News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Short Links

Started by Joshua Dickerson, November 03, 2009, 05:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistarbwoy

Quote from: Lord High Warlock on November 08, 2009, 04:36:52 AM
Has anyone tested this with SMG?

i have it installed with smg and it hasnt caused any problems as of yet... to be honest with you as i have about 50 mods on my forum if it was gonna mess up something on a forum, mine would be the one it killed, ya know what i mean.

i found one glitch...

i did find that after installing it my forum gets a bit confused between articles (from article mod) and blogs (from zcommunity mod). As they are both called articles what it basically does is refuse to show me articles if their isnt a blog in the database with the same id. so article 5 wasnt showing up a message telling me that article didnt exist displayed, which is when i noticed that it said powered by zcommunity underneath the error message. but it would let me edit the article (the edit sub actions are quite different from eachother) i only had 4 articles in blogs at the time. as soon as i created a 5th one - problem solved. its not a major problem to me really seeing as how i will always have more blogs then articles, but i made 50 private blog articles just to be on the safe side to stop the amount of articles exceeding blog articles.

has anybody found how to fix the notification problem where it only send the address starting at index.php yet?

c23_Mike

Hi there !

That mod sounds great ... at the SMF mod site is written that last edit was yesterday 06:59:48 but I think this was only to check the RC2 compatibility.
If the notification problem will be solved I will also use it.
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Joshua Dickerson

I made the changes but I haven't had a chance to test them. If someone would be willing to do that, it would help out a lot.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

netoya

I can't install it on 1.1.10
there is no code to edit in Subs-Post.php
also downloaded a fresh distibutive 1.1.10 there is also no such code

Joshua Dickerson

Woops. Sorry, I just realized the new one won't work for 1.1. I'll have to take a look at that. For now, I am going to remove the support for 1.1. I might do it today, I might fix it another day. Been busy lately (and sick).

c23_Mike

Hi there !

Tested it with a new result.

At www.c23.at I have SMF RC2 and the SimplePortal 2.3.1. There are three columns at the portal page, when I switch on your mod I only have two, the right one is not be displayed.
Never seen something like that bevor!
So long, Mike

c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Joshua Dickerson

That's just weird. Unless SP is relying on the $scripturl to make a column. I doubt it though. I don't have SP installed - I can't stand portal systems. Maybe ask them why adjusting something in Subs-Post.php or changing the $scripturl would make that happen? It might be because they are relying on Subs-Post.php and my customization is causing it to change something outside of that function.

c23_Mike

Hi there !

I have opened a thread there!
When i know more I will post!
So long, Mike

c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Joshua Dickerson

c23_Mike

Hi there!

I have the solution, neither your mod nor the SP mod is the reason, it has been affected with my frame design. Now I do not use frames any longer and my startpage is the script of smf directly ... and it works perfect!
So long, Mike

c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Afro

how does this affect pretty url cos i m sure it does somehow
?

Joshua Dickerson

Not sure, I can ask Daniii.

Dannii

This mod will be pointless with Pretty URLs, as it will add the full path back again.

Also, this mod won't save any bandwidth if you have gzip compression, but you could still install it if you like short links!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Nao 尚

Quote from: Dannii on November 11, 2009, 11:10:20 PM
Also, this mod won't save any bandwidth if you have gzip compression,
It saves bandwidth, but really little. Not enough to justify installing a mod.
I tested on page 1 on this topic.
Without mod: 114Kb. Compressed to around 12Kb.
With mod: 98Kb. Compressed to around 12Kb, minus 200 bytes.
Whatever the compression type (rar, zip, ...), I always have a difference of only ~200 bytes.

Only useful on servers without gzip available, then. But on these servers, any page would take several seconds to load anyway, with or without this mod.

Still, nice effort. :)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

oistarbwoy

hi there i am using this mod with no problems but recently decided to use the referal mod but immediately realised that the referal link would have the first part missing like the notifications problem with the first release.

now i understand that its not really down to you to make your mod compatible with every other mod available i was wondering if you could perphaps possibly give me a clue as to what edits i would have to make to make the url show in its entirity.

i would be endlessly gratefull if anybody could help.

thank you in advance for your time :)

saosangmo

This mod may make the avatar of users disappear (attached avatar) when you use PrettyURL mod too!

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: oistarbwoy on November 18, 2009, 06:42:09 PM
hi there i am using this mod with no problems but recently decided to use the referal mod but immediately realised that the referal link would have the first part missing like the notifications problem with the first release.

now i understand that its not really down to you to make your mod compatible with every other mod available i was wondering if you could perphaps possibly give me a clue as to what edits i would have to make to make the url show in its entirity.

i would be endlessly gratefull if anybody could help.

thank you in advance for your time :)
Find where $scripturl is used. Add before it  $boardurl . '/' . and earlier in the function, it should have global $scripturl. Just add $boardurl to that list.

oistarbwoy

worked a treat... thanks!

zzzronzzz

somehow it made my forum load faster browsing thru some topics but when i click Home (using SimplePortal) it just goes where the last topic i viewed . It wont go to Home ... then i try to click some other topics, it wont open that topic instead it will repeat to load some topics that i previously viewed.. I also noticed the url .. everytime i click topics or the menu .. the url adds up index.php at the end over and over again making it longer .

Joshua Dickerson

This would probably break SP and vice versa.

Advertisement: