MyStatus Update Mod (beta) - a social network extension for SMF 2.0

Started by ElectricSquid, October 15, 2009, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricSquid

Update: The hard parts are done.

Template File/layout - 90% complete
(three pages)

I'm tempted to say the layout is 100% complete, but we all know how last minute changes end up being made. Special thanks to SMF member Kays for supplying the much needed code to show the posters avatar. LOL, with that new way of gathering the member data (compared to the hack I was originally using), I was able to create a much better layout, with minimal coding.

The post reply coding, which I thought was going to be a huge pain in the butt, ended up not being so bad, and is most of the way done. I'm still looking into adding smiley, img & url button, and other BBcode button support. That's todays work. This will be added to MyStatus ver. 2.0

Once that's done, it'll look all pretty, and I'll provide a few screenshots.

Sources File - 98% complete
(database queries & other coding)

I'm tempted to say the sources file is 100% complete, but I may need to add a few minor things as I complete the last few details throughout the mod.

To do list (0% complete as of this posting):

• Menu Button/s - index.template.php
  • Profile Button/s - profile.template.php
  • Status Update input field (post new) - many template files (admin options, which ones show)
  • Admin Options
  • Install Package
  • Final Testing
  • Submission to SMF for approval
  • Rest for 3 days

Note:
Here's the pageload data from the bottom of the "everyone page"
There are 8 topics and over 60 replies on that page.
Page created in 0.793 seconds with 13 queries.

This mod is being hosted on my DEVBOX, which is a slower than dirt old PC100 machine made from pieces parts. So that 0.793 seconds is pretty good considering the machine it's coming from.
For comparison, this is the stat for the Forum main page, board index...
Page created in 0.702 seconds with 12 queries.

So, so far, this mod loads just as fast as the forum main page!!

char39

I can hardly wait for this mod.  Thank you for doing it.

ElectricSquid

Quote from: katers on October 29, 2009, 12:14:54 AM
I can hardly wait for this mod.  Thank you for doing it.

Your welcome.

So it looks like the smilies and BBcode additions to the post field are going to have to wait for MyStatus 2.0
I spent the day trying to add it, but it's quite complicated and will delay the first release of MyStatus Mod, so it's been push off to the To Do: list for version 2.

Tomorrows work, creating the Status Update input field. This is basically the same as the post (reply) field I already added to the pages that make up the mod, except the Status Update box (new topic) will be available (via admin settings) on the users Profile Page, Board Index, Message Index, and at the top of all three pages of the MyStatus Mod.

I'll post a screenshot or two tomorrow too.
It's late here (Florida, USA) and I need some sleep.

sangwe11

Quote from: ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ on October 26, 2009, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: sangwe11 on October 25, 2009, 05:01:18 PM

So far we've seen no demo :o

Even if its only something basic, it just shows us its happening :D and allows us to provide feedback.

I always do that for my projects.

I really don't care what you do with your projects.
This isn't your project.

Talking about your projects, aren't you working on your own version of this mod?
Where are your updates?
Where is your demo?
I haven't even seen a topic on it yet. (how about a link)

So why don't you go get some work done, and butt out of what's going on over here.
There is a word for what you are doing, it's called "trolling", and it violates your user agreement. So back off. You've already caused one topic to be locked. If you keep it up, you'll get yourself banned.

Have you ever read a thread I have posted in that isnt yours ??

Have you even bothered to look at the ******ing board, and SEE the big WIKI topic ??

Next time you have a go at some one for something, get your ******ing facts right.

SoLoGHoST

OMG, Ok, you guys need to get a room somewhere that isn't SMF.  Here's a pick that comes to mind right now...

Good Luck both of you and please take this elsewhere, PM's come to mind also...

sangwe11

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 30, 2009, 06:09:39 PM
OMG, Ok, you guys need to get a room somewhere that isn't SMF.  Here's a pick that comes to mind right now...

Good Luck both of you and please take this elsewhere, PM's come to mind also...

Hehe, rofl raped ..

But this "guy" needs to be able to back up what he says, or just dont say it.

All I said was a few pictures of the progress would be nice, and he starts all that crap.

Just bull man, f-ing bull.

Marcus Forsberg

Please keep this friendly, guys. I don't wanna have to lock this topic as I like this idea and look forward to updates on it.

sangwe11

Quote from: Nas on October 30, 2009, 06:28:29 PM
Please keep this friendly, guys. I don't wanna have to lock this topic as I like this idea and look forward to updates on it.

Quote from: ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ on October 26, 2009, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: sangwe11 on October 25, 2009, 05:01:18 PM

So far we've seen no demo :o

Even if its only something basic, it just shows us its happening :D and allows us to provide feedback.

I always do that for my projects.

I really don't care what you do with your projects.
This isn't your project.

Talking about your projects, aren't you working on your own version of this mod?
Where are your updates?
Where is your demo?
I haven't even seen a topic on it yet. (how about a link)

So why don't you go get some work done, and butt out of what's going on over here.
There is a word for what you are doing, it's called "trolling", and it violates your user agreement. So back off. You've already caused one topic to be locked. If you keep it up, you'll get yourself banned.

And who is the one being "unfriendly" ?

Him?

I think so.

Marcus Forsberg

I didn't say it to anyone in particular, just a general note.

sangwe11

Quote from: Nas on October 30, 2009, 06:42:50 PM
I didn't say it to anyone in particular, just a general note.

And I'm just saying exactly what needs saying.

He's being the "unfriendly" one.

Afaik, asking for a few pictures is well in reason.

Insulting me, and how I work on my mods, is not.

ElectricSquid

Lets end this right here and be friends ;)

You rubbed me the wrong way a few days ago in a part of this topic that was removed. But that is history now, and it's a new day.
Lets let this drop and get on with progress, since that's what we're all here for anyway, and leave the bad feelings in the past.

akl

I quite love this mod.
Will the first release contain the chat feature as in facebook too?
That will be real awesome even if it's in a later release.
Quite looking forward to this mod!
Good luck!

MultiformeIngegno

Yeah!! Good luck for this MOD!! It's an awesome idea!! ;)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

sangwe11

Quote from: ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ on October 31, 2009, 12:38:52 AM
Lets end this right here and be friends ;)

Sure :D

Anywho, how is the progress looking ? And is there any demo we can look at so far ? (I has somewhere it can be hosted if thats a problem)

I'm looking forward to the release of this, and I hope its going to be as good as described.

ElectricSquid

I had a slight setback trying to add multiple page support, but all in all, progress is ahead of schedule. I still need to get the screenshot done for everyone. It figures, the stuff I think would be easy, end up being the hardest to accomplish.

As far as a demo, not yet. I don't foresee having one ready until the first full version is coded up.
At the rate this is going, I'm guessing in a week or two. At the same time, I'll make the code available (in the second post of this topic) for anyone who wants to try it before the official version is approved for the SMF Mod Site. BUT, it will be use at your own risk, and I'll gladly take any info on possible bugs that need fixing.

ElectricSquid

15 days after I started coding MyStatus Mod, it's almost done.
Yes, you guys were correct, taking this on as a "first mod" was WAY ambitious, but it's almost done 8)
Estimated first beta release - 4 days

MyStatus Mod will require the following to install
      - Addition of 4 new files
      - Addition of an image folder containing 5 images
               (including a default avatar for users without one)
      - Edits to 6 existing core files
      - Edits to 2 existing theme files
      - 0 (zero) database changes

The layout - done.
The core files - done
Edits to existing SMF files - 4 left
      - adding the Status Update field to Index.template.php
      - adding menu buttons to Index.template.php
      - adding buttons/links to Profile.template.php
      - doing something with Notify.php to block notification of the MyStatus board topics

I've made the edits to existing SMF files as small as possible, and limited them to Sources files as much as I could, to retain theme compatibility, no matter what theme you use. These edits to existing files are also very small and contained, so they are easy to do (compared to some mods with multiple edits per file).

The admin options are contained in the language file. Yes I know this is odd, and this may be changed in MyStatus 2.0, but it is my intention to not mess with anyones database if I don't need to. The only real needed admin option is the board MyStatus connects to. By default, this is board 1, Open Discussions, but this can be changed very easily.

The board MyStatus Mod uses will not show up in the "recent posts", "unread posts", "unread replies", or the "search" pages. This is because MyStatus Mod uses the existing structure of SMF topic and replies, and the ability for the MyStatus Mod board to show on these pages would be like a back door into the normal board view. This will be addressed further in MyStatus Mod 2.0

Email notification is disabled for MyStatus Mod 1.0 topics and replies. Again, this is because work needs to be done to rewrite the URL, as to not allow a back door into normal topic view. A lot of work on this feature is planned for version 2.0, including "on the fly" notification.

Theme edits required are very basic. Basically just the addition of a text input form (Status Updates) and a few buttons/links. The MyStatus Mod pages use the Index.template wrapper and MyStatus has NO color coding or borders of it's own. The MyStatus CSS file handles positioning ONLY. Again, this is to retain custom Theme compatibility.

... and that the progress update.
I still need to add a screenshot, but I need to remove the borders from the stylesheet first (used for debugging).

Note, though this mod is being developed on SMF 2.0 RC1.2, I am waiting for SMF 2.0 RC2 with the Curve theme before I build the official Mod Site install package. I will make the code for RC1.2 available here as an unofficial beta release, but MyStatus beta will be manual install only, and not suggested for a production site.

MultiformeIngegno

∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ you rock!! Can't wait to test your MOD! :D
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

ElectricSquid

I just added a 4th page to the mod.

So far, it had...
  - Everyones Status page - showing posts from everyone
  - Friends Status page - showing posts from friends only
  - MyStatus page - showing only your status updates

I just added...
  - Their Status page - which allows you to view all the status updates from one friend

This added page is what will show in other users profiles, in place of the mystatus page, which shows on your profile.

The list of things needed to do to get to the final release is almost complete.
I believe that the only thing left is to add the buttons that connect everything together.

Beta release date - any day now :P (very soon)

sangwe11

Any chance of a screenshot now ?

Only takes a second to do :D

I'm interested to see how you've layed the pages out

ElectricSquid

Quote from: sangwe11 on November 07, 2009, 01:59:28 PM
Any chance of a screenshot now ?

Only takes a second to do :D

I'm interested to see how you've layed the pages out

Sure, as soon as I stop improving it ;D

Advertisement: