News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

MyStatus Update Mod (beta) - a social network extension for SMF 2.0

Started by ElectricSquid, October 15, 2009, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricSquid

In the next weeks and months, I will use this topic to document my progress as I create a FREE modification that will extend SMF's existing structure to include the ability for users to post their "status" (like some other popular social networks we know).

UPDATE

MyStatus_Updates 0.85
NOW COMPLETE!! and waiting to be put back in the queue for Mod approval on the mod site
For a pre release version, go here...
(for beta testing ONLY on non-production sites)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2268

MyStatus Updates mod now uses it's own independent database tables, and is self cleaning as the users post. Just set the max numbers of Status Updates a user can have, and when they reach that level, every time they post, their oldest Update is deleted (because who's going to look at a three week old update anyway :P)

Plus, for full webmaster customization,
Admin settings control:

• The text above the Status Update form
  • The Status Update form submit button text
  • The Reply Form submit button text
  • Maximum Updates per user
  • Maximum Update length
  • Maximum Reply length
  • How many Updates per page
  • Status Update avatar size (for layout customization)
  • Reply avatar size(for layout customization)

So stay tuned folks, the first un-official release is just days away....
IT'S HERE!!

Note, all older versions have been removed and trashed.
I suggest you do the same if you downloaded an older version.

ElectricSquid

Phhew, I'm tired after all that thinking.
Looks like I'll start coding it up tomorrow. The layout seems sound.

Any suggestions?

robg2251

Love the idea!  Keep us posted how this is going and when it launches. 

saosangmo

The great idea. I like miniblog. Could you add more 3 features: Search; notify when someone add me as buddy, and integrate with some short URL services: bit.ly, shorturl,... ?

sangwe11

Just wondering how your doing on this ?

Haven't had any updates recently.

ElectricSquid

Progress is being made much faster than expected.

As far as an estimated release date, the unofficial version should be released sometime in early December, maybe sooner if everything keeps going as well as it is. The manual instal/code edit will be posted here in the second reply as a BETA version. Use at your own risk, and not on a production site.

The official Mod Site version, which I recommend everyone waits for, will be in the hands of those who approve the Mods, so when it will be posted to the Mod site is anyones guess.

Quote from: saosangmo on October 22, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
The great idea. I like miniblog. Could you add more 3 features: Search; notify when someone add me as buddy, and integrate with some short URL services: bit.ly, shorturl,... ?

@saosangmo
For the Buddy system, I suggest Buddy Page Mod created by Arantor.
This is what I am using and will add support for this mod where-ever it's needed in the MyStatus Mod.

Arantor

Quote from: ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ on October 24, 2009, 07:12:13 PM
The official Mod Site version, which I recommend everyone waits for, will be in the hands of those who approve the Mods, so when it will be posted to the Mod site is anyones guess.

It'll be some time after you submit it to us (SMF Customization Team) and we review it. Larger mods do take time to get approved, but you will get feedback on it even if we don't approve it first time.

ElectricSquid

Thank you Arantor for letting everyone know that.
So far, this mod looks like it's going to be fairly light weight, despite it's functionallity. At least that's what I'm shooting for.

sangwe11

@saosangmo
This is what I am using and will add support for this mod where-ever it's needed in the MyStatus Mod.

Rofl, when I first saw that, I thought you were taking the mick out ma name ! :D

Arantor

Just to confirm, you're free to use any of the code from that mod in your own mod. All I'd ask is a link back to the original mod page, nothing more.

Mimmi

This sounds great, cant' wait to see it in action :-) I just hope I'll manage to use it with our forum's theme: Blue Sound.

I have no suggestions beyond those I made in Status Message.
Forum-junkie and still a newbie in the world of administrating php etc... Volunteers in reproductive rights. http://www.liv-laga.no/

sangwe11

Quote from: Mimmi on October 25, 2009, 04:59:02 PM
This sounds great, cant' wait to see it in action :-) I just hope I'll manage to use it with our forum's theme: Blue Sound.

So far we've seen no demo :o

Even if its only something basic, it just shows us its happening :D and allows us to provide feedback.

I always do that for my projects.

ElectricSquid

Quote from: Mimmi on October 25, 2009, 04:59:02 PM

I will make every effort to make this mod theme universal.
Or at the very least, very easy to modify to work with a custom theme.

ElectricSquid

Quote from: sangwe11 on October 25, 2009, 05:01:18 PM

So far we've seen no demo :o

Even if its only something basic, it just shows us its happening :D and allows us to provide feedback.

I always do that for my projects.

I really don't care what you do with your projects.
This isn't your project.

Talking about your projects, aren't you working on your own version of this mod?
Where are your updates?
Where is your demo?
I haven't even seen a topic on it yet. (how about a link)

So why don't you go get some work done, and butt out of what's going on over here.
There is a word for what you are doing, it's called "trolling", and it violates your user agreement. So back off. You've already caused one topic to be locked. If you keep it up, you'll get yourself banned.

Arantor

As you may note from other threads in this board, sangwe11 is working on a wiki mod for SMF, for which a number of screenshots have been provided already.

That said, there is something for having feedback; this is a large and complex mod and perhaps having some idea of how it's going would be good - since then you won't get to release and find it's not what users were expecting.

ElectricSquid

I've been coding on this for exactly one week now.
It's not time for a screenshot yet, since I'm doing the back end coding first. I haven't gotten to the layout yet.

SoLoGHoST

I hear that ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ.  I usually do the permissions and Admin Settings first before coding the actual feature of it in.  This is best for me since I really don't know the names of the permissions and $modSettings until I get done coding them in and than when I get to the actual interface for the mod, it's much easier to do, since I have the permissions and $modSettings named already.  Doing it the other way around is just retarded IMO, since you have to go back and forth and remember what you named everything.  Well, this works best for me, but you do whatever works best for you.

Just my 2 cents...

Arantor

*shrug* I have them all open in tabs in Notepad++ and develop them concurrently.

ElectricSquid

Quote from: Arantor on October 26, 2009, 03:02:30 PM
*shrug* I have them all open in tabs in Notepad++ and develop them concurrently.

That's what I'm doing now.
I wish I had multiple monitors, so I could have each file open and viewable on a different screen (instaed of having to bounce from one file on top, to the next) Anyway...

So far, I have the backend 75% coded for all three pages.
The remaining 25% is the reply/post function. I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle that yet. Especially since this Status Update field will be optional on the users profile page, board index, and in all three pages of this mod.
I would use SSI for this, but was warned against using SSI inside the forum.
That is tonight and tomorrows work.

For now, I'm toying with the layout, which is going very well. That too, is about 75% complete.

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Arantor on October 26, 2009, 03:02:30 PM
Ohh, don't get me wrong I have them all open in tabs in Dreamweaver, so I know what's going on.  Just still better for me to get the permissions and $modSettings out of the way first.  But that's probably just me...

Advertisement: