News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Annoy User

Started by Arantor, October 22, 2009, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordsman1

Quote from: Once Upon A Star on May 03, 2011, 05:59:42 PM
If you set it to 100% of the time, you might as well just ban them and save yourself the system performance hit.

But that is the beauty of Annoy User. You can quietly get rid of unwanted users without banning them and really annoying them with all the repercussions that brings. Eg.  them dissing you on other forums, deliberately causing trouble by re-registering, starting DoS attacks, their fans mounting bring back xxxxx campaigns, etc, etc.

But they are not going to go unless the forum appears broken and is painful for them to use, and that means having high figures. But if they then browse the forum whilst logged out (as many members do), then they will immediately spot that there is nothing really wrong with the forum and realise they are the victim of a dirty trick and go on to cause all sorts of trouble for you.

Arantor

-sigh- It works perfectly for the task for which it was designed. I *deliberately by design* did not include IP address.

swordsman1

....which is to quietly encourage troublemakers to leave by making them think there is a problem with the forum, is it not?

I have a big forum with 7 annoyed users and they are still with me weeks later. The reason is because the figures are set too low, but any higher and they will realise that when they log out, there is really no problem at all with the forum and worse, know that I have been playing a 'dirty trick' on them.

Arantor

Yes, and on the forum for which I wrote it, it did the job perfectly. Thus it does precisely what I made it to do, and any more than that is frankly a bonus. It's not my fault that my needs differed to yours and that I wasn't prepared to write it to meet your needs... Maybe those who look after it now might bother to do so, though.

ACAMS

HAHAHA.......I like this, I didn't think I would, but I do!

THANKS!

Sabre™

Quote from: live627 on May 03, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
No(t yet). ....

Ok cool :)
I'm spewing I lost all of the mods Arantor made, especially the mp3 attachment mod I requested! lol
I left them on a server, forgot about them, and cleared the server ::)
That's the way it goes ... as they say.
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

live627

Quote from: Sabre™ on May 04, 2011, 04:18:23 AM
especially the mp3 attachment mod I requested! lol
Some of Arantor's mod are available to purchase on my site, including that one http://dev.live627.com/index.php?action=mods#27 (He gave them to me to use after he closed his site)

Sabre™

Oh yeah nice.
I was lucky enough to have a copy given to me.
Cheers :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

live627

http://dev.live627.com/index.php?action=mods#30

1.4 released with support for adding IP addresses to annoy! The entire procedure to annoy a user has not changed; once you choose to annoy a particular user, their IP address gets added to the list.

So what happens if their address changes because their DHCP server updated?
Because SMF refreshes a member's IP once they login, the annoy script detects that and refreshes its data accordingly.

What about performance? The IP lookup generates an extra query.
It's cached. The cache is valid for one hour and is based on the IP being called. Also, the cache is flushed when a user is added or removed from the annoy list.

swordsman1

Sabre™

Hi Live.
I've been asked to share the edits I made to get the original package to work in RC5, but I thought I'd better ask you first, as you have your paid version which does the same and more.

live627

Back a page or two, Spoogs posted what edits he did for RC4 compatibility. I'm quite sure they work on RC5 and even final, unless he goofed something up badly, which I'm inclined to think not.http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343810.msg2912206#msg2912206 (Failed edits only)

Sabre™

Oh yep, I didn't look back to have a look.
Cool, now peeps will see the link to the edits.
Cheers :)

studiowi33

Quote from: Sabre™ on July 26, 2010, 01:28:39 AM
In your UltimateProfile.template.php search for

Thanks Sabre for BOTH posts regarding how to make this work. After editing the 5 files, it works on my 2.0 (final) AND with UP.
(On the POD theme!)

-s.w
SMF 2.0.2

jsamples

What happened to the smf 1.x.x version of "Annoy User" Mod ?

I see its been ported to smf 2.0 but I can't find the older version. Can I please d/l the package from someone?

Thanks

wynnyelle

Does this work with IPs only? Like, it would allow it to do that even if an annoying user is logged out?

live627

Yes it does. The paid version, that is.

wynnyelle

Thanks for letting me know. What does the paid cost?

live627

$20 with a full year of support and updates included.

Advertisement: