News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4G-TK

OK, great.  I've really liked the Rate That Topic mod, but wanted something that was for every post and not just the first post.  This looks to be like what I need then.  I kind of got confused with all the options on yours! (It doesn't take much.) 

-img removed-

SoLoGHoST

I hear ya.  Well, actually, it takes a lot more than you think.  It's extremely involved when dealing with posts as there are many options that are permitted for posts within SMF, Lock, Sticky, Modify, Disable Smilies, Announce, etc. etc. etc..  So this makes it exceedingly difficult, since you'd have to take all of this into consideration and than some on creating a mod that does anything to actual posts.  The options for Post Ratings are needed to provide flexibility within the mod (to suit your needs better), for all of the things that were considered when creating the mod, to give you control over how it works.  Since what's the point of having something new and/or different, if you have no control over it, or very limited control over it.  You might say that I'm a control freak when it comes to offering control to the END-USER of my projects...lol.  And it's also, because I can't decide on what to do myself.  So if I get stuck within coding on the decision of should I do this?  or should I do that?  I'll normally just say, ahhhh, what the %%&#, let the user decide on what they want and move on.

Cheers :)

C4G-TK

LOL

I mean it doesn't take much to get me confused!  LOL :D

-img removed-

SoLoGHoST

hehe, OK, I gotcha.

Thanks for clearing that up :-X ;)

Freedbot

I noticed when uninstalling and reinstalling the fixed version that uninstalling does not remove the files added to the custom theme folder.  Pretty sure it's only images, but I figured I should mention it.

SoLoGHoST

Custom Theme folder??  No files should be added by Post Ratings to a custom theme folder.  All files go within the default theme folder.

Are you saying that the files that go into the default theme folder do not all get removed?? 

Here are the files installed:<require-file name="PostRatings.php" destination="$sourcedir" />
<require-file name="postRatings.js" destination="$themedir/scripts" />
<require-file name="enable_ratings.png" destination="$imagesdir/buttons" />
<require-file name="disable_ratings.png" destination="$imagesdir/buttons" />
<require-file name="delete_ratings.png" destination="$imagesdir/buttons" />
<require-dir name="post_ratings" destination="$imagesdir" />

And Here is the uninstall xml code for removing the files installed...

<remove-file name="$sourcedir/PostRatings.php" />
<remove-file name="$themedir/scripts/postRatings.js" />
<remove-file name="$imagesdir/buttons/enable_ratings.png" />
<remove-file name="$imagesdir/buttons/disable_ratings.png" />
<remove-file name="$imagesdir/buttons/delete_ratings.png" />
<remove-dir name="$imagesdir/post_ratings" />
<code>postratingsUninstall.php</code>

Seems to be removing the images to me.  What images aren't removed??

Freedbot

(copy-pasta'd directly) I mean this..

- Install in Other Themes

Extract File       ./Themes/BacknBlack201/images/buttons/enable_ratings.png     
      Extract File    ./Themes/BacknBlack201/images/buttons/disable_ratings.png    
      Extract File    ./Themes/BacknBlack201/images/buttons/delete_ratings.png    
      Extract Tree    ./Themes/BacknBlack201/images/post_ratings

These are the same as the files installed to the default theme images folder, they aren't removed upon uninstallation.  This is of course using the packages manager.  It has the choice to install to the custom theme, but doesn't remember it has when you choose to uninstall.

SoLoGHoST

Well than this is a problem with SMF, nothing I can do about it as a mod author than.

Arantor

Indeed, this is an SMF issue, because it's never recorded which other themes it has been installed on.

SoLoGHoST

Arantor

Freedbot

Hmm, that is unfortunate.  I hadn't noticed before.  :-[ I'll have to be careful when next I go to uninstall something.  With all the customization of the theme and color scheme I only use one theme.  I don't even allow the default theme as an option.  The only reason I ever go to the default is to debug any quirks I find on the other theme.

SoLoGHoST

Ok guys, Post Ratings now compatible with SMF RC2, and actually I like it better with Curve than with the Core theme.  But, than again, I think everything looks better in the Curve Theme as opposed to the Core Theme.

Cheers and Enjoy :)

anewhobby

Dose this work on version 1.1.10?

SoLoGHoST

No, if you want a 1.1.10 Version of this mod and are willing to pay $20 USD for it, I will do it once I have 10 people interested for this.

jdvarner

Very Nice mod. Interested in a 1.1.10 version.

vkot

The number os voters should be displayed too! A rating gets more credibility when there are many voters and vice-versa.
A topic with a rating of 5 stars by one voter (probably by the creator of the topic) is not better that a rating of 4.5 stars by 100 voters.

This is what I told to the creator of this mod http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=91 a long time ago. I haven't seen a rating mod that does what I told, and I wonder why it seems that no-one finds it necessary...
For specialized SMF installation/customization, Web Development, Linux Server Administration, click here.
Για εξειδικευμένες υπηρεσίες στα παραπάνω, πατήστε εδώ.

SoLoGHoST

Hello vkot,
I agree, and in Post Ratings, it will tell you how many times the post has been rated... Rated 2 times.  And you are not able to rate your own posts or topics.  Have you tried this mod yet?

When I update this mod so that posts in a topic can be ordered by highest/lowest rating, I will be looking at how many times the post has been rated as well.

anewhobby

Can this mod be set up to only allow rating in the first post?  To basically turn it into a topic rating mod?

SoLoGHoST

Actually, haven't thought of this or why someone would need this.  But will do in a future version.

Currently, I've been occupied with another mod which seems to be taking up most of my time, so I will get back to this mod eventually with tons of more options for it.

Advertisement: