News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToeJam

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 02, 2010, 05:35:37 PM
Hi ToeJam,

No, this is not possible because it wasn't coded in that respect.  But honestly, as many times as this has been requested it wouldn't be very difficult to add in this ability to both Recent Posts and/or Board Categories.  My idea for this, if I ever get around to coding the Post Ratings Pro version of this myself, since live627 may have given up on coding the Pro version, is to offer the ability in the PR Admin Panel to show this in several different places, as many as the Admin selects, and to offer the ability to either show the first post rating percentage (first post) or the overall topic ratings average percentage (all posts).  In any case, I have given up on coding as I don't have the time for this anymore in my life to code for FREE.  Don't even have the time to code for $$$ either.  Because, I've got too much going on in my life right now, not to mention, I'm living with my sister and using her computer which isn't a good developing environment either.  Going to School, working, and trying to see my daughter as much as possible in between all of this.  Separated from the wife back in February and things have been hectic ever since.  So life has gotten in the way of all of this and my love for SMF and coding for SMF has decreased tremendously since than.

But honestly, this is not hard at all to do, for anyone with half a brain for coding that is.  I haven't touched any of the source or template files that deal with showing the Categories and Recent Posts, so this is just a matter of adding in the relevant code to the source and template files.

You guys are free to alter the code for Post Ratings however you see fit.  I would like to see your modified version of it, if that would be OK.  All I ask is that, if you do make a modified version of Post Ratings, that you include me as the original author and include a link to where the original mod can be downloaded here on SMF.  That's all.

Cheers

Thank you so much for your response and I'm sorry to have taken this long to get back to you.  Sorry to hear of your personal challenges.  From someone who's been there too... it does get better and if you're lucky, you might just end up with a better version of yourself as a result.  At least that was my experience.  Good luck. 

I think I'm going to start a new topic to see if there is anyone interested in helping me with this mod.  Unfortunately I'm not a coder.  I can do some light edits, and can follow the the jist of code when I read it, but that's about it.   We have a mod that moves recent posts up top under the news bar.  I like the ideas for adding the ratings to the recent posts.  We want to replace recent posts with highest rated, with the ability to retire a particular thread if it's been up too long, maybe.  We're also considering something that highlights our busier polls. 

ToeJam

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 02, 2010, 05:35:37 PM
Hi ToeJam,

No, this is not possible because it wasn't coded in that respect.  But honestly, as many times as this has been requested it wouldn't be very difficult to add in this ability to both Recent Posts and/or Board Categories.  My idea for this, if I ever get around to coding the Post Ratings Pro version of this myself, since live627 may have given up on coding the Pro version, is to offer the ability in the PR Admin Panel to show this in several different places, as many as the Admin selects, and to offer the ability to either show the first post rating percentage (first post) or the overall topic ratings average percentage (all posts).  In any case, I have given up on coding as I don't have the time for this anymore in my life to code for FREE.  Don't even have the time to code for $$$ either.  Because, I've got too much going on in my life right now, not to mention, I'm living with my sister and using her computer which isn't a good developing environment either.  Going to School, working, and trying to see my daughter as much as possible in between all of this.  Separated from the wife back in February and things have been hectic ever since.  So life has gotten in the way of all of this and my love for SMF and coding for SMF has decreased tremendously since than.

But honestly, this is not hard at all to do, for anyone with half a brain for coding that is.  I haven't touched any of the source or template files that deal with showing the Categories and Recent Posts, so this is just a matter of adding in the relevant code to the source and template files.

You guys are free to alter the code for Post Ratings however you see fit.  I would like to see your modified version of it, if that would be OK.  All I ask is that, if you do make a modified version of Post Ratings, that you include me as the original author and include a link to where the original mod can be downloaded here on SMF.  That's all.

Cheers

Sorry for the challenges on the personal front.  Been there too.  All I can say is that it gets better. 

I appreciate your response, sorry for my delayed reply to you. 

We use a mod now that put's recent posts up top below the news bar.  We are trying to find something that would show where our heavier activity is on the board, i.e. highest rated topics, most voted polls, new posts, featured content, etc...   Maybe as a ticker, or scrolling type item.  I'm going to see about posting a new topic to see if there's any interest in something like this.  Unfortunately, I'm not a coder.  I will have to hope someone else is interested in it. 

Thanks!

SoLoGHoST

@ ToeJam, I do plan to create a module for Dream Portal (if time permits), once released, that will do exactly this, but you'll need to have Dream Portal installed and the Post Ratings Mod.  Basically, it will provide several different options in the module itself to sort by...  Highest Rating, Most Rated, Most Recently Rated, etc. etc., and give the option of how many you want shown.  So this would be kinda along the lines of what you are talking about.  But it would be made into a Dream Portal Module that you can upload and install, once you have Dream Portal installed, ofcourse.

Cheers :)

rodol

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on April 21, 2010, 01:54:46 AM
If you want all posts to be able to be rated, place checkmark in First Post rating, and select All Topics (Enabled) from the list.  Make sure there is a checkmark in "Enable Post Ratings" and make sure your permissions are set up correctly for posts and topics as well as the main permissions.  It would be easier for me to do it for you rather than to tell you.

And also, this mod isn't compatible with SMF 1.1.x versions.

As do the opposite of just the first post is rated?.

Thank you.

Sorry for my English, I use the google translator.
SMF 2.0.2

Welovea1

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 25, 2010, 11:57:13 PM
What image are you talking about?  Maybe you can show me a pic of the image you are referring to?

We'd be happy to pay you for your time in making these changes as it would add real value to our forum.  Many thanks!

SoLoGHoST

Tell, you what, this is simple, you don't need to pay me for this.

What do you want it to say instead??

I can't change the screenshot image, since that was an image not created by me and I don't own the original psd file.  Besides, this isn't that important as it's only the screenshot for Post Ratings, and you seem to be talking about the inner workings for this module, even though you are using the screenshot as an example.

Welovea1

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 27, 2010, 08:17:22 PM
Tell, you what, this is simple, you don't need to pay me for this.

What do you want it to say instead??

I can't change the screenshot image, since that was an image not created by me and I don't own the original psd file.  Besides, this isn't that important as it's only the screenshot for Post Ratings, and you seem to be talking about the inner workings for this module, even though you are using the screenshot as an example.

I think I understand what you're saying.  What about replacing these 3 instances of "post" with "book" because that's what the users will see?  Thanks, SoLoGHoST

Shelly for welovea1

SoLoGHoST

Ok, here is a package for you to install, if you have Post Ratings already installed, uninstall it first (but DO NOT Remove the database edits when uninstalling), delete it, and than upload and install the package that is attached within this post.

Note, this doesn't include the edits that are required for one to be able to rate their own posts as you requested.  This will be an actual update to Post Ratings when it is complete and will inform you within this topic, with another package specifically for you and your Book Ratings (NOT Post Ratings).  So you may want to wait until I'm completely finished with your request for users to be able to rate their own posts, or whatever, it's up to you.

Welovea1

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 27, 2010, 09:11:32 PM
Ok, here is a package for you to install, if you have Post Ratings already installed, uninstall it first (but DO NOT Remove the database edits when uninstalling), delete it, and than upload and install the package that is attached within this post.

Note, this doesn't include the edits that are required for one to be able to rate their own posts as you requested.  This will be an actual update to Post Ratings when it is complete and will inform you within this topic, with another package specifically for you and your Book Ratings (NOT Post Ratings).  So you may want to wait until I'm completely finished with your request for users to be able to rate their own posts, or whatever, it's up to you.

You're terrific!!!!  I'll install it tomorrow in our test forum and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Shelly

Welovea1

We love it!!! This will be a great enhancement to our forum.  If we go ahead and start using it now, will the data be maintained when we switch over to the change allowing users to rate their own books? We're so very appreciative!

Shelly for welovea1

rodol

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 27, 2010, 09:11:32 PM

This is a update?
SMF 2.0.2

SoLoGHoST

@ rodol ->  No this isn't an update, this just changed words like "post" to "book" instead.  Even Post Ratings, was changed to "Book Ratings".

@ Welovea1 -> When I finish with the update which will allow one to rate their own posts (or in your case, books), I'll need to create a separate package for you, that I'll add into this topic, so as to maintain the word "Book" and "book" instead of "Post" and "post".  So, you won't be downloading the update, instead, I'll have a separate download just for you within this topic, will attach it for you to download and let you know that this is an update.  I'll also explain details on how you should install it, just in case you need this too.

Quote from: Welovea1 on July 29, 2010, 08:16:59 PM
If we go ahead and start using it now, will the data be maintained when we switch over to the change allowing users to rate their own books?

In short, YES, the data will be maintained.  I'll explain a step by step instructional guide for how to update, please follow this STEP BY STEP when the update becomes available for you.  I'll attach it within this topic for ONLY YOU!  All others can update via the Mod Site.

rodol

@ ==> SoLoGHoST Thanks for answering. But I have another question, Sorry is this is something basic but I really have not found an answer in support of Spanish (or rather in the Spanish forum as there is no real support for this mod in Spanish), my question is how I can do so only The first post is qualified and not the answers?. Commented that they can do, but did not explain how, would appreciate someone to help me.
Thank you in advance.
SMF 2.0.2

SoLoGHoST

Hello again rodol, you can try this:

Place Post Ratings as Disabled (All Posts) in the Post Ratings Admin Panel.  Make sure Post Ratings is Enabled.  Make sure First Post Rating is enabled.  Save this.  Than make sure you have permissions set for usergroups that you want to be able to enable Post Ratings for.  Now, you or someone else that has permission to, can open up any topic within your boards, in your forum, and Enable the first post within a topic to be rated.  Done!  This will have to be done manually to do this for Topics where you want them to be rated that are already topics on your forum.

Also, now when people create topics, they will have to place a checkmark in Enable Post Ratings in Additional Options, when creating that topic, so that the 1st post can be rated.  Ofcourse, they will be able to do this for other posts as well, but it will be Disabled by default.  So this will only have the 1st post allowed to be rated, as long as other people don't select Enable Post Ratings in Additional Options for replies to that topic.

So this is what you want, and is the only way it can be done.

rodol

Thank you so much for your help. I'll see if playing with the permissions I can achieve something more specific to what I want, but it is a good solution.

Thanks again and greetings!.
SMF 2.0.2

Welovea1

@ Welovea1 -> When I finish with the update which will allow one to rate their own posts (or in your case, books), I'll need to create a separate package for you, that I'll add into this topic, so as to maintain the word "Book" and "book" instead of "Post" and "post".  So, you won't be downloading the update, instead, I'll have a separate download just for you within this topic, will attach it for you to download and let you know that this is an update.  I'll also explain details on how you should install it, just in case you need this too.

Quote from: Welovea1 on July 29, 2010, 08:16:59 PM
If we go ahead and start using it now, will the data be maintained when we switch over to the change allowing users to rate their own books?

In short, YES, the data will be maintained.  I'll explain a step by step instructional guide for how to update, please follow this STEP BY STEP when the update becomes available for you.  I'll attach it within this topic for ONLY YOU!  All others can update via the Mod Site.

[/quote]

All that I have to say is that you are awesome!!!!!

Welovea1

Hi  SoLoGHoST,

We have created a brand new test forum and attempted to install the special "book" ratings mod but it doesn't write to any of the files even though they are all writable.  We had no problem installing it to other test forums.  Our members are really excited about the mod but my question at this point is should we try to resolve why the mod won't write to any of the files or wait until you've completed our "special book ratings mod.  Thanks!!!!

welovea2

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Welovea1 on August 14, 2010, 11:55:14 AM
Hi  SoLoGHoST,

We have created a brand new test forum and attempted to install the special "book" ratings mod but it doesn't write to any of the files even though they are all writable.  We had no problem installing it to other test forums.  Our members are really excited about the mod but my question at this point is should we try to resolve why the mod won't write to any of the files or wait until you've completed our "special book ratings mod.  Thanks!!!!

welovea2

Post/Book Ratings does not write to any files.  It only creates, edits, and/or deletes entries in the database.  So not sure what you are saying here.  If this mod isn't working for you, than their could be something wrong with your database.  You must have SMF installed on your forum before this MOD will work, and it must be SMF 2.0+.  This Mod does not support SMF 1.x versions.

Also, I have decided not to do this for free, sorry, but I don't really have much time for Free Services anymore unless they require simple language edits from Post Ratings to Book Ratings.  If you want I can create the feature you speak of for a price.  Hit me up via PM if you are still interested and I'll let you know.  Sorry, but I just can't find time to do this and not get anything in return for it.  My time is a lot more valuable to me these days.

Welovea1

rocknroller

greetings, tnx for cool mod.

is there way to tell me what need change in this code. I want other stars color for "my vote(rated image)" Not for main Feedback, just for users vote.
and if passable i want put direct link to the image. somewhere in you code. here is link
http://www.logooff.net/smf2/Themes/default/images/post_ratings/starFullp.png

do you know what i mean?

echo '<input type="image" name="rating" id="' . $combo[$i-1] . '' . $i . '" src="'. $rating_nonrated_img . '" value="' . $i . '" border="0" onMouseOver="submitVote(\''.$message['id'].'\', \''. $i .'\'); doMover(\''. $rating_rated_img . '\', \''. $rating_nonrated_img . '\', \''. $da_rating .'\', \'' . $combo[$i-1] . '\',\'' . $i . '\'); textOutput(\''. $message['id'] . '\', \''. $i .'\');" onMouseout="doMout(\''. $rating_rated_img . '\', \''. $rating_nonrated_img . '\', \'' . $da_rating . '\', \'' . $message['id'] . '\'); textOutput(\''. $message['id'] . '\', \''. $da_rating . '\');" onClick="doSubmit(\'rate\', \''.$message['id'].'\', \''.$scripturl.'\', \''.$context['session_var'].'\', \''.$context['session_id'].'\');" style="border: none; background: transparent;" />';

Advertisement: