News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

1.1.10 to 2.0?

Started by Gixxer, October 15, 2009, 12:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Hell Raiser on October 17, 2009, 11:21:34 AM
But why i would steal his sports biking forum files, even i dunno to operate his cp also its like sucking to me i only know how to upload file in that cp nothing else. If you don't belive me you can surely ask smf to ban me.

Why would you not ask for help or stop doing something which you don't know? You might have been in a better position.

Sorry to TS for hijacking the topic :(

Hell Raiser

What i didn't understood

What do you mean ? i would ask help from someone to do what i don't know that what do you meant or something else , if something else please explain breifly  :-[

Need Help with SMF ? Ask me may be i can help you out

Arantor

You stated you did not know how to operate his host's control panel. In those situations, perhaps continuing was not the best action to take.

Speaking as a moderator, we cannot get involved in matters where people who are not knowledgeable enough take on tasks they cannot complete successfully and for all help matters and requests we do specifically have a thread in our Help Wanted board about ensuring users you ask for help have sufficient knowledge to not break anything.

tumbleweed

Quote from: Hell Raiser on October 17, 2009, 11:21:34 AM
But why i would steal his sports biking forum files, even i dunno to operate his cp also its like sucking to me i only know how to upload file in that cp nothing else. If you don't belive me you can surely ask smf to ban me.

I dont think you were trying to steal anything. However I think you were trying to bring in a customer thru unethical means.
and that within itself is as bad as stealing.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

Hell Raiser

I not did that also i didn't tried to do anything without his knowledge

Douglas

Eddie, do me a favor... change ALL passwords associated with your Network Solutions account.

I am VERY sorry that you've had to endure this.  Please do understand that the person helping you is not an official representative of SMF (THIS THREAD comes to mind, BIG time here).

If you need some help getting your site back online, and operational on either version (1.1.10 would be recommended), I'm willing to get you back up and running.  Please note that this will not include any customizations that were done (though I will archive the old broken version for you) or modification package installations.  This is just to get the current forums operational again.  Feel free to drop me a private message, if you'd like (Keeping in mind the warning I posted above).

(I'm only here for about another two hours, otherwise, I'm unavailable until Monday... so you might need to get some additional guidance from the main support boards).
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Gixxer

I immediately changed passwords. I had read part of that. That's why I posted agianst my better judgement I allowed temp.accress. After hellraiser I will not allow anyone else access. I don't know how to identify smf staff. So who can we trust and not trust?

babjusi

Quote from: Gixxer on October 17, 2009, 02:54:46 PM
I immediately changed passwords. I had read part of that. That's why I posted agianst my better judgement I allowed temp.accress. After hellraiser I will not allow anyone else access. I don't know how to identify smf staff. So who can we trust and not trust?

Ahahaha, sorry about the laugh as I know that it ain''t funny for ya but that conversation you had with hell_riser beats the hell of of every comic book I have ever read :D

To make sure that you get help from people that know, really know what they are doing, read that stickie by Douglas at the Help wanted board. Read that person''s post history, not post count (I mean of the one that offers to help you). That would give you a feel about his/her level of expertise.

Anyway, if I were you I would take Douglas up on his offer. With him you are in great hands.

P.s. Did you make a backup of your db prior to ''the upgrade"?

Douglas

Quote from: Gixxer on October 17, 2009, 02:54:46 PMAfter hellraiser I will not allow anyone else access. I don't know how to identify smf staff. So who can we trust and not trust?
This is the easiest way to identify who is on the SMF team and who isn't.

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/team.php

Also, look under their name.  SMF Staff (and SMF Friends, like myself) have badges instead of stars under our names.  Cross reference the link above if you have any doubts.

Glad to hear you changed PWs.  Very smart action on your part.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Gargoyle

WoW....

Just WOW!!

I feel for ya there bud. Bad experience all the way. Sorry about your experience.

Norv

eddie: please allow me to explain quickly a few points. Typically shared hosts need to provide some software that helps users manage their sites/domains/databases, etc, stuff associated with the account. Some provide cpanel for this, some provide Plesk, some provide other software. Your host is in the third "category", they provide a software very similar in functionality with cpanel and Plesk, only less widely known. It's nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, some users, including myself, prefer the panel software that NS uses, call it a matter of personal taste.

Please note also that I removed your account names and passwords from your last post above. Please, don't post anymore your passwords in public, I do read now that you changed them meanwhile, but anyway please note that when you give access to someone, you can usually make a temporary account, and give them those credentials. And remove the account after. Apart from easier tracking if really necessary, this would help also because many of us make the same or similar passwords for their countless mail/forums/sites/panels/whatnot accounts, and if a malicious user knows the pattern, it is easier for them to get the rest.

Please also note that if unzipping directly on server might or not be possible, we in the Support team usually advice to unzip locally, on their own computer, and upload the files. Just because there are so many hosts out there and different features and configurations. Uploading the files, however, always works. Beats me why someone knowing how to upgrade a forum wouldn't do that.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Gixxer

Quote from: Hell Raiser on October 17, 2009, 11:35:51 AM
I not did that also i didn't tried to do anything without his knowledge

Knowledge and permission are 2 different things. If I pull up in your driveway and steal your car once you look out the window. It's with your knowledge not permission.

Norv,
Thanks,good looking out. It was the old pass words but I was so mad it slipped my mind. Thanks Norv.  I removed the copy of yahoo messenger archive. I don't believe I'm seeing stars under anyone's names. I willl keep Douglas's name for a reference point of contact.  If hellraiser hadn't had tried to be sneaky I would have left positive feedback. But once he tried to scam me,I decided I needed to let the cat out of the bag so to speak.

Norv

Quote from: Gixxer on October 17, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
I don't believe I'm seeing stars under anyone's names.

You're right, of course. :)

I think the idea is that the SimpleMachines team (please check out the link for a full list) has badges under their names, in the place where normally SMF forums have stars. Please check out JBlaze's badge in his post right here on this thread: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=342428.msg2309873#msg2309873 (the Customizer badge), or my badge (of the Support team), or Douglas: SMF Friend.
Nobody else has badges here, on simplemachines.org, exactly to allow noticing easily the present and former Team Members.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Gargoyle

Douglas is good people. He helped me out when I was first starting up.

Gixxer

seems like it...thanks for heads up. Ironically, I called my self looking at hr's post prior to giving old password and screennames. I looked for "complaints".I didn't readily locate any. Currently waiting on ns to bring site back up.

Amacythe

A few people have mentioned "stars" under the members names, but with the new Curve Theme, these images are no longer stars but are small squares.

Also, Team Members have a triangle logo on their badges.  Other people who are not Core Team Members include the Charter Members, moderators and Beta Testers.  These people have a badge without the logo.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

And few exceptional cases who help around people like me :)

Hell Raiser

What the...........I did many successful conversions for many people but this host i don't know what happened in it. I think its better i get some more experience and knowledge and then start providing people help so anyone can delete my Help Available Thread ? And again i not did any illegal activity to transfer his domain or anything.

Gixxer

I'm still mad,and without a forum. Waiting on network solutions. I would have overlooked not being able to help or not experienced enough. As I'm inexperienced myself and flat out admitted it. A month ago,I had never even heard of ftp. However, going against my wishes once you accessed my host and forum and flat out saying you were going to transfer me to your server even after saying no are totally inexcusable. Hopefully,you haven't killed my community by messing up my forum. If you hadn't been unethical about your practices,I would not mentioned it. I felt others definitely needed a heads up. I'm still not sure you haven't violated federal laws.  Pretty sure you violated US laws but unsure about your country.

Hell Raiser

Hey Gixxer tell me i told like this "Go do anything, i am gonna transfer your host" ? i asked your permission or not? and why would i destory your forum ? what i will get it by destorying ? well the thing i think is your host has did that because you called them two times...Man i am not a destroyer.

Advertisement: