News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

ENotify

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 18, 2009, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolya

I understand that asynchronously pushed notifications do need some sort of time scale. And it can even be set in the options of the mod.
But it's a lose-lose situation this mod puts you in: Either you set it to some extremely long interval, which makes the mod pointless (instant notifications aren't instant anymore) or you beat the server to pulp with Enotify's constant requests.

As I've said I have searched the entire "Themes" folder for any files containing the word "enotify", so that includes my custom theme. The only file I found is a false positive: Profile.Template.php contains a function "populateNotifyTemplate".

Kolya

The thing with this mod is that it seems to address an actual problem of SMF: Regular SMF does a poor and confusing job of guiding users to new posts (PM notifications are fine). It requires a user to check 3 pages:

1. New Replies
2. New Posts since your last visit
3. Unread posts since forever

With 1. it is left unexplained what exactly counts as a " new reply". Is that any post in a thread I've started? Any post in a thread I've posted in? Or just the post that comes right after mine in some thread? Or is it when someone clicks the REPLY button in my post?
Yeah, who knows.

2. and 3. are obviously aimed at large forums. In a small forum you will just want to read all that's new and mark as read what does not interest you, instead of missing posts again that you missed on your last visit.

SMF's depiction of new posts on the boards is even worse: As soon as you've visited a forum's message index that has new posts, the forum is not flagged as containing new posts anymore, whether you read them or not.

And if you come in from any other place than the message index and read all new posts in a forum (eg via RSS links), then the forum is still flagged as containing new posts, although you read them all.

I have actually discussed this here before and was told this was intentional behaviour, despite it resulting in completely unreliable "unread" indicators.

That's why I was interested in Enotify. But in the end it doesn't solve this problem and adds its own more severe problems on top. So I'm cured for now.

Arantor

Well, for 1. the default text is 'view unread replies to your posts' which while it might be vague it does at least imply that it's all of your posts, not just in your topics.

It is intentional if not entirely desirable behaviour.

Abavagada

I think this is a really good mod. I've already made some modifications so it also works with MonoTiz's SMF Social Network Pro. There are two suggestions I would make for future versions:

1) A way for members to control what they get notifications for, like some may want PM notifications, but not post replies.

2) A page, possibly popup, that lists the most recent notifications, even if they have been read. FB has a drop down menu that shows you the most recent. This way, if you missed one that came in, you can review it.

As for the problems that been mentioned here, if a person could turn off the post notifications, that could ease that issue. Also, as to the strain on the server.. just change the frequency to a higher delay. I don't think people will really notice a difference between something like 10 seconds and 2 minutes. Is it "instant" then? No. But will it matter? Not really.

Thanks for this mod.

Aportadordelmix

Hello

Install the mod eNotify manually, using the parse, but I'm not getting notifications.

What is the reason the rpoblema?

I can create some tables in database? How?

Log:
Visitante Hoy a las 03:27:34
Aplicar filtro: Mostrar solamente los mensajes de error de esta dirección IP 186.124.55.154    Aplicar filtro: Mostrar solamente los mensajes de error de esta sesión 18b9107cfedb4aef6f27a94c83588ac0
Aplicar filtro: Mostrar solamente los mensajes de error de este URL http://aportesydescargas.com.ar/foro/index.php?action=enotify
Aplicar filtro: Mostrar solamente los mensajes de error con el mismo mensaje
8: Undefined index: default_username
Archivo: /home/martin/domains/aportesydescargas.com.ar/public_html/foro/Themes/default/Login.template.php
Línea: 101

Theme default
version 1.1.11
www.aportesydescargas.com.ar

FragaCampos

Just to warn people that are going to install this mod:

The mod is great. Neat, clean, and useful, but for the first time ever, i got my account cancelled because of it.
I've changed the interval to 45 seconds, and even with a relatively small forum (11000 registered members) i got shut down in less than 24 hours.

Think twice before installing this.

Aportadordelmix

Quote from: FragaCampos on February 17, 2011, 05:11:28 PM
Just to warn people that are going to install this mod:

The mod is great. Neat, clean, and useful, but for the first time ever, i got my account cancelled because of it.
I've changed the interval to 45 seconds, and even with a relatively small forum (11000 registered members) i got shut down in less than 24 hours.

Think twice before installing this.

Thanks for the info.

Mod off for not having received support from the author of the mod.

FragaCampos

Now that i got my forum back and uninstalled the mod i noticed that enotify doesn't erase it's entries in the database.
I managed to delete smf_log_enotify_pms & smf_log_enotify_topics but i have a doubt:
how can i restore only certain tables instead of the entire database?

Quote from: Kolya on February 07, 2011, 07:31:53 AM
But the real fun starts, after you uninstall it, as you sooner or later will: Because it doesn't uninstall completely. I ran into the same problem described by others above. I have now around 30 guests with "unknown action" in the online list. Considering guests should at no point be able to use Enotify, this is a bit weird. But I looked them up in the database (Table: smf_log_online) and sure enough these guests do call Enotify, example: a:2:{s:6:"action";s:7:"enotify";s:10:"USER_AGENT";s:112:"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)";}

At this point I have replaced all files Enotify touches from backup and searched all files from the sources and themes folders for the word "enotify" and there's nothing there. I have also deleted 2 tables in the database that Enotify left behind (smf_log_enotify_pms & smf_log_enotify_topics).

aerolite

This mod is very proo! but can you put something like notification bar? if they didn't check the thread, it keeps adding and adding? and once they click the notification bar, it will show un-read threads by the owner.

Abavagada

Quote from: aerolite on March 04, 2011, 07:03:18 AM
This mod is very proo! but can you put something like notification bar? if they didn't check the thread, it keeps adding and adding? and once they click the notification bar, it will show un-read threads by the owner.

If I understand your question correctly, when a notification is given, it won't be given again. If someone posts another new thing, it will give a new notification (I am assuming).

My concern was that if a person misses a notification (like they weren't looking at the screen during the 5 seconds it was there), how can they see if they missed any? So I built in a Notifications box, like on FB, that shows the recent notifications.

MATTEK

Question - I just installed the mod after upgrading to RC5. Seems to be working fine, but every once in a while I'll get like 13 notifications from posts made months ago. Any one know why?
SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

vbgamer45

Not sure what would would it then unless it is erroring out if you see the same topics over and over again.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

MATTEK

Quote from: vbgamer45 on March 15, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
Not sure what would would it then unless it is erroring out if you see the same topics over and over again.

It
s not the same topics. It's random. For instance I just had a notification, clicked on it and it brought me to a post made on March 1st.
SMF 2.0.1

Zirc

I had to parse one of the database changes manually and I found an error.  Here is what is displayed on the mod site.

INSERT IGNORE INTO {db_prefix}settings
(variable, value)
VALUES ('enotify_life', '5000'),
('enotify_refresh', '10000'),
('enotify_pms', '1'),
('enotify_replies', '1'),
('enotify_exp

And it should be the following correct?  The last line got some things cut off.

INSERT IGNORE INTO {db_prefix}settings
(variable, value)
VALUES ('enotify_life', '5000'),
('enotify_refresh', '10000'),
('enotify_pms', '1'),
('enotify_replies', '1'),
('enotify_exp', '48');

ljunatic

Quote from: Kolya on February 07, 2011, 07:31:53 AM
But the real fun starts, after you uninstall it, as you sooner or later will: Because it doesn't uninstall completely. I ran into the same problem described by others above. I have now around 30 guests with "unknown action" in the online list. Considering guests should at no point be able to use Enotify, this is a bit weird.

Has anyone found a way to end this behaviour?

FragaCampos

I just deleted the enotify entries in my database. Everything is fine now.

Biology Forums

Is there a way of putting the [ X ] on top as opposed to on the bottom?

PLAYBOY

Another excellent mod from vbgamer!
Perfect! Smooth installation and not problem even in a highly customized theme. Thank you.

Is there a way to change the notification color? My forum is dark and the notifications look a little unmatching.
Also Is there a way to add a sound too? I think that would be cool.
or like every member can adjust their own settings would be the best.

Advertisement: