News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[TIP GUIDE] Setting up a gmail account on SMF

Started by Night09, October 19, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucas-ruroken

Adk Portal 3.1 is coming....

Design your universe!

AZMazda3

The single google email info worked for us for now. THanks!

Ryan2320

Thanks alot! This has help alot.. :)

Thanks again

Soulgirl

Brilliant, you saved my day as I couldn't work it out.  Thank you! xxx

KensonPlays

Haven't set up on smf end, but use 3/50 stanard google apps email: my main, noreply, and my email for when clients email me.

ben sisko

DaBrute

Tomy Tran

This TIP is no more useful:

For forum I have setup with SMF 2.0 RC5, Google mail apps intergrated with my domain. It is successfully with mail send and receive via Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 but unsuccessfull with it on forum:

Action - Reset password:
http://forum.mysite.com/index.php?action=reminder;sa=picktype
2: fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out)
File: /home/toantm27/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1343

See detail in line 1343:
1342:    // Try to connect to the SMTP server... if it doesn't exist, only wait three seconds.
==>1343:    if (!$socket = fsockopen($modSettings['smtp_host'], empty($modSettings['smtp_port']) ? 25 : $modSettings['smtp_port'], $errno, $errstr, 3))

Other error:
http://forum.mysite.net/index.php?action=reminder;sa=picktype
Unable to connect to Server via SMTP: 110 : Connection timed out

After see again in MS Outlook, I see it allow to try connecting to Server timeouts is 1 min (short is 10 sec), but in line 1343 of file /home/toantm27/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php it allows only 3 secs. I dont know much but when I set it from 3 to 29 or 60 secs, it always say: Server error (and nothing recorded into Logs.

Any solution you have now? Share it please!

Garou

It still works that way on most servers however Ive come across a couple of hosts that are blocking mail services like that. For some reason they think its more secure if their mail server is used.  You end up having to use the php mail setting in SMF, which sends the mail from the hosts server.

The header information in the email will read  From: whatever address you set up in the mail settings of SMF then it will also say Mailed by: your hosts server.

If you have a text record set up with your DNS (highly recommended) you have to add the host to the record as well as Google, otherwise it will be considered as spam through most filters because the originating host isnt validated.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

purnima

Before, I don't know this setting information. Thank you for sharing this guide.

mastro

I was trying for a long time to configure google apps with smf. The solution for me was to change the Mail type from smtp to (PHP default). All the rest same as the guide ssl://smtp.gmail.com 465 etc..

Hope I've helped someone!!

Garou

Quote from: Garou on March 24, 2011, 03:43:27 PM
Ive come across a couple of hosts that are blocking mail services like that. For some reason they think its more secure if their mail server is used.  You end up having to use the php mail setting in SMF, which sends the mail from the hosts server.

Essentially you are not using Gmail to send the mail, you are using your hosts PHP mail.

coolcurrent

Quote from: BEH on July 03, 2010, 06:45:43 AM
I am trying for configuring smtp server settings for sending automatic mails through smf upon registration, activation, new post etc. to users, but facing difficulties from last few days. Still not able to configure.

Details:
I am hosting my site on freehostia: Although they don't provide outgoing smtp for my free hosting plan, but still smtp: mbox.freehostia.com [nofollow] works perfectly for sending and receiving emails through microsoft outlook.

Firstly I tried:
Mail type        : SMTP
SMTP server       : mbox.freehostia.com [nofollow] (it works on outlook)
SMTP port       : 25 (same on outlook)
SMTP username  : [email protected]   
SMTP password  : emailpassword

It gives the error @ error log:
fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to mbox.freehostia.com [nofollow]:25 (Permission denied)
Now I thought that my host server may not be allowing to send mail (as not allowed in my plan (but still I am able to do that through outlook)) So I configured google app for my website as explained by nightbre in this post.

After successfully configuration, I tried following on outlook and it worked
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.gmail.com [nofollow] ; port: 995 ; ticked on: This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com  ; port: 465 ; ticked on: This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

But when I am using this on smf server setting it is not working:
Trial:1
SMTP server       : smtp.gmail.com [nofollow]
SMTP port       : 465

Error:
fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com [nofollow]:465 (Permission denied)

Trial:2
SMTP server       : ssl://smtp.gmail.com

Error:
fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Permission denied)

Trial:3
SMTP server       : ssl://smtp.googlemail.com

Error:
fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.googlemail.com
:465 (Permission denied)

I am puzzled; Please help!!!

If you are hosting on a free hots, then they must have blocked smtp

Jasonsj10

This tutorial is amazing. Thank you so much, I was having horrible issues with this spam. So now i got Email Verification and Questions :D

captaingeek

if the free gapps limit is 500 emails per day you can enable the mail q to send only 20 emails per hour correct?

Jasonsj10

Sadly i ruined my website and had to restart. I do not remember where to enable the "php_openssl" Could you help me out?

Jasonsj10

sambling

Won't that kill your gmail account? It did when I tried it on wordpress....
www.forumhoopla.com Forum Promotion

Advertisement: