News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Converting from Snitz Forums

Started by ukcwm, April 30, 2005, 05:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRad

belio

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a snitz-forum using the utf-8 charset, and containing multiple languages like English, French, German, Chineese, Arabic...

I've setup an smf-forum, with the uft-8 option active, and all goes fine (I can post in any language).

As intermediate step I've converted the mssql-db to mysql(5); from phpmyadmin all looks OK, including all special characters.

Then, when running the convertor, only characters like é, à, ç, ü arrive correctly, but more special ones like 圣 숭 get replaced by '??'s

Any idea's on how to fix this?

Thanks

belio

After some searching, editing convert.php and adding

if (!empty($db_character_set))
  mysql_query("SET NAMES $db_character_set");

just after

// Persist?
if (empty($db_persist))
mysql_connect($db_server, $db_user, $db_passwd);
else
mysql_pconnect($db_server, $db_user, $db_passwd);

did the trick for me  ;D and maybe for others too, with a problem alike  :)

rav4oz

im going to have to open up this topic again for discussion.

I have checked with my hosting provider and they do not support the mhash module. This leaves me in the sh!t as I now have a forum with 700 members that cannot login. Is there any way around this? can the passwords be converted from SHA256 to the SMF format in any way?

rav4oz

Anyone there willing to help out? Would really like to make the move to SMF soon. Cheers

laser

Why don't you just remind them that they have to use the "forgot password" feature ? Is that a good solution ?

rav4oz

Hi Laser, at this stage that looks like the "only" solution for me. Unless of course there is some way to translate the passwords.......

NoRad

A forum I'm a member of recently converted from SMF to another forum (shame on them!) ... but they sent out a mass email to all users with a link to generate a new password and have it Emailed to you. This might be a nice middle-ground solution.

MHASH would have been a better fix, but oh well. You could try a new host?  ;)

rav4oz

can you receommend a good host that will let me do this? I am presently with godaddy and while there uptime is great, their lack of flexibility gets quite annoying at times!

NoRad

Might there be a correlation with lack of flexibility and uptime? ;)

laser

OK, I'm stuck ...

I'm attempting my first conversion on a fairly important Snitz > SMF conversion

I've downloaded the convert.php and the snitz_to_smf.sql and it asks three simple questions :

Path to SMF:      (autofilled and correct)
MySQL database used by Snitz:    I know this, let's say it's ACME
SMF database password: simple :)

So I enter the values, press the CONVERT button and ...

The error MySQL gave was: Table 'ACME.FORUM_MEMBERS' doesn't exist

NO!!!!, this is wrong !!! ... the table IS there, I've just spent the last 30 minutes converting it from Access to MySQL and making sure it works.

If I use myphpAdmin then it mentions the proper database name all the time. (ie it's not ACME but it's the right name.

AARRGGHH !!!!..

I realised before posting that all my table names are lowercase, so it's cruising along as we speak.

laser

AMAZING

I went from hours of errors (caused by the data, people subscribed multiple times, etc...) to a fully converted forum in a few hours .....  Goodbye Snitz and H-E-L-L-O SMF !!!

I'll post full details of the site when it is released, but still under development at the moment.

I still have a lot of testing to do, but it looks great.  I did need to use the sql file posted (somewhere, forget where) to get around the GROUP BY error at the substep 7 or 8 mark.

All in all, VERY pleased !!!

NoRad

Congrats. Snitz is the junk and ASP can burn. =P

Cixi

Can anyone of you help me to convert Snitz to SMF?
I have created a dump.sql file using bullzip application converter.
Now what step I have to do to obtain the conversion?

I always get the following error:
"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Snitz Forums. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'cixi_smf1'@'localhost' for table 'FORUM_MEMBERS'"

Thank You

Advertisement: