News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoLoGHoST

Link to Mod

Languages Supported: English and Russian.
POST RATINGS 1.6
Allows your Posts to be rated on a scale of 1 - 5 stars.  Many features and options included for this.

Detailed Description:
Post Ratings allows your posts to be rated on a scale from 1 - 5 stars.  Users can not rate their own posts.  This mod is completely customizable.  You can choose the rated and non-rated images to display.  Put BBC and Smileys into the rating options.  And many more features.  You can Enable All Posts, and/or New Posts, or Disable All Posts, and/or New Posts from being rated.  You can choose to not allow the First post within a topic to be rated.  You can set the % values for each rating within the Ratings Threshold and also set the Ratings Threshold Strength.  You can also choose a limit on how many ratings each post can have as well as what to do when locking that topic.  If a message and/or topic is removed, all ratings within that message/topic will also be removed.  Also, permissions can be set to allow for enable/disable in topics and/or posts on a per Board basis via Board Profiles.

This mod lacks certain features that are presented in Post Ratings Pro, which can be downloaded here:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=344748.msg3887773#msg3887773
Post Ratings Pro provides everything the Post Ratings Mod has, plus the addional abilities listed below:

• The ability to turn this into a Topic Ratings MOD.
  • Ordering all topics within a board by highest/lowest rating.
  • Guaranteed to work on any SMF 2.0.x version, including the latest!
  • The ability to select Categories/Boards to enable/disable Post Ratings in.
  • Statistics added to the SMF Stats page (index.php?action=stats) for Highest Rated Topics/Posts and Most Rated Users. Adds a complete Statistic settings Administration section for manipulating the output of these statistics.
  • Ability to display ratings on the Message Index.
  • Ability to allow members to rate their own posts (if needed).
  • Ability for those who have permission, to see a break down of ratings for each post/topic, by clicking on the "Rated {x} times." text.
  • Fully customizable for whatever your forum needs. Change any strings (with full BBC code support), images, display output, and more.
  • Fixes Bugs found in the Post Ratings Mod.
  • Integrates into the SMF Moderation Logs, and will let you know when any ratings are enabled/disabled or if any ratings within any topics/posts have been deleted.

Note:  After installation, you should go to your SMF Permissions area and setup the permissions for Post Ratings before Enabling it, that way everything should work as planned once Post Ratings is Enabled in the Topic and Posts Admin Area of SMF.

Important Note:  To ensure Post Ratings Settings are correctly placed and loaded, you will be redirected so that your File Cache will be cleared, directly after installing Post Ratings.  After which, go to: Forum -> Posts and Topics -> Post Ratings and complete setup.  Than make sure you have your permissions set for each usergroup.  You will notice their are Board Profile permissions as well for enabling in topics and posts.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Excellent mod will try it now.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Marcus Forsberg

Great job on this. Nice programming, nice features, nice layout... Keep it up! :D

SoLoGHoST

Thanks very much guys :)

Note:  This is the first mod I ever published that was approved by the SMF Customization Team the first time around and didn't have to be changed, other than my Next Topic Page mod (which is so easy and simple), and my SoLoSMiLeY's mod which is just smiley's, so it's good to know I'm finally getting the hang of making mods for SMF :)

Arantor

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 27, 2009, 03:04:40 PM
Note:  This is the first mod I ever published that was approved by the SMF Customization Team the first time around and didn't have to be changed, other than my Next Topic Page mod (which is so easy and simple), and my SoLoSMiLeY's mod which is just smiley's, so it's good to know I'm finally getting the hang of making mods for SMF :)

And you've made a very fine job of it too :) (In case you're wondering, not all of mine - even now - get through first time)

This is a fantastic mod, please do keep it up!

TwitchisMental

Great mod idea man.

Did you get the idea form a vbulliten mod? (Just wondering)

SoLoGHoST

@ Arantor - WoW, now that is something I would've never expected.  Good to know that, not even, the Great Arantor is exempt from making mistakes. 8)

@ NBK*Twitch - Actually, No, I'm not very familiar with VB's mods as I never actually owned a copy of VB.  Actually, I got the idea from being a part of Graphics Mayhem where we create Logo's and Wallpaper's each month and it's a lot of fun, however, Shortie, the Lord of Mayhem, places the best logo's up top each month.  And I thought it would be a good idea for us to vote on which logo's we liked best.  So thus, Post Ratings was born.  Also, did a search here at SMF and discovered there were a few topics on this that users have previously requested for just this (or close enough to it), so this actually gave me more motivation to code it.

@ alex30 - If you know me, I don't make any mods for 1.1.10.  I have tried this and I just don't like doing it.  Sorry, but, the only way, I'll consider coding a mod for 1.1.10 is for $$.  It's just that I've put 1.1.10 behind me and not interested in looking back.  In short, like I say for all of my mods, if there is enough demand for it for SMF 1.1.10 with users willing to pay $20 USD, I will code it for 1.1.10 (Atleast 10 people).  Otherwise, it's just not worth it for me.

Thanks for liking this mod! :)

MaXiForum.cz

Very nice modification! ;)

SoLoGHoST

Freedbot

Thank you!  Jeez, just what I was looking for.  Rate that Topic has a couple visual quirks and it lacks features, then I find this.  Again, thank you.  Now if I may make some demands, err... I mean reque... suggestions.  ;D

First, I'd like to be able to switch it up so it can be set to only rate topics, rather than topics and posts.  Of course, a column with star ratings on the boards so you can sort by rating (that'd be the whole point to rating in the first place).  I see you already plan on doing that for posts, I'm sure that won't be as easy to code since sorting posts dynamically isn't in the default GUI, but I look forward to it.  Anyway, lastly, I need to be able to disable/enable ratings by default on a per board basis.

I will be using, updating, and testing this mod for you starting.........   now!  :)

SoLoGHoST

Hello Freedbot,

Thanks for your demands, err Suggestions ;)  There will be another update that will address all of the things you mentioned as well as many many more features that you haven't mentioned, soon.  Just can't pinpoint an exact date for ya.  Also, I may or may not make this newer version a PAID FOR mod, as I haven't decided on this yet.  Though, if I do, will be approx. $20 - $30 USD to purchase.  And if I do, I'll make the link available within this topic for where to purchase Post Ratings Pro at.  But, like I said, still considering this.

Cheers :)

Freedbot

I am but a simple machine.  I haz not this "moniez" 4 which U ask.  I do however have a simple plan:  To increase my e-peen by learning web design and sharing the fruits of my digital labor with the world, so that the masses may have a place to congregate.  They shall marvel and weep at the erected site I hath wrought, and worship it's creator.  Thus is the dream of the freed bot.

Two months ago, with no prior knowledge of http or css, I began to enact my plan.  I happened upon a free copy of Dreamweaver, so I started there.  I tinkered with it and perused instructional videos over my free time.  A little later, I set up a free account on Awardspace, and hosted a simple placeholder page.  I had a truly liquid interface and some simple (poor) graphics designed and in place.  I struggled to center my navigation bar without any designated widths in place, but did not give up.  Next came the truly hard part.  I searched, for I needed a free forum that would get the job done.  All roads lead to SMF.

The install wasn't difficult, and the forum was speedy, but when I tried to introduce my required features through modification I discovered the dreaded PHP safe mode.  The fault lied with Awardspace.  I searched for a better free host, but Awardspace still appeared to be near the top of the list for features.  Rather than pay for a host I dug in my heals.  I had a Dell Optiplex GX260 in the other room as a backup computer.  I had been using it to teach myself of Linux.  I mercilessly reformatted and began the arduous task of setting up a functional Web/DNS/Mail host, again without prior knowledge.  I would not be denied my free access to "how to shot web"!

I now have a nearly completed basic format.  I just need some cleanup, and a whole buttload of content to put in it.  I am running a co.cc [nofollow] domain, but when I can get a donate button in, and enough people to cover a couple bucks a month, I will buy a domain name.  Victory shalll be mine.

The Freedbot

Sorry for waxing idiotic.  I do that sometimes. O:)
And I needed to get that off my chest.
I'm also working on making the Freedbot admin sort of a crazy mascot robot thing.  I have yet to decide if the idea is cool or just Royally Retarded.  :-\ It worked for ThinkGeek's monkey.

Anyway, My point is that while your mod will be exactly/perfectly what I need when you finish it.  I'm devoting myself to as little expense as possible on this since this is entirely self taught and I don't want to invest anything until I know it'll be popular.  I also wasn't lying when I said I'm broke.  My policy on this experience has been: "if the easy way costs money, do it the hard way".  I'm learning a lot this way and not regretting it so far.  If I have to pay for your mod, no offense, then I'd rather modify a lesser mod until it does the basics of what I need.  Or if I have to I'll just go out and learn enough PHP to make some crappy modifications from scratch.  I really don't want to do that because my attempt would be a pain to do, take forever, and be a poor hack compared to what you've got there. :P

SoLoGHoST

New Update, found error in Post Ratings, hmmm, and Squashed it.  Hopefully no more errors.  Basically, if a topic was trying to be moved to another board, the is_ratings error would pop up and prevent this from happening, since $topicOptions did not have $ratings_mode defined.  Please note, if there is a function within any of you mods that call createPost and/or modifyPost functions within SMF, and you have Post ratings installed.  Within $topicOptions array, you'll need to have 'ratings_mode' => 1, defined in there.  And within $msgOptions array, you'll need to have 'ratings_enabled' => 1, in there.  Ofcourse setting this to 0 should make it disabled, but it's you're call on how you set it.

So, this MOD has been revised (still at version 1.0) so as to FIX this problem of preventing the topic from being moved when Moving topics from 1 board to another via posting Additional Options, etc..

The following edits should be made to ./Sources/MoveTopic.php (This has been included within the new REVISED Post Ratings Mod):
FIND:
'smileys_enabled' => 1,
ADD AFTER:

'ratings_enabled' => 0,

FIND:
'lock_mode' => 1,
ADD AFTER:

'ratings_mode' => 0,

That it.  You can make the edits manually if you already have the mod installed, as it will keep your current ratings within your posts.  Otherwise, if this doesn't matter to you, go ahead and uninstall and reinstall it.

Oh, and bytheway Freedbot, nice to get to know you a little ;)

Bruno36

Hello!

I have an error message when I want to write a new topic

The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: is_ratings
Bruno36 the French
SMF 2.0.9

SoLoGHoST

Wow, I see what you mean, will fix momentarilly and thanks for pointing that out.

SoLoGHoST

Hello, it's because you have it disabled, and I musta missed that :(

Here's how to fix it, and am currently reuploading the package right now.

Open up ./Sources/Post.php and do a search for:

ratings_mode

It should find it in there 2 times.  Where it gets defined in $topicOptions['ratings_mode'] change the last words in there from null to 0.  And that's it.

Cheers, will upload the package right now.

C4G-TK

I see where it can be up to the author of a post to choose whether or not their post is able to be rated.  But, is there an option to make ALL posts automatically be required to have the post rated?

-img removed-

Bruno36

SoLoGHoST thank you for this great mod
Bruno36 the French
SMF 2.0.9

SoLoGHoST

Thanks Very Much Bruno :)

Quote from: C4G-TK on November 07, 2009, 12:30:26 PM
I see where it can be up to the author of a post to choose whether or not their post is able to be rated.  But, is there an option to make ALL posts automatically be required to have the post rated?

If you want all posts automatically set to rated, go into Post Ratings Settings -> Automatic Ratings Setting for Topics, selecting -> All Topics (Enabled) will set all of your topics to enabled on your forum and automatically set new topics created to enabled as well.  selecting -> New Topics (Enabled) will not touch any of your old topics, it will only make it so that any topic created after you set this, will be automatically set to enabled.

If you don't want users to be able to enable/disable their own topics for rating it or not, you can do this on a PER BOARD BASIS, in Board Profile Permissions.  You should go to the Permissions section, select the membergroup you want to disable this for, and just make sure that Enable Post Ratings (underneath the Topics section) is unchecked for Own and unchecked for Any.  If you don't want them to be able to enable/disable rating of posts in any topic (including their own topics), you can also do this for Posts.  So underneath the Posts section of the Board Profile Permissions, you will see Disable Ratings (uncheck both, Own post and Any post).  There, they will have NO control now, over whether their posts/topics are being rated.  This will be completely dependant now on the Post Ratings Admin settings, unless someone who has the permission to do any post/any topic changes this.

Well, hopefully you guys understand as I felt this to be the best and most logical way to implement this.

Advertisement: