News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Google Analytics Code

Started by SMF Customization Team, October 15, 2009, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD82

Thanks for your reply. However, I managed to install the RC2 version on RC3. Everything seems to work well:)

Arantor

Yeah, I knew none of the code would have changed but it still needs an update to add the version number IIRC.

skadamo

Hello, I noticed the analytics does not show up in the print pages. Is this on purpose?

Arantor

No, it wasn't originally, just they use a quite different template to the others. Could be added, and with something I discovered a few days ago, could be added probably easier.

*shrug* I don't look after the mod any more. Maybe those who do will add it.

rednet

soulgeek

Hello,

Am using Anecdota (2.0 RC2), i installed the MOD, added my Accoutn ID too, but i do not see it working, i see no coded added in index.template.php.

What can go wrong?

Thanks
lets Grow Together With Law of Attraction !

Join to Seek a Better Like at
Law of Attraction Forum

Arantor

Did you use Install on Other Themes when installing the mod?

soulgeek

do you mean to say, did i try to install on othr themes? If so, the no, i did not, i can not change my theme. :-(

Or do you want to say there is such option saying "Install on Other Themes " ???

Law of Attraction Forum

Arantor

When you go through the install option on 2.0 series, it does the initial test to verify it'll install - at the bottom of the page there is a block titled "Install on Other Themes" which you can use to install.

Since you didn't open that box or tick anything in it, it didn't install. So uninstall and reinstall using that.

soulgeek

Law of Attraction Forum

KeyWestHank

Hey There,

I'm the retard that's going to have all the techies doubled over in laughter.
I've been a member on countless forums and have around 30-35 decent published websites under my belt.
Having said that:
I'm completely lost as to how to simply install google analytics on my forum.
Clearly this is a task that should not and has never taken more than 3-5 minutes on any of my other sites, but this?
Holy Hell.
First of all, no one, anywhere (and I've searched EVERYWHERE) mentions where I'm to find these files that I insert code into.
I've downloaded google_analytics.tar but now what?
Do I use transmit or another typical ftp app?
Is there an "on-board" page I go to within my own SMF forum admin controls?
Is there a website provided by SMF on their site?
Totally clueless, and I've been stumbling around for 3 hours trying to figure out what everyone is talking about.
I'm pretty close to bailing completely on SMF at this point.
Seriously! I challenge anyone to show me where there is a basic paragraph describing what I'm talking about in plain English.
I'm at my wits end and have wasted a monumental amount of time on this...
Help?

C4G-TK

Quote from: KeyWestHank on May 17, 2010, 07:05:45 PM
Hey There,

I'm the retard that's going to have all the techies doubled over in laughter.
I've been a member on countless forums and have around 30-35 decent published websites under my belt.
Having said that:
I'm completely lost as to how to simply install google analytics on my forum.
Clearly this is a task that should not and has never taken more than 3-5 minutes on any of my other sites, but this?
Holy Hell.
First of all, no one, anywhere (and I've searched EVERYWHERE) mentions where I'm to find these files that I insert code into.
I've downloaded google_analytics.tar but now what?
Do I use transmit or another typical ftp app?
Is there an "on-board" page I go to within my own SMF forum admin controls?
Is there a website provided by SMF on their site?
Totally clueless, and I've been stumbling around for 3 hours trying to figure out what everyone is talking about.
I'm pretty close to bailing completely on SMF at this point.
Seriously! I challenge anyone to show me where there is a basic paragraph describing what I'm talking about in plain English.
I'm at my wits end and have wasted a monumental amount of time on this...
Help?

Well, first, this is for the Member Map and not for Google Analytics, so the reply won't be found here.

There is a Mod for Google Analytics which is pretty easy and there was a TipTrick that explained how to do it without the mod.  I'll try to help you, but you will find better answers to your replies if you post in the correct area.

For a quick and easy MOD
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2210

For a non MOD way
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=267329.msg1762954#msg1762954

-img removed-

KeyWestHank

I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but speaking of posts...
I can see no way to post a question.
That's why I felt the need to do a reply.

Where do I have the ability to post a new question?

Thanks for your patience.

Hank

Arantor

As the big sticky in this board says, you can't. Each thread is created for a mod when it is reviewed and approved by the customization team, so they're reply only.

If you really need to post a new question, I'd suggest SMF Coding Discussion, but all they're likely to say is to post in the thread related to each mod (like I linked earlier) because the mod's author will likely know the mod better.

In the case of the Google Analytics code mod, I actually wrote that so if you'd care to let me know in that thread (to keep it all together) what problem you're having, I'll try and help.

KeyWestHank

I know I'm off topic in this section but

LOL... wow.

I've been to: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2210
and it offers no obviously concrete way to get the job done.
I've been publishing since, wow, I guess 1996, and I'm just clueless as to what they're talking about.
Do I use an ftp transfer program to do this?

With the non-mod cut and paste google script method?
I can easily see the source code in a web browser, but can't find a standard html page to transfer to with the typical head and body html. (within "Transmit")
I've also seen posts that doing it that way doesn't work or screws the whole forum up.

What am I missing here?

Suggestions?

Thanks again for your patience.

Mick.

Quote from: KeyWestHank on May 17, 2010, 07:30:35 PM
I know I'm off topic in this section but

LOL... wow.

I've been to: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2210
and it offers no obviously concrete way to get the job done.
I've been publishing since, wow, I guess 1996, and I'm just clueless as to what they're talking about.
Do I use an ftp transfer program to do this?

With the non-mod cut and paste google script method?
I can easily see the source code in a web browser, but can't find a standard html page to transfer to with the typical head and body html. (within "Transmit")
I've also seen posts that doing it that way doesn't work or screws the whole forum up.

What am I missing here?

Suggestions?

Thanks again for your patience.

Download the mod in which is a zip.   Do not open the zip or anything just upload it in:

admin--->packages.

Then if you read that thread, it'll tell you where to go to add your codes.

Arantor

Quote from: KeyWestHank on May 17, 2010, 07:30:35 PM
What am I missing here?

Suggestions?

Like both I and bluedevil said, Admin > Packages. For many things it'll do the job for you. I don't know how much it'll help you, I don't know what version of SMF you're using, or what theme you're using.

You may find http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=49.0;sort=subject of use to read, too. And if you need more help, the topic I linked to is the help topic for that mod, which is the best place to get support.

KeyWestHank

Thanks Blue Devil, you saved me a lot more searching, that was, as I'd hoped, incredibly simple.

It's not working with google so far but I have the mod and code installed.
One other question, I guess is that if I'm using standard ftp transfer, do I have access to the source code I see in a typical browser? If so what folder is it in?

You earned a free scooter rental for the day, if you're ever on Key West

Hank
607-228-0482

Arantor

OK, so what version of SMF are you using?

Chas Large

Don't know if this is relevant to the mod author but the current GA code for a single domain site is:

<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X']);
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
  })();

</script>

And it is advised that this is included in the <head> area of the page.

Any chance the mod could be amended to allow this code to be inserted?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Advertisement: