News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

RC2 - how install?

Started by Forum Guy, November 09, 2009, 04:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Guy

downloaded the small update for RC1.2 but I am missing the information how to start installation

thx for help

necrocorpse

Hi folks!  I uploaded all the files (after unzipping them) to the temporary "forum2" folder I created on my server.  When I try to run the SMF installer, I get this message:

"550 Can't change directory to public_html/forum2: No such file or directory "

I know, for a fact, that all permissions are set at 755 - at least the installation ones.  There are hundreds of files set at 644 and it seems I'd have to go in and change each one individually!

I turned off my firewall.  Didn't help.  I typed in the full path to the install file:

/home/shb7_076/mydomain.com/public_html/forum2/install.php    - to no avail.

The default path is "public_html/forum2" and that is accurate.

I checked the permission status of each file through Filezilla, like somebody had suggested.  It all looks good.  Filezilla does not see the installation file but it does show up in my remote file management program from my hosting company.

Please tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Arantor

If you're using the update, you need to put the Large Upgrade package over the top of all the files in your original forum. If you want to run them side by side, you need the full install package.

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 04:42:37 PM
If you're using the update, you need to put the Large Upgrade package over the top of all the files in your original forum. If you want to run them side by side, you need the full install package.

This is only a trial installation - for which I created "forum2".  That's why I uploaded the full package.

Arantor

How are you trying to run the installer?

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 05:26:44 PM
How are you trying to run the installer?

Typed in "http://www.mydomain.com/forum2/install.php?step=1 [nofollow]"

SMF Installer came up and prompted me to log in at the bottom of the page:

Arantor

That's the installer. You go through and fill in the details. The boxes in green are details for SMF to talk to the database on your hosting account; you may want to clarify with your host what they should be.

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 06:34:08 PM
That's the installer. You go through and fill in the details. The boxes in green are details for SMF to talk to the database on your hosting account; you may want to clarify with your host what they should be.

I've already verified my username and password.  When I type either of those in incorrectly, I get a different error message - indicating that my login failed.  So I'm sure that's not the problem.  After all, if I wasn't logging in correctly, how would the program know that "...there is no such file or directory"?

Arantor

Because presumably it can't access them to modify them in that case... what permissions are they set to?

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 07:41:16 PM
Because presumably it can't access them to modify them in that case... what permissions are they set to?

Most of them are at 755 and a few at 777.  There are a whole bunch of them set at 644 too - but the installation files are all 777.  If every single file must be 755 or 777, then I'll have to go in and change all 100 of them one at a time I guess.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change them all at once.

Arantor

Set everything to 755, including using the 'recursive' option. What program are you using to set the permissions? You might try something like FileZilla if you're not already.

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 07:50:51 PM
Set everything to 755, including using the 'recursive' option. What program are you using to set the permissions? You might try something like FileZilla if you're not already.

There are literally hundreds of files set at 600 or 640 and I went through about 100 of them and changed them to 755.  Then I went back to check and lo, they've all reverted back to 600!  So I'm not sure if this is an SMF issue or more related to my hosting company's software but I'll write them too.

Arantor

That sounds like a hosting issue. Check with them about it.

You don't have to do it manually, though, any decent FTP client can set all the permissions for you. When I last installed SMF, I used FileZilla to install it, and set all permissions with a few clicks - even throughout the entire set of files.

necrocorpse

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2009, 10:33:30 PM
That sounds like a hosting issue. Check with them about it.

You don't have to do it manually, though, any decent FTP client can set all the permissions for you. When I last installed SMF, I used FileZilla to install it, and set all permissions with a few clicks - even throughout the entire set of files.

I got it figured out in FileZilla, thanks!  However, I'm still getting the same error message on the SMF installer page even though all the files are definitely 755 - which I did confirm.

Forum Guy

Be careful with FTP software - some web hosts do not play nicely especially changing file permissions. the only way out is to use their file manager to change those permissions.. only then it will succeed.

necrocorpse

Thanks for the heads up forum guy - but I did succeed in changing the permissions.  Yet the problem persists.  Does anybody here have any idea what might be going on?

Forum Guy

you have a domain for your web space? - probably yes!

public_html is the root folder so it should work when typing:
http://yourdomain/forum2/install.php

not sure what exactly is the problem..

busterone

Have you created a new database, dbuser and password for this fresh installation on  /forum2, or are you attempting to use the same database info of your original forum?

necrocorpse

Quote from: busterone on November 10, 2009, 11:06:47 PM
Have you created a new database, dbuser and password for this fresh installation on  /forum2, or are you attempting to use the same database info of your original forum?

I did create a new database - and, as far as I know, it's the same username/password as for the original one.  Should I change that?

Advertisement: