News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Replace Existing YaBB Forum

Started by TheArcaneFlame, November 18, 2009, 08:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArcaneFlame

Is there a way that I can replace my existing YaBB 2.1 forum with a SMF forum....   while keeping the URL/Path the same as well as converting all the data over?

I'd like to directly replace the existing forum so that the next time my users go there they would automatically get the new SMF forum.

YaBB is installed into the /Forum directory currently.  That's where I'd like SMF installed.

Is there any way that I can accomplish this?   Is it possible to move my existing installation of YaBB to a different folder, install SMF to the /Forum folder and then convert the old forum to SMF?

Please offer any help or guidance as I'm unsure how to accomplish this.

Norv

Hello there, and welcome to SMF!

I suppose you can move YaBB installation if you wish, though I am not sure what you need to do to have it still working then.

Or, you can install SMF in another folder, any folder, then convert, then rename the folder(s) so that SMF is where you wish. After renaming the folder of a working SMF installation, all you need to do for things to go just fine is to check and correct the paths displayed by the tool attached here: What is repair_settings.php?.
Please check out as well the conversion guide: Converting to SMF
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

TheArcaneFlame

Thanks for the input...  I figured out how to move the existing YaBB installation and updated the paths so that it is still working.

I then installed SMF 1.1.10 (automated through my host) to be in the /Forum folder where YaBB used to be.

I uploaded the YaBB2.1 to SMF 1.1.10 converter to my SMF installation and ran it...  I received an error though as displayed in the results below:

Converting...
Successful.
Converting membergroups... Successful.
Converting members... Successful.
Converting settings... Successful.
Converting personal messages (part 1)... Successful.
Successful.
Converting boards and categories... Successful.
Converting topics (part 1)... Successful.
Converting posts (part 1 - this may take some time)... Successful.
Converting posts (part 2)... Successful.
Converting attachments (if the mod is installed)... Successful.
Cleaning up... Successful.
Converting polls and poll choices (part 1)... Successful.
Converting polls and poll choices (part 2)... Successful.
Converting poll votes... Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics... Successful.
Unsuccessful!
This query:

REPLACE INTO {$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ("conversion_time", 1258597213),
    ("conversion_from", "yabb21_to_smf.php");

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '{$to_prefix}settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ("conversion_time", 1258597213)' at line 1

Not sure what that means.  I will look around here on the forums to try and find the answer but if you happen to know how to fix this or can point me in the right directions I would appreciate it.

(on a side note, I can log in to SMF just fine and it appears as though most of my content was converted over.  I haven't been able to check everything but the user accounts and boards came across.  I'm just worried as to what content / settings may not have been converted because of the error.)

Norv

Actually, please ignore that last error, as it's in fact a bug in the converter itself and it only happens after the conversion is over. Your conversion has succeeded. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

TheArcaneFlame

Norv

Advertisement: