News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aw06

OK, gotcha, a feature you may want to look into for the pro version, or even this one..

Rating a post will contribute a point to karma 8) that would be sweet
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

TugaBin

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on March 31, 2010, 04:21:37 PM
Quote from: aw06 on March 31, 2010, 03:25:48 PM
Just realised that evey post in a topic can be rated  ::) can that be disabled ?

You can only enable/disable the first post from being rated with this mod.  The Pro version of this mod will have that feature plus many many more!  Please Read the info. for the mod, I describe most of the features that Post Ratings Pro will include.

We'll have to wait for Pro and purchase it just to have that feature? You're not planning on adding just that feature in the normal mod?

For what I saw we're a some of them waiting for this feature, but will it be enough to make a buy?

In our forum, members mostly use to post a topic for things they find useful on the web and then people reply according to that, so the main 'event' in the topic is just the first post, after that it's just chatting about it, there's nothing to rate after 1st post...

And why not letting the poster rate it too, he could have an opinion about it too...

Anyway, thanks man for what's already done, even if I wanted, I would never done something such as this mod, it's smooth and nice, and it's well place in every theme I tried, cheers.

C.ya

Eclipse16V

There is a error in the settings or is it so ok?
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

ukhalik2

is there any way to enable the rating in the FIRST post only?

means people would only rate topics not all posts in the topics :)

please help me!

I am using smf 2.0 rc3

aw06

Quote from: ukhalik2 on April 01, 2010, 08:17:43 AM

please help me!

I am using smf 2.0 rc3

He say this is coming in the pro version ...
But i think it should be standard option 8)
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

SoLoGHoST

This is a Post Ratings Mod, hence the name of the mod, not a topic ratings mod.  I will allow for this possibility in Post Ratings Pro however.

Currently, the only way to make the first post to be rated in a topic is to allow people to disable ratings in their own posts via permissions.  Than these people will have to disable it each time they create a post in that topic.  You can play with the permissions and the Post Ratings options in the Admin Panel, but seriously, this MOD was geared more towards posts, not topics.  Doing just topics would've been a hell of a lot easier.

Cheers :)

aw06

Just realize their is now way to see how much ratings as user has accumulated .... or is their a way to see it ?

SoLoGHoST

Again, this will be in the Pro Version.

TugaBin

Quote from: aw06 on April 01, 2010, 08:20:28 AM
Quote from: ukhalik2 on April 01, 2010, 08:17:43 AM

He say this is coming in the pro version ...
But i think it should be standard option 8)
Quote from: SoLoGHoST on April 01, 2010, 11:24:43 AM
...Doing just topics would've been a hell of a lot easier.

Don't want to be ungrateful, coz what you did is already a nice mod, but I found at least one member asking for it in each page of the topic.

And since you say it's even easier than topic rate, I can't stop thinking why wouldn't you make such a mod.
If I had a 1/3 of your knowledge I would do it, but if I do it now, the result would be no one could use their forum anymore... :P

Because I don't see the point of rating someone who said : 'yeah, that's nice!' following by one saiyng 'I prefered the other' and follows another 'so go get it' ... 
There's nothing to rate at ALL besides the first post which actually is only reason for the topic to have been made.

Thanks anyway, maybe someday....

aw06

karma should be used to rate individual post ..

having this + karma is redundant in a sense .. but hey, i love the mod, just have to settle with it.. :P

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: TugaBin on April 01, 2010, 03:11:11 PM

And since you say it's even easier than topic rate, I can't stop thinking why wouldn't you make such a mod.
If I had a 1/3 of your knowledge I would do it, but if I do it now, the result would be no one could use their forum anymore... :P

Because I don't see the point of rating someone who said : 'yeah, that's nice!' following by one saiyng 'I prefered the other' and follows another 'so go get it' ... 
There's nothing to rate at ALL besides the first post which actually is only reason for the topic to have been made.

Thanks anyway, maybe someday....

There is already a Rate That Topic mod.  What's wrong with that??

Also, there are many reasons why Rating Posts would be helpful.

Informative reasons, where you have over 100 posts in any given topic, where reading all answers to that question would be hopeless.  You can disable the first post from being rated.  Helps speed up time, cause now you can see how many ratings that answer got, and if it has a high rating, it would be worth reading that post, instead of reading all posts within that topic, hoping to get the answer for the question somewhere on some page of that topic.

Contest Reasons, or just plain Art/Graphics, Software Development, Critique anything really... and many many more reasons.  You're only limited by your imagination really!

For Example:  You can have a Board Called: "Graphics & Art" and this board can have topics in it entitled:  "Emoticons", "Web Design & Layouts", "Wallpapers", "Paintings", "Sketches", etc. etc.  You can post up the rules for each post submission in the first topic (when you create it), for that topic's submissions, now when other people reply to that topic and post up their art/graphics to it, others can rate it.  May be a good idea to disable First Post Ratings in the Admin for this option.  In any case, you can always disable it after creating the topic.

Sorry, but You need to think outside of the box.  The example I posted up above, keeps your boards better organized, and structured into topics (instead of having a Board/Child Board for each section of Graphics & Art).  There are many many many other ways to think of this also and apply it into your forum(s).  It really just depends on what type of audience your forum(s) will attract before you can figure out how useful it could be to you.

TugaBin

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on April 01, 2010, 03:41:38 PM
There is already a Rate That Topic mod.  What's wrong with that??
Not compatible with RC3, besides, yours is nicer, it's just simply graphicaly perfect :)

Informative reasons, where you have over 100 posts in any given topic, where reading all answers to that question would be hopeless.  You can disable the first post from being rated.  Helps speed up time, cause now you can see how many ratings that answer got, and if it has a high rating, it would be worth reading that post, instead of reading all posts within that topic, hoping to get the answer for the question somewhere on some page of that topic.

I undestand that completely, I'm aware of that, like in a forum for computer help, if some one asks for help for something, it's the right mod to identify which response is more likely to solve topic creator's problem.
I was just saying that since you said it would be even easier to do a topic mod than this one, you'll find useful to distribute it, but no harm done, I'll just wait fo the Rate That Topic mod to be compatible with RC3. ;)

Cheers too... :D

aw06

I may install on rc3, gonna try emulate it... cause rate all post is not quite what i need :-X ...

giveaway365.com

the uninstall of this mod leaves lot of traces of this mod.

SoLoGHoST

It's using the <database> tag, you should place a checkmark in Remove all data associated with this modification when uninstalling the mod or else it will leave all database columns/rows/tables as is and won't remove them.  Also, if you install in other themes you should uninstall in other themes also.

kenso

Hi Guys using RC3 just install into the default theme got a success and a green light in the packages area, but have no "enable post rating box" in topics or any other thing anywhere to say it was even installed. Any ideas where I went wrong? Should it be under forum / posts and topics / topic settings?
The Farmers and self-sufficiency forum
http://www.ozfarmer.com.au

giveaway365.com

same problem so I uninstalled it ... even uninstall leaves some traces of this mod ...

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: kenso on April 09, 2010, 03:18:04 AM
Hi Guys using RC3 just install into the default theme got a success and a green light in the packages area, but have no "enable post rating box" in topics or any other thing anywhere to say it was even installed. Any ideas where I went wrong? Should it be under forum / posts and topics / topic settings?

Quote from: giveaway365.com on April 09, 2010, 06:48:07 AM
same problem so I uninstalled it ... even uninstall leaves some traces of this mod ...

Ok, you have to enable it first within the Admin Panel, and than you need to set the permissions for it.  There are 9 pictures for you to look at on this mod.  I do believe that is close, if not a record.  Most mod authors don't go to such great lengths to show you every aspect of the mod.  As far as installing in other themes, There is also a pic and STEP BY STEP instructions on how to do this, directly from the page that you downloaded the mod from.  I couldn't make it any easier for you unless I did it for you myself.

DeKAR

Help me please! How can I add more starts? I need to rate posts not from 1 to 5 but from 1 to 10. What should I add to xml or php file?

SoLoGHoST

Sorry, this is not available in Post Ratings, only allows for 5 Stars.  Will be made available in Post Ratings Pro.

Solomon

Advertisement: