News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Annoy User

Started by Arantor, October 22, 2009, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Quote from: Arantor on January 22, 2011, 06:44:04 AM
I did that for a reason: IP numbers aren't really that effective, because you have to invariably use a range of them which will hit other users too.

Yes and no.   :o

Yes if you are talking about real spammers.   O:)

But I disagree if you are talking about the normal flamer.  Usually some kid who watches way too much professional wrestling.  Most of them have normal internet addresses that are fixed for at least a month.  Maybe you could put an optional time limit like 0-8 weeks on the ip block?    :-[
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

*shrug* I'm not updating the mod at all anyway. When I wrote it though I wrote it with that express design in mind that it was by user id not by IP block.

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

(Even if I did want to, which I don't, my name's not over the door as it were)

I am however looking at implementing this into something else anyway and doing it a lot more cleanly since I don't have to make it a mod there ;)

swordsman1

That's a shame. I think using ip numbers could considerably enhance this mod. It would then appear that there is a genuine fault with the server, rather than the penny dropping as soon as they log out and see the site running fine. And I can just imagine the fuss they would cause if they found out they were the victim of a "dirty trick".

Using ip numbers is no worse than the existing ban mechanism to get rid of troublemakers who return under under a different username name. And Annoy User is so much less confrontational than banning.

I find ip numbers, even in ranges, rarely overlap other users. If does it, couldn't it just be made optional?

However if Arantor can no longer work on this mod, I can respect that, and it still has some use. The level of disruption just has to be kept to a minimum, in the hope they don't notice when they log out. A little is better than nothing. But in my case it hasn't proved to be a disincintive and my troublemakers are still with me.  :(

Arantor

QuoteHowever if Arantor can no longer work on this mod

It's not so much a case of 'can', more 'choose not to'.

More-to-life

Hi guys
Will this work with RC5 or will there by a update for it?

Thanks
UK Bike Forum - The biggest motorcycle forum magazine in Wales UK.
Gear Up Magazine - Gear Up Motorcycle Magazine.
United Bikers UK Motorcycle Forum - A Brand New UK Bike Forum.
Used Cars South Wales - Search For Your Next Used Car In Laleston, Bridgend, South Wales.
Bikers Of Wales Motorcycle Website - Motorbike Info
Honda - Honda UK

Arantor

It might work, can't see there being an update for it here.

There is a version that is updated, and tested on RC5, but it's a paid version.

live627

I have just backported this to 1.1. It can be purchased on my site (http://dev.liive627.com, front page enter block)

In 1.1.x, things are positioned a bit differently. The settings are under Features and Options, and the list of annoyed users is under Members in the administration center.

aidyUK

does this work with RC5 because i would like to use this BIG time
Infernogaming | xxaidyukxx <- Aim just add me

live627

There is an authorized version out in the wild that is compatible with SMF 2.0 RC5 at http://dev.live627.com/index.php?action=mods#30

aidyUK

do i have to pay for this
Infernogaming | xxaidyukxx <- Aim just add me

Arantor

Well, you can try and make the old free version work on RC5, without much guarantee of support, or you can pay $20 for a version that will be supported for a year from the day of purchase and if there are any updates or new features in that time, you don't have to pay again.

Sabre™

@ live627
With your 'paid' version, are there any new functions/features within? I've already changed the necessary code from the original version to sit in rc5(was quite easy), but I'm curios to see what's on offer.
Cheers :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

live627

No(t yet). I am thinking of adding IP options but it's  a low priority right now.

swordsman1

Sounds promising. I would certainly pay for this mod if it had the ip address feature. Using an ip address is essential to prevent the annoyed user from logging out and realising he has been duped. The whole point of this mod is surely to convincingly trick the troublemaker into thinking the server is faulty and thus make him decide to leave without creating any upset or confrontation. The worse thing that could happen is for that user to discover he is the victim of a 'dirty trick'.

Arantor

Or you do what I originally intended when I first created it, and don't set the figures too high...

swordsman1

I've already set it as high as I dare. 25% of the time my annoyed users experience a delay. Any more than that and I am sure they would spot the difference when they log off. But that hasn't deterred them and my troublemakers remain. I would like to give them a delay 100% of the time whether they are logged in or out, that way they will beleive the server is faulty without smelling a rat.

Arantor

If you set it to 100% of the time, you might as well just ban them and save yourself the system performance hit.

Spoogs

It's working just fine for me, and since guests cant do much more than view a board or 2, I could careless what they think after they logout I know they'll be annoyed when logged in.

Advertisement: