News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post Ratings

Started by SoLoGHoST, October 27, 2009, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 07, 2012, 06:01:36 PM
What would it entail to move the rating from a post header and move that bad boy to a post footer below the signature (or even just above)?

Just a few edits in Display.template.php is all.

Robert.

FrizzleFried

I am seriously considering purchasing the PRO version of this mod... but I have some reservations as the only input I see here about the PRO version is from one person who's having issues.

Has anyone gotten the PRO version to work with SMF 2.0.2?   If so,  did you upgrade from the free version?  If so,  did the ratings from the free version carry over to the paid version?

SMF 2.0.2 here with default (but modified) theme...

Thanks!

FrizzleFried

When members EDIT their posts... this mod is automatically checkmarking "DISABLE RATINGS" and my members aren't noticing ... so when they save the ratings are turned off.  If the OP modifies their post... 9/10 they don't notice that ratings are checked to be disabled and the ratings are turned off for the whole post.

Is there any way to disable or even completely remove the option to disable ratings for a post by members?

Thanks!

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: FrizzleFried on June 13, 2012, 01:51:46 PM
Is there any way to disable or even completely remove the option to disable ratings for a post by members?

Thanks!

Under Post Permissions...  There is a Disable Ratings - Own Post and Any Post option, uncheck Own Post and that should do it.  So, they will not have the ability to disable ratings for their posts, thus their posts will automatically be enabled for ratings as long as you have the "Automatic Ratings Setting for Topics" setting set to:  All Topics (Enabled).

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you on this, been quite busy with other things in my life.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on July 14, 2012, 10:12:59 PM
Quote from: FrizzleFried on June 13, 2012, 01:51:46 PM

Thanks!

Under Post Permissions...  There is a Disable Ratings - Own Post and Any Post option, uncheck Own Post and that should do it.  So, they will not have the ability to disable ratings for their posts, thus their posts will automatically be enabled for ratings as long as you have the "Automatic Ratings Setting for Topics" setting set to:  All Topics (Enabled).

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you on this, been quite busy with other things in my life.

No problem... I think it's a bug as I've already set the permissions to disable deleting ratings... and posts were still getting disabled...  I've not pin pointed a cause... I thought it might be when someone goes in to a rated thread and modifies,  on save I thought it disabled them but I can't say for 100% sure.   I went in and hacked out all the code I could find that had to do with disabling the ratings ... and it still does it occasionally... maybe 10% of the time.

:)

I'll live...

SoLoGHoST

Ok, will look into this in more depth when I update this mod for SMF 2.0.2.

FrizzleFried

Perhaps someone can help me with a "whitespace" issue.

When viewing posts that are not ratable... the amount of white space on small posts is perfectly fine with the signature moving up above and next to the information at the left side... (see image #2)

However... when viewing posts that ARE ratable... the amount of white space on small posts is extended to the length of the information at the left side... (see image #1)

It's as if the "ratings" drop down is attached to the left side somehow and drops down depending on how long that "column" is... while posts without the rating icon are free of that attachment and can move up next to the info...

Anyone have any idea how I can stop the posts that are ratable from being "attached" to the left column so it mimics small posts that are not ratable as far as whitespace is concerned?

Yes,  this is this mod... I just removed the text and added an image instead...(I also tried to remove the + / - graphic but failed miserably and gave up because it's not that big of a deal ... but if someone could help me remove that as well I'd be greatly appreciative as well!)

Thanks!

live627

sounds to me as if the rating div is using a clearfix;... just a wild guess though, completely forgot what the code if this mod is like.

live627

I think I found it...

echo '<div style="clear: both;">

Change that to

echo '<div class="clear_right">

and see what happen. It might not even need the clear.

FrizzleFried

That did it Live...

Thank you sir!

live627

You're welcome! Now we just need Solomon to incorporate the change.

SoLoGHoST

Ok, will be updating my mods for SMF 2.0.2 next week.  Starting on Sunday... so will take a look at this change also.

Tiensg

does this have any conflict with the advance reputation system mod?

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Tiensg on August 17, 2012, 12:18:47 PM
does this have any conflict with the advance reputation system mod?

Nope... i'm running both fine.  The current version of the mod WILL give a couple of errors on install.  FWIW... those edits don't seem to be necessary for 2.0.2.

live627

Did you emulate 2.0 RC4? IIRC, that gave the least amount of errors.

FrizzleFried

Man... I sure would love to figure out why ratings are being disabled in threads somehow... I have set it so no one has permission to disable or enable the ratings... and it kept happening... so I removed any code I could find that relates to disabling the ratings by users... and it still is happening.

I can't find any "pattern" that it follows...

I want ALL posts to have ratings enabled ... period... and they all do start with ratings enabled.  At some point during their lifetime they just become... disabled... and it's bumming me out.

I'd venture to guess this happens to a good 20%+ of the posts... I thought it was less for a while but looking around it's happening quite often.

Hell,  one long thread we have going I've had to re-enable the damn ratings at least 3 times now... maybe 4... and it's MY thread...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Again,  I just want the ratings to be enabled at all times... no option to disable... even if that means I,  as admin,  lose the option to enable/disable.   

Thanks!!

SoLoGHoST

I don't understand what you have edited in the Post Ratings Mod.  But this options is available automatically bro....  In Post Ratings Settings, there is an option to ENABLE ALL TOPICS, just click it and all topics in ALL Boards will be enabled!  In Permissions, you set it according to who you want to be able to disable/enable ratings in the Posts section and Topics section.  There is an OWN and ANY, so just uncheck both of these for people you don't want to have permission to disable ratings.  I don't know what else to say.  This is already available!  If you edited the mod yourself, than most likely you have messed this up.

FYI:  I will be updating this mod sometime this week so that it installs perfectly with SMF 2.0.2.

Note:  EVERY EDIT this mod does is IMPORTANT.  If you installed this mod, and operations have failed, and you just installed it anyways, without those operations, than this most likely is your problems also!  Although the operation has failed, the EDIT to that file is still CRITICAL!  It just can't find the actual code that it is searching for, because SMF 2.0.2, has changed it structure a bit.  BUT THAT OPERATION is still CRITICAL!  So, until I update the mod, you can figure out what operations have failed, and than do a search for part of what it was searching for to figure out where that replace code needs to go and edit the replace/before/after operation accordingly in that file manually.  Or you can just wait for my Mod Update on this.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on August 20, 2012, 05:09:05 PM
I don't understand what you have edited in the Post Ratings Mod.  But this options is available automatically bro....  In Post Ratings Settings, there is an option to ENABLE ALL TOPICS, just click it and all topics in ALL Boards will be enabled!  In Permissions, you set it according to who you want to be able to disable/enable ratings in the Posts section and Topics section.  There is an OWN and ANY, so just uncheck both of these for people you don't want to have permission to disable ratings.  I don't know what else to say.  This is already available!  If you edited the mod yourself, than most likely you have messed this up.

FYI:  I will be updating this mod sometime this week so that it installs perfectly with SMF 2.0.2.

Note:  EVERY EDIT this mod does is IMPORTANT.  If you installed this mod, and operations have failed, and you just installed it anyways, without those operations, than this most likely is your problems also!  Although the operation has failed, the EDIT to that file is still CRITICAL!  It just can't find the actual code that it is searching for, because SMF 2.0.2, has changed it structure a bit.  BUT THAT OPERATION is still CRITICAL!  So, until I update the mod, you can figure out what operations have failed, and than do a search for part of what it was searching for to figure out where that replace code needs to go and edit the replace/before/after operation accordingly in that file manually.  Or you can just wait for my Mod Update on this.

Yes... the ENABLE RATINGS IN ALL POSTS is clicked... and like I said,  every post STARTS with the ratings enabled... but sometimes,  when responses are added,  the ratings get disabled for no reason.  That is the problem.  Like I said... I have a thread (with a few hundred replies) that I've had to re-enabled the ratings on over and over because they are disabled for no apparent reason.

Let me post the portion of the install that fails...

Here is the first edit that fails:

Searches for:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/index', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?rc3" />

Which adds this after:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['default_theme_url'], '/css/postratings.css?rc3" />

The 2nd edit is actually for the CORE theme but shows up in the DEFAULT area on the package manager and is the same edit as above.

Now,  I am not sure what CSS would have to do with the ratings being disabled but I admit I am pretty new at this stuff.

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW - This behavior happened before I started removing things (hence the actual REASON why I started editing things... >grin<).

I look forward to your update for sure.  Any chance you'll add  a few things to the mod like ratings on the index, etc?

SoLoGHoST

No, I will not be adding any additional features to Post Ratings at this time.  I will ONLY update it to work on a fresh install of SMF 2.0.2.  I will, however, create a module that will show complete STATISTICS of all ratings in all posts on your forum.  You will be able to download this module and use it in DREAM PORTAL 1.1.

Advertisement: