News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Related topics / Random Topic?

Started by Ivan Minic, April 27, 2005, 01:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Minic

Almost every forum script has eather built in "related topics" feature or as a mod. I don't seem to find it, so, I'm asking you to think about it.
You all know how related topics work.
And for the random topics... make possible for admins to set number of random topics titles and link that would be show while viewing certain topic. Random topics can be from the same forum or cathegory or alltogether randomly selected.

Ivan Minic

sifirforum.com

me too.

its very usefull future?

anyone interest to make that mode ?
SIFIR proudly hosted by servega

Ivan Minic

I need this one badly
You can find phpbb version of Related topic mod here
This would make many problems easier to solve, and people would be able to go from one topic they are interested in, to another

rhizome

Yes I totally agree.

This is a great mod for SMF, for linking topics together.
Here's an example of it in action: http://literaryforums.org/forums/about152.html

And I can imagine it working great for this forum too - even likely to cut down on the support questions don't you think  ;D

Maybe useful enough to make it a core selectable feature? (as I reckon it's as, if not  even more, useful than the last x posts listing at the bottom of the forum)

EDIT: Hmm...just wondering on what kind of performance hit this mod might incur. As it would do a search on every time a thread was opened? Maybe then what other forums it searches on should be selectable, thus limited?

Ivan Minic

I can find code that does same thing on other forum scripts, someone just has to rewrite it...
And for perfomance hit... maybe there is some kind of solution...

rhizome

Well to reduce the performance hit, the search should be restricted to Admin selected specific forums, rather than searching through the whole board.
And for example, you could have it so you can select it to only search on the forum that the topic exists in etc.

That would help?

Ivan Minic

Would but for some people it woudln't help... what about forums that are strictly oriented, with them difference between forums in content isn't so huge and many of the similar topics can be found all around the board...
I don't know how some of forums do that, but i can see that it doesn't effect ther performance by much...
Will ask around, have a friend that wrote similar script year or two ago and it worked like a charm with tForum...

rhizome

I see your point. Though the option of selecting which forums to search on is still useful whatever, as some forums may be redundant.

The phpbb hack you originally point to I think only searches the topic line, rather than the message body? If so, then perhaps not so much of a performance hit after all?

Ivan Minic

That hack relates only to topic title and pretty poor results and it usually misses some topics ... but that is the only mod i found online.. pretty much all HQ boards have it as a standard feature.. vB for example....

sifirforum.com

where is süper SMF code and coders ?

i want that mod.

it must be in good forum software.

Ivan Minic

It's not a problem to code it.. it is problem to code it and don't affect forum speed.. especially on bigger boards..

sifirforum.com

:-\

may be possible mod makse this:

1. admin manualy produce index file in admin panel

(index file like as glossary: related words index)

2. related links link use that index file (from database)

::)

Ivan Minic

How much time would it take every day to make index on a forum that has 40 000 topics with 200 new daily? :)

sifirforum.com

i mean a code which is in admin panel automaticly produce an index file with a button

or without admin command every hour automaticly by SMF

dtm.exe

Random topics aren't always a good thing.  It could give users reason to post in dead or expired topics :-\.

-Dan The Man

Ivan Minic

Hm.. well that can be interesting.. maybe even set to work only when load is under 2 for example.. that might be nice... a whole lot of work though... but nice

sifirforum.com

actualy if you have dead or expired topic, you must delete them.

but some forum content (like me) need related topics. dead or live.

dtm.exe

Quote from: leke on August 02, 2005, 12:15:02 AM
actualy if you have dead or expired topic, you must delete them.

but some forum content (like me) need related topics. dead or live.

Most people don't delete any old or expired topics.

-Dan The Man

Ivan Minic

Well, you can set it not to include topics that didn't have reply in last 6 months

Advertisement: