Being logged out all the time

Started by H Man, November 18, 2009, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H Man

Hi guys,

This week I made the change from the old SMF 1.1.10 to SMF 2.0 RC2 and may I say im really impressed with the new system and the cool plug-ins you can get for it!

The problem im having is that both myself (admin) and the users are getting logged out an awful lot, it seems that if they go away from the board or close their browsers (same for me) when we return we have to log in again even though we selected the option to keep logged in "forever". Nothing has changed on our browser settings since the last board but its happening every time. What do you think this could be? Ive had a little hunt around google and the boards here but can't find anything atm?

My board details are:
SMF 2.0 RC2
http://www.streetphire.co.uk/forum [nofollow]

Cheers
Steve

glennk

This type of thing usually is linked to cookies.

Road Rash Jr.

I did the same upgrade you did and don't have your problem. Being logged in "forever" I have come back days later and I'm still logged in.
Might be like glennk suggested as being a browser cookie issue.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

H Man

Its just real odd that neither I nor any of the members have changed their settings. I'll have a look into the cookies and see what I can do.

Cheers guys
Steve

glennk

Unless you get some better suggestions I would investigate the cookies. Maybe the new rc2 changed the actual cookie name or number and your still working on the old one ??

H Man

Ive not had much experience with cookies...

I cleared my cookies in Firefox so that they had all been deleted then I logged back into my forum, closed the window then started Firefox again to see that i'd been logged back out and had to log in again.

Is there any cookie settings that I can change? Im not sure if this is a browser problem or a SMF problem... thing is my users dont all use firefox nor do they all use mac's (which I use and shouldn't be a problem) but 80% of them are reporting it...

What now? lol
Steve

H Man

Just to let you know its not doing it on here which is SMF 2.0 RC2?? So I wouldn't say it was my computer or browser

Steve

glennk

This could be worth a try but if it doesnt fix it then you will have to ask for more assistance:

In firefox goto tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Exceptions

Find your cookie for your site There may be several) and see if its blocked. If it is, then delete it. Then in the box above (still in exceptions) where it says address of website block or allow. Type in your url and click allow.

H Man

I tried that and it does nothing. Still has the same problem as before.

This is quite annoyingly confusing that we don't know what it is, im thinking its either going to be server related or a setting in SMF that I don't know about.

Its got me lost haha

Steven

H Man

So the firefox privacy settings made no difference. Is there any mods, admin, developers who can help solve this problem or point me in the right direction?

Once again, the problem is that my forum keeps logging everyone out if they close the browser even when they have logged in and selected "forever" for the time to stay logged in option.

Database problem? Programming? ...

Steven

Kays

Hi, a couple of thngs to try. Go into the Admin CP, Server Settings > Cookies and Sessions and set the following:

Enable local storage of cookies - unchecked
Use database driven sessions - checked

If that doesn't help try changing the cookie name.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

H Man

I changed them settings and I thought it had worked as I closed my window 3 times in a row and didnt have to log back in at all but then it did it on the 4th time and the users have said nothing has changed at their end either...

I've gave it a different cookie name and made sure them options are ticked. What exactly does the " Enable local storage of cookies" do because should I not tick that and then does that not mean the users will have their session saved on their computer? Or im I guessing wrong here?

Steve

Kays

If you uncheck "Enable local storage of cookies " then SMF will handle the cookies rather than the browser. It's usually more reliable.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

H Man

Would the fact I copied across the database from the old SMF 1.1.10 to SMF 2.0 RC2 have had any effect on the forum?

I know this sounds silly but I tried upgrading the old forum and after the installation had finished it had broke my old 1.1.10 so I had another installation of the new 2.0 RC2 on the server and I copied only the table I thought were necessary. Everything has worked so far except the log in issue and one other thing which im not sure what it is without asking the users again.

Thanks
Steve

Kays

Would the fact I copied across the database from the old SMF 1.1.10 to SMF 2.0 RC2 have had any effect on the forum?

It might since the cookie name is stored in the settings table. But changing the cookie name didn't help and most of the other users don't have this problem. So I don't think the problem is there.

If SMF hamdles cookies and sessions then that info is kept in one (or more) of the log_xxx tables. Which are either tempory or get updated frequently.

Did you run it throught the converter since the tables are different.

Now when you are logged in and opening a new window, SMF does need to check a local cookie to set you up as a user. Which is where the problem seems to be. Are your members having the same problem and with which browser?

Do you have a non admin test account we can use to check?

My Mods

H Man

I ran the converter on 1.1.10 to change the table names and then copied across the data because I noticed that the first time I tried doing it and saw that they (SMF) had changed the table names/structure.

I'll make an account now for you and post it up on here

Steve

H Man

okay the details are as follows:

forum: http://streetphire.co.uk/forum/ [nofollow]
username: SMF
password: qwerty

I'll keep that running for a week or so or until something gets sorted

cheers
Steve

Road Rash Jr.

H Man, don't know what to tell you man about your problem but this has been my experience on your site. I registered, closed IE7 staying logged in "forever". I came back about 5 times and I was still looged in. Serveral hours later I came back and I'm still logged in.  :P
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

H Man

Only a few people have said that they don't get logged out, this has got my so confused. I guess we'll just have to put it down to me being at fault when I copied the data across from the old site. I can't think of anything else where is may have gone wrong during the installation?

Steve

Kays

So far I'm not having any problems either and staying logged in using Firefox.

One thing I found a bit odd is that yesterday I was showing a lot of page errors mostly JavaScript related. Today all of those errors have cleared.

If it's still happening with your members, check what browser they are using. I'm curious if it's browser specific.

My Mods

Advertisement: