News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bug? Stickies

Started by bryan_49ers, April 26, 2005, 12:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryan_49ers

Hi folks,
I have one forum
http://49ersparadise.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

you can use SMFtest and test to log in

with lots of stickies maybe 10 or so.  Anyway, I am finding that some of these sticky topics are not staying 'stuck' 

Help please!

[Unknown]

Are you sure someone isn't unstickying them?  Check the moderation log.

-[Unknown]

bryan_49ers

I didn't have the log enabled, and have enabled it now.  BUT I did speak to my mods and they said they did not do this.

[Unknown]

Well, no one else has had any problems, nor have we.

Why do you have so many stickies, though?  As a rule, most people try to keep it down to like five or less.

-[Unknown]

bryan_49ers

I typically have fewer stickies but because of the NFL draft  I had to create more for this week and next.

Also, it happened again, with my Mod Log enabled, and the only record of any action is from me modifying the post after it happened.

While I can understand that this might not be the biggest priority for you, simply saying I have too many stickies, or that other's haven't experienced this, doesn't mean it isn't a bug.  I'm not making this up.  It was my understanding when installing this forum that the entire community was dedicated to improving it.  The atagnostic tone in your last posts suggests to me that perhaps I'm wrong.  Or.... maybe I'm just reading you wrong.  I don't know.  Either way, this is clearly a bug.

xenovanis

How are they not staying 'stuck' anymore? You know, if you have more topics stickied and you post in one, it will move to the top.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

bryan_49ers

Hi,
They become regular posts.  They lose their sticky icon and will get pushed down below 'regular' posts. 

[Unknown]

Are people replying to them when they become unstickied?

-[Unknown]

bryan_49ers

People reply to them both when they are sticky and unsticky.  I think what is happening is that there is one / are some user(s) that when they reply to the topic, somehow automatically convert it to being a 'non sticky' topic. Only, I don't think it happens every time.  Is that possible?  Would they have to have mod status?

xenovanis

It is a permission to make topics sticky, maybe you should check it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

bryan_49ers

It's not that I can't make a topic sticky, it's that the topic won't always stay sticky even though no one is manually unsticky-ing it.

xenovanis

Okay, this may be a long shot, but could it be possible?

Suppose your permissions are set so that some (or all) membergroups are allowed to sticky topics.
Once someone is replying to a topic he/she has the possibility to uncheck the sticky-box under Additional Options leaving the topic unstickied. But...the trick is: you can't see this in your moderation-log, since it's only a reply and not a modification.

bryan_49ers

I suppose that's possible, but the default once a topic is sticky is to have that box checked, so unless they are actually un checking it, and are refusing to tell me about it, I just don't think it's happening you know?  I mean why would they lie to me about it?  They are Mods, people I trust not random users.

xenovanis

I'm not saying you can't trust your moderators, I'm just saying you should check your permissions wheter or not anyone else besides your moderators is able to sticky topics.
As I said, this ís possible, I just checked it on my testforum and it's the only plausible explanation I can think of.

bryan_49ers

I've double checked, only my mods have permission to make topics sticy or unsticky.

[Unknown]

Is it happening when your mods reply?

Have you made any modifications to the quick reply?

-[Unknown]

bryan_49ers

I've made no mods to the quick reply.

It happens intermittently, but yes, at least one MOD had always replied to the post before it went unsticky.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you if it went unsticky right after thier post or not.

I do seem to see a difference between how you make the topics sticky. When I use the quick mod feature it generally becomes unsticky more often than if I choose sticky in my original post under additional options.

TempusFugit

I experience the same problem... When a moderator replies to a sticky topic, sometimes it gets un-sticky.

bryan_49ers

At least I'm not the only crazy one :)

dtm.exe

It may be an issue with your installation of SMF 1.0.3.  You may wish to backup necessary files and try reinstalling SMF.

-Dan The Man

bryan_49ers

That's pretty drastic no?

dtm.exe

Quote from: bryan_49ers on April 28, 2005, 11:15:35 PM
That's pretty drastic no?

Not really.  Back up all of the files that you've made changes to and upload folders such as Avatars and Attachments.

-Dan The Man

bryan_49ers

Won't I have to go through re-creating all my boards, permissions etc, etc.

dtm.exe

Quote from: bryan_49ers on April 29, 2005, 11:35:16 PM
Won't I have to go through re-creating all my boards, permissions etc, etc.

Nope.  All of that information should be safely stored within your mySQL database.

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

I've looked again and I can't see anything that would, by default, witht the latest version of the default theme, and no modifications... cause this.

I thought I saw one thing, but the only *possible* cause for that would be if they hit preview, and still that shouldn't cause it.

-[Unknown]

TempusFugit

Preview shouldn't be the reason, since it's always checked in these topics. I've also checked the permissions (in my board there is a 'moderating team' group that has the permission to make topics sticky in every board) and everything seems fine.

By the way, I use 1-1 Beta...

bryan_49ers

Is there any difference between the sticky control when originally posting, or using the quick mod feature to make a topic sticky?

bryan_49ers

I still have this issue... it's a real pain, and I can't install the new SMF because the search function does not work on my server :(

jdougher

Quote from: TempusFugit on April 28, 2005, 05:12:53 PM
I experience the same problem... When a moderator replies to a sticky topic, sometimes it gets un-sticky.

We're having the same problem at photocamel...

bryan_49ers

Interestingly since upgarding to 1.1+ this issue has ended for me.

Advertisement: