Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anewhobby

That would be awesome...

Xarcell

Does this mod show the rating in the message index?

SoLoGHoST

Hello, if you are referring to a url such as this:  index.php?board=#, than no, it doesn't display on such URLS.  It gets displayed within the topic, so topic must be defined (index.php?topic=#).  I haven't coded it to be able to view it when viewing topics, since this mod is for posts, not sure what rating would be displayed for the topic (perhaps an average of all ratings within that post?).

Well, hopefully this answers your question.  You should look at the pics, as it basically has all of the answers there.

Cheers :)

anewhobby

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on November 17, 2009, 01:12:55 PM
Actually, haven't thought of this or why someone would need this.  But will do in a future version.

Well I know it is not what this mod was originally designed for but the "rate that topic" mod seams to be abandoned.. the author hasn't even been on this site for near 6 months.

Basically I am building a site for the sharing of decks in a duel card game called Call of Cthulhu (kinda like Magic the Gathering but a different game) The idea is that people upload decks and then users can rate the deck... so I only need the original post, or any post with a deck uploaded to be rated...

Is there some kind of way with this mod for teh post author to enable post ratings when he posts it? Like a check box in addition options... What I mean is having a rating on every single post is over kill for my needs but if there was a way to have the mod only have ratings enabled on certain posts in a thread this could work as well.

Spoogs

You may accomplish this if you "enable 1st post rating" play around with the settings a little you might get it to do what you want

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: anewhobby on November 20, 2009, 09:24:19 PM
Is there some kind of way with this mod for teh post author to enable post ratings when he posts it? Like a check box in addition options... What I mean is having a rating on every single post is over kill for my needs but if there was a way to have the mod only have ratings enabled on certain posts in a thread this could work as well.

Ok, than this MOD is exactly perfect for what you need.  Disable and Enable for posts and/or topics are provided within the Additional Options as you mentioned.  If the user doesn't have the board profile permission set to enable/disable ratings within posts/topics, they won't be able to do this.  I've already stated this in an earlier post in this topic, but I'll go ahead and do it again.

Go to the Post Ratings Admin Settings and for the Post Ratings Mode, select Disabled (All Topics) and place a checkmark in Enable First Post Rating.  Also, make sure that Enable Post Ratings (very first option in there) has a checkmark in it.  Click to save the settings.

Now go to Permissions, and select Regular Members (and also do the same thing for other members you want to be able to enable ratings within a post, since all posts will have ratings disabled by default) and select (within the Board Profile Permissions) under Post section, Disable Own.  SAVE this, and do it for each Usergroup you want to be able to enable ratings in posts (they will also be able to enable them also, but ONLY for their own posts).  If you want users to be able to enable/disable ratings in an entire topic that they created, this means all ratings within every post of that topic (including posts that do not belong to them), place a checkmark in Enable Own within the Topic section of the Board Profile Permissions for each usergroup, otherwise, leave this area unchecked.

Now, go into topics and posts and enable whichever one's you'd like enabled.  Just remember if you go back into the Post Ratings Admin Settings make sure that you select Disabled (New Topics) before clicking save, or it will disable all of the topics that have previously been enabled.  You can also, do it right after you do Disabled (All Topics) to make sure you don't accidentally Disable all topics again, since it loads up whatever option you had set before for this when going back to the Post Ratings Admin Settings.

Well, that's all!  All posts created will have Ratings Disabled by default, unless the user enables it manually (either within Additional Options or from the topic display).  All users who have permission to enable/disable their own posts will be able to do so either when creating posts, modifying them, and/or from within the topic (if you have the icons set to show (by default)).  Users who don't have permission to do this simply won't be able to and the ratings for their posts will be disabled by default.

anewhobby

excellent... thanks man...

Ok... I went to Forum/Post ratings and ticked Enable Post Ratings  - Automatic Ratings Setting for Topics - All Topics (Disabled) and Enable First Post Rating

Then in Members/Permissions/General Permissions/Regular Members ticked View Ratings and Rate Posts and Edit Own Rating

Then in Members/Permissions/Edit Profiles/Permissions Profile for Board/Regular Members and ticked Disable Ratings - Own Posts

Is that correct?

Also Guests can not seam to see the rating.. is there a way for them to see it but not to vote?

SoLoGHoST

Yep, that seems to be correct.  If you want Guests to see Ratings, you have to enable View Ratings within the Guest Permissions.  So, in Permissions, click on Guest, tick on View Ratings.  Save and All Done.

PalmBeachPreps

NM, uninstalled.

SoLoGHoST

SoLoGHoST

For anyone who would like to Translate Post Ratings Mod to another language, I have attached the english.xml file zipped up, just change all english words in here to whatever language you are translating to, ofcourse, leave the title "Post Ratings" as is.

Freedbot

I must agree with anewhobby's requests, except for releasing for the old version.  Beware downgrade. ;D
Rate that Topic is too minimalistic and outdated.  My intent is to simply be able have users rate topics, and in some cases posts, so that the more useful and interesting submissions don't disappear into the ether just because there aren't any new posts.  Most boards will be submission based so topic rating is basically a requirement.  As for your progress sologhost, you don't have to explain or apologize for not making MOAR features and updates NOW.  I've been at a dead stop on my site progress for a couple weeks now just because I ran out of steam for it.  Maybe because I ran out of Reese's?  Someone go buy me a bag and I'll add the manga/anime review pages and music page.  In the future, all processes will be powered by Reese's!

Arantor

Quote from: Freedbot on November 27, 2009, 11:37:14 PM
you don't have to explain or apologize for not making MOAR features and updates NOW.  I've been at a dead stop on my site progress for a couple weeks now just because I ran out of steam for it.

I'll remember that next time I get a PM on something.

The key thing here is that the mod author enjoys what they do, because nothing else really matters, IMO.

SoLoGHoST

Yep, this is true.  I enjoy building Mods for you all.  It gives me a sense of satisfaction to know that something I made is making someone else's day, week, month, and/or even year.  Since I know that the BEST THINGS in LIFE are FREE!  Why shouldn't everything else be also.  Just my mo-do for the most part.  Though, I have stated that I will sell mods and have seriously considered doing so and am still considering to this day.  My best work comes when I don't think about the pressures of it.  The pressures of selling it and than, if someone doesn't like it, having to accommodate them, since after all, they paid for it, so people expect more for their money and why shouldn't they?  Giving it away for FREE allows me to develop it in a way that I see fit, rather than the end-user.  And gives me a sense of Freedom in coding more, even if it's a false sense, it still feels good to create something that came entirely from you and not anyone else.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Arantor

Spoken like a true coding fan :)

Freedbot

It's almost like you're trying to make me look like the bad guy.
Ramblomatic ON
When I say I ran out of steam working on my site, I mean I no longer had the motivation to work on it 12 hours a day every day, which was about the pace I was at until a couple weeks ago, then when I was at the stage where all the bugs were worked out finally and it was time for content I stopped.  When I'm ready again in a couple days I'll shell out basically everything in a few sittings.  It's how I work.  Long bursts with long breaks.  Also, as I mentioned, I happened to run out of Reese's, and all other quick food/clean dishes.  It was either stop and work on other things or starve.  I may be a machine, but I'm not running on nuclear power ya know.  It also takes a lot longer to do stuff the first time through.  Do you know how many hours I put into figuring a way to "frame" my site content in such a way that the site was still liquid and the css didn't conflict (PHP Includes ftw btw).  I insisted on doing it so I'd only have to edit one file for global changes.  I also spent 5 hours troubleshooting my mail server only to find out that the first solution I'd tried was the correct one, only the answer I'd found conveniently forgot a forward slash at the end of the edit.

Oh, and I need to find someone with photoshop skills, my logo looks like frak droppings. :'(
Ramblomatic OFF.

Arantor

Freedbot; Not at all!!

On the contrary, though it came off badly, I COMPLETELY agree with you. Unfortunately my PM inbox doesn't, and the number of requests I've had for making things with more features and doing it now is unbelievable. I originally suggested making a specific mod paid-for, and received 200 PMs, including many variations on 'want it free' and 'want it now'.

Freedbot

WANT IT NOW
WANT IT FREE
I DON'T WANT
NO DAMN FEE

DON'T CARE WHY
DON'T CARE HOW
BUT YOU'RE A FAG
SO MAKE NOW

ALLRIIIIIIIGHT!

The Squeaky Wheel Troll Bossa Nova
By: Freedbot O:)

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Freedbot on November 28, 2009, 06:51:01 PM
Oh, and I need to find someone with photoshop skills, my logo looks like frak droppings. :'(
Ramblomatic OFF.

Become a member of Graphics Mayhem, make a request for what you want in a topic, and I'm sure they'll be able to help.  Link => http://graphicsmayhem.com

Eclipse16V

Nice Mod

German Lang comes soon.
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Advertisement: