Individual Board Themes and Invisible Boards

Started by alienine, December 10, 2003, 02:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alienine

Post Disclaimer: I have not viewed all of the contents of this board, so I cannot guarantee that what I say below is either current or in any way applicable.

Individual Board Themes: Simple, I'm sure its been asked for a lot, so where is it? Gives forum owners the ability to give individual boards individual themes. In my case this would be very useful as I want one of the boards to look exactly like its a part of the site, but for that I have to use a highly modified theme that I can't apply to the whole of the forum.

Invisible Boards: Directly related to the above, could be implemented as a category option where all the associated boards and the category itself are not displayed on the boards list (in the forum index) BUT are accessible by all users as defined per board/group permissions.

[Unknown]

Gobalopper

The second could probably be done within a theme...

Tomer

Invisable? That is already done, well I have that on BN, just make a catagory ONLY aviable to a certin member group and for everyone esle it would be invisable.

Joseph

Quote from: Lamper on December 10, 2003, 08:12:47 AM
Invisable? That is already done, well I have that on BN, just make a catagory ONLY aviable to a certin member group and for everyone esle it would be invisable.
It would be invisible, but also not usable - he means something you can't see but can still acess.

Quote1. Planned
2. Why?

I imagine this way you could "host" multiple boards under a single install.

If you gave each board it's own design, and if it didn't show up on the board index, then each person could lead you to believe thiers was a unique, individual board.

This would make it easier to run forums for stuff like...a sports league.  Each league could have it's own board, but then you'd have one set of members and logins.  Also, it wouldn't bring attention to the fact that they only have 1 board in a set of forums.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

[Unknown]

Hmm... I guess.  It's as simple as doing this, though:

$user_info['query_see_board'] = '(' . $user_info['query_see_board'] . ' AND ID_BOARD IN (boards, that, aren\'t, hidden))';

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

When I first saw this, I thought invisible board were a bit pointless, however think now its not such a bad idea, wouldnt mind having invisible boards that are accessable but not linked anywhere on the board to avoid the clutter and I'd just link to them from the homepage or whatever.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

alienine

... you can virtually build your site around the forum using themes and invisible boards! *pictures news pages, review pages, shout box pages, even download pages!

Ben_S

Yep, want to built my site round smf and invisible boards would be the best thing since sliced bread.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Grudge

If you had invisible boards to make them pointful wouldn't you want to remove all links back to the boardindex and the like?? Otherwise someone can go to your download section, jump to the board index and get kinda lost...
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

SSI has an option to use the theme system, and it also allows you to pick which theme ;).

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: