News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

ENotify

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 18, 2009, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~DS~

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 09, 2010, 02:39:35 PM
Updated to SMF 2.0 RC3!
Includes Yağız... for the error log issue.
Also added code to prevent it from appearing in the online log. Which will fix the unknown action issue. Along with helping performance by not doing unneeded database queries.
Whooo yay!. Hope this does not takes much resources.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

It's still going to take resources by querying the server every few seconds for every user - but it will be a bit better.

Yağız...

Euuuhhh, I think you have made a mistake. I said before and you have added after :P

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2010, 03:01:20 PM
It's still going to take resources by querying the server every few seconds for every user - but it will be a bit better.
Will it add more resources if more requests were made upon this mod?
Like this request for example?
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343151.msg2492057#msg2492057
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

vbgamer45

Quote from: Yağız... on March 09, 2010, 03:04:16 PM
Euuuhhh, I think you have made a mistake. I said before and you have added after :P
Ok think I got it now.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Dismal: Yup. Everything you add for it to look up will slow it down. The only countermeasure there is to have it call less frequently.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2010, 03:17:09 PM
Dismal: Yup. Everything you add for it to look up will slow it down. The only countermeasure there is to have it call less frequently.
Detection? Like a Welcome Topic and birthday mod?

Arantor

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. But simply put, when it goes to check for an update, it does that update every few seconds. The more work it does every few seconds, the worse it is for the server.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2010, 04:34:42 PM
I'm not sure I follow what you mean. But simply put, when it goes to check for an update, it does that update every few seconds. The more work it does every few seconds, the worse it is for the server.
Yes, I know that, how does it goes for Welcome Topic and your birthday mod? Does it check for update every few seconds as well? These mods AFAIK does not use ajax while Enotify does.

Arantor

You're right, they don't. They're built in the scheduled tasks system, which actually does something not totally dissimilar; they run a query periodically (one per page load, max) to see if anything needs to be done.

But that's once for the life of the page.

Let's say you open a big big thread. Scheduled-task query fires once during page start up. Meanwhile this mod is doing an update every 10 seconds while you're reading the thread, and doing minimum of 4 queries per page load, but frequently more. So while you're reading that big thread, scheduled tasks has run once and only once, while you're generating multiple queries every few seconds - for every person who is reading that page.

A typical thread+quick reply might be 2 minutes. That's 120 seconds = 12 roundtrips to get data, generating 50+ database queries, versus the one for scheduled tasks checking.

~DS~

In other word, this is really bad, bad for big forum with numbers of members online at once.

Arantor

Yup in every sense of it, just as an AJAX shoutbox is.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2010, 05:34:15 PM
Yup in every sense of it, just as an AJAX shoutbox is.
On SP's shoutbox isn't that bad because you have the optional to change how it refreshs. Mine is set by default on 50 secs. Hope this can be done the same for Enotify.   

vbgamer45

There is a setting in enotify for this.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

~DS~

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 09, 2010, 05:46:42 PM
There is a setting in enotify for this.
LOL, I overlooked this one.  :P
In order to avoid resource hog it's best to be set to 30 secs, no?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

~DS~

Now for the request, I will summary what was said on the othe pages.
QuoteYou know what would be totally bad ass is if this could somehow tell you when someone logs into the forum ;D ;D ;D

"Dismal Shadow has just logged in"

"Dismal Shadow has just logged out"

Topic notification
"New Topic created by Dismal Shadow,
Happy new years guys"

Ability to change the color of the notifications.

I hope this have a permission which allow user to enable or disable enotify and even the sets of notifications. And of course admin override permission to disable notifications that the admin do not want to prevent server overloaded.
;D

Arantor

There is a list of who's online, but no list of 'events' of people logging in/out. It could be added but the DB gets bigger.

DarkValentine

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 03, 2010, 10:25:53 AM
I can probably port it to SMF 1.1.x for a donation of $25 to $30

I just may take upon that offer to do so. I'm willing to pay for such an option, since I don't want to switch board versions for it.

I'm in the works of getting my VPS set up and ready soon. So I can be off shared hosting, and straight onto VPS. Since my current host has a thing about running stuff that uses AJAX, that run up the load on the server, even with a refresh rate adjustment setting.

So, once I get my VPS, I will go about getting into details with you on this for 1.1.x

the giox

Hi, this is the best mod ever...
I've installed and it works fine, but is incompatible whit my nneo's shoutbox.
It block the "shout"

I have cancelled only for this :(

Advertisement: