News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Annoy User

Started by Arantor, October 22, 2009, 01:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordsman1

Quote from: ‽ on June 15, 2014, 06:20:47 PM
Not to mention that the minute the troll logs out and browses as a guest, they would see their posts were hidden anyway.

That applies to all this mod's 'features'. It's a massive drawback and the reason I've stopped using it. As soon as the troublemaker logs off and sees everything operating normally the penny will drop and they will realise they've been tricked.

Perhaps a better new feature that would one avoids this problem. Eg randomly logging out.

Arantor

Not quite the same way (except for the angry warning), because server errors can come and go.

swordsman1

Server errors only occurring when the troll is logged in, but fine when they're logged out. They're not that thick.

Arantor

*shrug* I don't use the mod myself, never actually did use it outside testing, only because people asked for it.

swordsman1

If it wasn't for the logging out issue giving the game away, this mod would be excellent. Making troublemakers quietly leave is far better than using the blunt instrument of banning them. The only solution I can see is throwing up 'problems' that would only legitimately occur when logged in eg. perhaps throwing some "user errors" of some kind, or even better randomly logging them out because their "session has expired" or something.

Arantor

Trouble is, there's no good way to get around that fact. As I said 4 1/2 years ago and will say again: doing it off IP address isn't reliable for guest browsing, nor can you safely use cookies because of the proliferation of multiple devices these days - someone only has to browse on their phone instead of their laptop and the game's up.

Logging out is doable. Messy but doable. Other logged-in-only errors are doable too even without giving the game away too much.

swordsman1

Quote from: ‽ on June 15, 2014, 07:45:05 PM
Logging out is doable. Messy but doable. Other logged-in-only errors are doable too even without giving the game away too much.

Go for it!!  8)

Arantor

Trouble is, over the last few months I've found a sense of disillusionment with regards to anything SMF related :(

butchs

I find that hard to believe.  You have been disillusioned much longer than that.  :)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

It's been getting worse :(

butchs

Me too, every time I see this...

QuoteMOVED: XSS vulnerability
« on: Today at 03:13:56 PM »
This topic has been moved to private board
« Last Edit: Today at 03:15:46 PM by CoreISP »
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

There's a reason for that. Responsible disclosure means not spitting it out in public for anyone to see. It means notifying the people responsible and discussing resolution towards a fixed release.

The reason for the edit is because the standard move notice, of course, leaves the board name in there and a link to the board, but it's not public so it's not especially clever to link to it anyway.

butchs

To an American it is censorship and hiding something under the rug.  Not to mention it annoys me greatly because it prevents me from checking to see if I saw it before

Arantor

The correct behaviour would have been if the reporter had used the security report function rather than posting it publicly because public reports of vulnerabilities suddenly put everyone at risk.

If I found a major vulnerability in one of your mods, would you prefer I told everyone about it (putting everyone at risk) or told you privately?

In this case, this is a new issue that was not known before.

Burke ♞ Knight

I just tested this on a test account on an old site I just use for testing purposes...
ROFLMAO!!!! Is one thing I can say...

I think this is funny as can be. I may have to add it to a couple sites....LOL

busterone

I have had some good laughs with this one.  There is never a perfect solution to trolls, but this mod is the best one I have seen so far.  I have used it on several sites. I have created a few fake members and put them on the annoy list, then logged in with their account to see if I need to raise or lower the thresholds. Each time, I have rolled with laughter imagining how frustrated my real trolls must be feeling.  :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

This is the damn funniest thing I have ever seen here AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH thanks for the mod but I will keep on laughing for the next 2 hours if you don't mind XD
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Eagle31

Anyone know if this will work in 2.15  ?

Shambles

Quote from: Eagle31

It works in my 2.0.15 setup

Arantor

If it doesn't easil
Quote from: Eagle31 on June 20, 2018, 01:43:50 PM

It will.

Advertisement: