Users cann't login after convertion

Started by tinusz, October 31, 2009, 03:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinusz

Hi There,

I converted my PHPBB3 forum tot SMF 1.1.10 almost succesfully.
Al topics, users etc. are now in my SMF, but none of the users can login into the board with their original password.

In the database i see that the password hashes are available, but they don't "work" in SMF.

Is this normal? Does every user have to reset their password threw forgotten password functionality?

Another issue is that there are more users in SMF than there were in PHPBB3, about 50-100 more. I really dont know what went wrong there, i tried more than ones to convert, but still have these problems.

EDIT:

Im sorry, i found the phpbb3 login fix and it works now!!
Only why do i have more users now than PHPBB3 board has?

Norv

Good to hear you got your problem solved!

What do you mean, more users now, how many, are you sure they aren't in phpBB3? :)
Normally the converter should remove all users from the new SMF where you converted to, then import exactly the users in phpBB3.
You might want to run in SMF : Admin > Forum maintenance > Recalculate statistics (or similarly worded), to have an accurate number of users reported.
Also, note that in SMF, in Admin > Members, you will see not only "normal" user accounts, but also the not yet activated accounts, if any, and the banned accounts.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

tinusz

First I had 3000 users in SMF after convertion (on clean install SMF) from my PHPBB forum. I only have 450 users on the old forum, i discovered that there were a lot inactive (spam) users.

I deleted all those inactive users in phpbb, than i really had 450 users in PHPBB (also on phpmyadmin database).
Than i did a clean install of SMF and again converted PHPBB, again I had more users, now I had 510 users in SMF, in PHPBB 450.
I did run the recalculation in ADMIN for totals, but in database there are really 510 users in table smf_members...
i just don't get it...

Well i just discovered that PHPBB shows 450 users as total, but in the phpmyadmin there are 510 users. I did there also recalculate forumtotals etc. but it shows 456 users. There are no inactive users, i just don't get it...

Norv

In smf_members, it's the column "is_activated" who controls whether the user is activated, as in approved by an administrator if your forum ever required admin approval, or perhaps users who didn't activate their email (though you might have already excluded these).
But if you try to see in phpMyAdmin if that column still has the value "0" for some users then perhaps we're closer to an answer.
Please try running in phpMyAdmin:

SELECT * FROM smf_members WHERE is_activated != 1;

Also, note that Admin > Members is the "admin memberlist" with all banned/non-activated users, while if you check the link to "Members" in the standard main menu of the SMF forum, you'll get the memberlist as users see it: one without the banned accounts, and without those who weren't approved yet.
It's normal to have 2 counts, then, one of the "full" memberlist, available in SMF only to admins, on one side, and one of the memberlist as the other users see it, on the other side.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: