norv on November 01, 2009, 06:11:57 PM
Just to confirm one more time, please correct me if wrong: you are working on converting to 2.0 RC2, the current charter release, not RC1.2.
Just for me to know what I try to test the issues on, when necessary.

Yep, RC2

ninermac

Norv, if getting direct access to the DB would help, just let me know.  I have my VB in maintenance mode, so no posting is going on there.  Don't have a problem giving you access...

Norv

Yes, if you wish, please feel free to PM me access to the database.

On another note, though, perhaps this will help now: please if you want, try this one.

ninermac

I'll give it a shot and pm you back the DB info depending on how things go...

ninermac

Got through to recalculating stats...

Successful.
Converting avatars... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Table 'nntest.smileys' doesn't exist

Norv

Oh, cheers for that!
You might want to check if your expected image attachments are indeed there, after finishing the entire process.

About the last error: I think it's a problem in RC2 charter release actually, that your conversion just hit: please check out http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3831
Since RC2 is not yet public, please allow me to PM you further information to solve it.

Advertisement: