News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

ENotify

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, October 18, 2009, 04:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbgamer45

Go on the modsite and find the manual install instructions for this mod then edit the files in reverse
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

IDunc

PLAYBOY

I get this error in my error log only from one of my members.

QuoteWrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (enot_time)

Any ideas? Solutions? Reasons?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

PLAYBOY

Sorry i removed all of my errors to see if im gonna get the same errors again. But this is what i could find out when i clicked on "Back Button"
Ask me if you need any translation.

http://www.site.com/forum/index.php?action=enotify
Filtreyi Uygula: Sadece aynı iletiye ait hata iletilerini görüntüle
Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (enot_time)
Function: ENotifyUpdateUnreadReplies
Filtreyi Uygula: Sadece bu dosyaya ait hataları göster
Dosya: /home/site/public_html/forum/Sources/ENotify.php
Satır: 70

Harvest

I seem to get an error for one perticular user:
http://forum.sevenstring.pl/index.php?action=enotify8:
Undefined index: id_member
File: forum.sevenstring.pl/Sources/Security.php
Line: 231

Do you have any ideas what could cause this error?

hcfwesker

What's the edit to remove the copyright.  The copyright has nothing to do with this MOD being installed.

EDIT: 

Just decided to uninstall.  I'd always give credit for a MOD author, but not a backlink to a site for advertisement :P

Abavagada

I really like this mod, and have enhanced it a bit to work more completely with the rest of my site. However, I have had to disable it, and will have to remove it if the constant errors from "Guests" accessing the forum issue isn't fixed. As it's been mentioned before, a Guest shouldn't even be able to access ENotify.

OCJ

Everyone seems to like this mod (on our site) but also getting a lot of error messages - 600 this evening.

This is from logged in users but they have permission restrictions until they complete their membership;

http://#######.com/events/index.php?action=enotify
No valid boards were selected!

PenelopeQ

My servere deactivated my site due to overload.

I have been running a thread here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=441509.0;all

Someone pointed out this thread here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=420223.msg2938099#msg2938099
where there was an issue with enotify

Eveything looked okay in my settings.php so I next thought enotify could be the problem. I uninstalled it and deleted it. A couple minutes later I got an enotify pop-up notice? Huh...I'd just deleted it--after uninstalling. My host activated me just so I could uninstall it and see if that was the issue.

The overload issue is continuing, but I am not certain that enotify is not the problem since I still had activity from it.

So I don't know what to do now?
Sorry, but I wasn't liking enotify anyway--it was constantly sending notices from threads I had posted on months ago and it was notofying me of months-old responses. And there were tons of notices--since it was going back months I guess there would be tons.

So did enotify change something in my other files that I need to fix?
What can I do now?

Jorge_CS_

DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD, IT BRINGS A TERRIBLE HEADACHE!!!

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kolya

Maybe you missed that several people in this thread had their websites closed down due to the massive abuse of resources by this mod.
Or the fact that this mod provably opens up access to member functions for bots.
And that it doesn't uninstall correctly as noted by a lot of people in this thread.
Not to mention the link to an advertising site that it places in the forum footer.

vbgamer45

Resources is not the issue at all as long as you have high timeouts. That is poor hosting otherwise this is mod is without any issues.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kolya

When people can run SMF without problems and then get kicked by their host after installing this mod, it's not poor hosting.
By default Enotify requests and then displays the PMs and new messages of every member online every 10 seconds. That by itself is a massive increase of resource usage.

And my other points stand. I have proven in this thread before that Enotify gets accessed by guests and bots which further increases the resource needs and calls in question the security of this mod, as these are member functions.

Many others have described how Enotify doesn't uninstall correctly and they continue to have problems with bots accessing Enotify after uninstallation.

I'll give you that the advertising link is an ethical question which might be arguable.

The least you could do is put up a warning on the Enotify mod page that this mod significantly increases resource usage and should preferably be used on a self-hosted site to avoid problems with hosts, like the ones we've seen.

ms_ukyankee

Quote from: Kolya on July 13, 2011, 03:06:23 PM
When people can run SMF without problems and then get kicked by their host after installing this mod, it's not poor hosting.
By default Enotify requests and then displays the PMs and new messages of every member online every 10 seconds. That by itself is a massive increase of resource usage.

People need to learn to research mod's and RTFM (including comments) before installing.

QuoteAnd my other points stand. I have proven in this thread before that Enotify gets accessed by guests and bots which further increases the resource needs and calls in question the security of this mod, as these are member functions.

In the day of context sensitive advertising and endless browser add-ons, in page links ( to enotify) is passed to bots for many reasons and is not exclusive to enotify.

QuoteMany others have described how Enotify doesn't uninstall correctly and they continue to have problems with bots accessing Enotify after uninstallation.

Any mod can have issues uninstalling, if people use modules they need to learn how to do it manually.

QuoteI'll give you that the advertising link is an ethical question which might be arguable.

You must be joking, countless themes include copyright links, and several modules. You can pay a donation to remove some of them.

QuoteThe least you could do is put up a warning on the Enotify mod page that this mod significantly increases resource usage and should preferably be used on a self-hosted site to avoid problems with hosts, like the ones we've seen.

99% of people won't read it anyway.

I love this mod, it's slick. With the correct settings, it didn't negatively affect my resources and it increased the amount of time my users were spending on the site which = increased ad revenue. Thank you vbgamer.
SMF since 2004 <3

PLAYBOY

QuoteDO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD, IT BRINGS A TERRIBLE HEADACHE!!!

I love this mod. It keeps the members in the forum and keep them active. Yes it pushes the resources a bit but its not because of this mod is bad, its because we are cheap and our shared hosting companies are crappy. If we had a nice VPS this mod is sooo cool!

QuoteResources is not the issue at all as long as you have high timeouts.

Which timeouts and how do you increase it?

Adding something like this to this mod...

would be a very nice feature. So we can write stuff for the visitors and put a link for registering.

Abavagada

I also like this mod, and have added my own customizations.

However, until it stops being activated by bots, I've had to disable it. The bot access causes the log file to fill with errors because pages are accessed improperly and thus many variables are not defined.

Has anyone else that is praising it found this problem?

luuuciano

Quote from: PLAYBOY on July 15, 2011, 01:47:53 AM
Adding something like this to this mod...

would be a very nice feature. So we can write stuff for the visitors and put a link for registering.

You can parse it and add the code needed
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3107
(if you want to use that feature now)
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Advertisement: