News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Annoy User

Started by Arantor, October 22, 2009, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Robville

Ooh, thanks a lot! I'm going to enjoy this.  :P
"What goes on the internet, stays on the internet"
...Except your forum database if you forget to back it up.

Chalky

busterone

I have had so much fun messing with the few trolls that have joined my forum. I had one that I had problems with quite a few times, even temporarily banned him for 30 days once.  He eventually got tired of all the errors this mod gave him and left. He tried to return under a different name a few months later, but his IP and posting style gave him away immediately.  I put him back on the annoy list. After a week, he has not logged back on in over two months. :)  This is by far the best way to deal with troublesome members.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: busterone on December 08, 2013, 02:17:57 PM
I have had so much fun messing with the few trolls that have joined my forum. I had one that I had problems with quite a few times, even temporarily banned him for 30 days once.  He eventually got tired of all the errors this mod gave him and left. He tried to return under a different name a few months later, but his IP and posting style gave him away immediately.  I put him back on the annoy list. After a week, he has not logged back on in over two months. :)  This is by far the best way to deal with troublesome members.

My only "wish" for this mod would be "per user" settings ... some users deserve to be annoyed more than others...

;)

Nothing quite like forwarding them to a dummy "copy" of your site and letting them wonder why there is no traffic...

:D

Arantor

I've been thinking about doing a new version of this for 2.1 and I might just add that. I had a lot of fun the first time around with this... I wonder if anyone realised the Iron Maiden lyrics ;)

TrickyRicky

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 12, 2013, 03:00:10 PM
I've been thinking about doing a new version of this for 2.1 and I might just add that. I had a lot of fun the first time around with this... I wonder if anyone realised the Iron Maiden lyrics ;)

Looking forward to new update.

Arantor

Wait, I just said I was *thinking* about it. Nowhere did I say I *would*, because it's solely dependent on having the time to actually make it - and if I'm making it, I'm not making SMF 2.1...

glennk

does this work on 206 ?

Arantor

Updated for 2.0.7.

One of these days I'm planning on rewriting this somewhat to use features that now exist in SMF that didn't when I wrote it - like hooks. (This was written originally for 2.0 RC1.2 and tweaked for 2.0 RC2, an entire year before the hook improvements in RC4 that would have made it possible)

But I want to add new 'annoy' features as well, so any ideas you have to make it worth doing a 1.3 update, please let me know :) (I have a few of my own but some of those may have to wait until SMF 2.1 to be implemented)

RoadRanger

Thanks again for the update, I just installed it 8) .

Scratching my Head

Quote from: Arantor on January 31, 2014, 02:06:24 PM

But I want to add new 'annoy' features as well, so any ideas you have to make it worth doing a 1.3 update, please let me know :) (I have a few of my own but some of those may have to wait until SMF 2.1 to be implemented)

Making their posts appear only to them would be trick.

sawz

very nice Arantor, i got a good laugh out of it. just imagine the possibilities. lol
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

FrizzleFried

I do believe the place to SET ANNOY is in the PROFILE>SUMMARY section?  Right?  It's no longer there.  I can't set or disable ANNOY.  I am guessing some upgrade and/or mod changed something.  What can I look for in what file to try to fix this issue?  Is there some other location I can SET/DISABLE annoy on a specific person?

Thanks!

Arantor

That's where it's always been and it hasn't changed. Nor is there anywhere else. If you're using Ultimate Profile this could be the problem, or if you changed themes and haven't reapplied any changes to the theme's Profile.template.php file.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: ‽ on June 14, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
That's where it's always been and it hasn't changed. Nor is there anywhere else. If you're using Ultimate Profile this could be the problem, or if you changed themes and haven't reapplied any changes to the theme's Profile.template.php file.

No.. the only mods I've installed recently have been the MENTION mod... but i use this mod (the annoy mod) so infrequently it could have happened a while ago.   It's installed... I can see the annoy ADMIN section... I can see the list in my moderating screen... just no link to enable/disable annoy from individual users.

Looking at the profile screen I DID install the NEW TOPICS / REPLIES by user mod at some point.

Arantor

*shrug* Then I don't know what you've done. The mod only touches the profile code for adding the link, and it's never done anything different. If it's not working for you, check the relevant code is inside the profile template.

br360

Quote from: Scratching my Head on March 29, 2014, 06:34:50 PM
Quote from: Arantor on January 31, 2014, 02:06:24 PM

Making their posts appear only to them would be trick.

I'll second that. If this mod does get updated in the future, that would be an excellent feature to have.

Arantor

The problem with doing that is the performance penalty that gets applied.

br360

That's too bad. Very little kills off a troll or problem member faster than nobody feeding it. I could only imagine having them wonder why all of their posts keep getting ignored.  :D

Could it possibly be an added feature in the acp, that could be enabled for a forum using a vps or dedicated server- or is the performance hit that big of an issue that it just isn't worth it?

Arantor

It's also seriously effort intensive since you have to do it everywhere the user's posts could be displayed, and there's a lot of those.

You pretty much need it baked in deeper to the core than a mod should be doing.

Not to mention that the minute the troll logs out and browses as a guest, they would see their posts were hidden anyway.

Advertisement: