News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Annoy User

Started by Arantor, October 22, 2009, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: king kratos on October 24, 2009, 09:58:10 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of strain would this mod make on server resources (CPU and RAM)? My host allows a 10% consistant use of server resources. While they state that a violation doesn't mean that my account would be disabled, I don't want to be a problem client. It seems that some of these features (such as the 5-25 second delay) would create quite some strain on the server's resources.

Sorry, I meant to answer this before.

You don't have to enable that one; each option is individually optional to enable.

That particular option shouldn't actually trip alarms though since it's handled through usleep which on properly configured hosts shouldn't consume much CPU. But if in doubt, set it to 0 then it won't trigger.

king kratos

That is good to know. Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use this as a prank to the other admin working with me, but after reading the thread that was posted earlier (about a guy leaving the forum after this prank), I have reconsidered. Besides (I am thinking to myself), this is a really mean and bad prank anyways. LOL

Kratos

Arantor

Might want to look at that again. Nao/Gilles doesn't appear to have left the SMG project as far as I can see.

It isn't meant to be used as a prank. It is intended fully as a method of getting rid of people that you don't want on the forum. Though I can see why it can be prankish to use too.

Sorck

Quote from: king kratos on October 29, 2009, 11:15:56 AM
That is good to know. Thanks for the reply. I was planning to use this as a prank to the other admin working with me, but after reading the thread that was posted earlier (about a guy leaving the forum after this prank), I have reconsidered. Besides (I am thinking to myself), this is a really mean and bad prank anyways. LOL

Kratos

If you pull this trick on April 1st then I think your co-admin will take the joke quite well but I wouldn't advise using this on a regular basis unless you want to get rid of a member.

I'm going to have a more entertaining April Fools joke next year, one which involves rigging of the word censorring (changing every instance of 'the' to 'frog' maybe :P)

king kratos

Yea, it really shouldn't be used as a prank tool, but if you really think about it, I bet you start laughing.

Kratos

Sorck

I installed this mod and I though I'd acidently added myself to the 'annoy' list. A day later my G-Mod came to me and was shouting that the forum wasn't working. I thought I must have used this mod on him accidently but it turned out I'd simply changed the theme directory (I'm running a test forum on the same DB tables, as it will soon take over my current forum.) The reason it's seperate is as it's easier to mod a forum if it's not live.

Arantor

It's also possible to forcibly disable it if you have DB access, of course, but either removing yourself from the annoy list (updating members table) or adding to the settings table.

Arantor

Updated to 1.1 to add configuration on the lengths of delay, plus added a Javascript alert to further irritate.

Also now has RC2 compatibility thanks to Dragooon.

robg2251

Any advice for the custom theme users?  I didn't proceed applying this mod after I received the following error..  I wasn't sure what it would do:

*     4.     Execute Modification     ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php     Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php    Test failed

Everything else looked good.  Let me know a workaround for this, if there is one!   

Arantor

It just means you have a mod that's already modified the profile template, and you'll have to do that edit manually.

Please see: Manual Installation of Mods

busterone

Extremely devilish Mod. I just installed it for a couple of troublesome members.  ;D
I am curious about the url redirect.
Have you considered multiple redirect url choices for a future version. ?

Arantor

I hadn't, no, but it's quite doable. Though I think I'd limit it to about 5.

busterone

I was thinking 3 to 5 max. If the same user gets redirected to the same site/page too many times, he may get suspicious that the admin is playing with him. One of my particular troublesome users especially. He has already accused me of it once a few months ago when I had done nothing.  :)

Arantor

Sounds good to me. I don't think it'd get into the realms of setting %ages of which URL it'd pick, it would just filter through from 'redirect to URL' to randomly picking from the options given.

DarkSylver

Would be no way to change the MOD to be compatible with 1.1.8?

Arantor

If I were to backport it to 1.1, I'd do 1.1.10 which is the current version. 1.1.8 has security vulnerabilities.

Note there is a different between "no way" and "no incentive/time/energy/desire". Yes, it would be possible, no I don't want to do it, to be honest.

Marsh

This mod is brilliant, amazing thanks for posting it.
625,195 Posts in 50,808 Topics by 34,295 Members.