News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Sub Forums: two issues - icons and child boardx2 count

Started by scorpion1082, November 22, 2009, 06:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion1082

is there any way to get the sub forum to show .png photos?  they assume .jpg i guess.  the rest of the forum works with the .png pictures for icons, but the sub forums dont.

edit 1: first is solved.  i typed here it assumed .jpg when i meant .gif, which caused me to search function for the wrong info, never finding the solution.  i finally did and it was an easy fix.  second issue still happening.

also, the child boards inside of child boards dont seem to get the front page board icons to light up when a new post shows, nor are they counted.  can this be fixed?

im using smf 2.0 rc 1.2 and Mystic Multi v2 theme.

tyty1234

What part of the sub forum would you like to show png photos? Are you probably referring to the board icons?
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

scorpion1082

well, when i have a regular board on the homepage of the forum, it shows the new post and no new post icons i created as a png just fine.  however, when i go to the childboards, they do not show the png icons, rather, they show the words "new post" or "no new post."  it shows it there and along the bottom where it would normally show the smaller version of the same icon as reference.  thats the first issue.

tyty1234

So the childboards, that show within a parent board, should already show the same on/off.png file, but it's not showing for you? Can you double check the url to the image, make sure it's right.

Also, the smaller versions of the on/off.png files are different images which you would have to make to match your on/off.png file.

scorpion1082

i know about the smaller ones having to be made.  i made them.  idk how to check for that as the pictures dont show at all.  they are actually boards inside childboards.  parent board is rss feeds, the childboard is gamespot game reviews, the boards in that childboard are what dont show the pictures or have the smaller pictures.  what template needs to be changed?  is there a specific code in that template that i should look for?

tyty1234

Can you post a screenshot of what you are trying to do so that I can get a better visualization of what you mean?

scorpion1082

first is my homepage with icons showing, second is childboard with no icons showing.

searchgr

tyty1234

Have you tried clearing your browser and forum cache? Can you also right click where it says "No New Posts/New Posts" and click on Properties and give us the link to that image?

scorpion1082

http://www.bluesunalliance.com/Themes/Blue_Sun_Alliance_Layout_MM/images/off.gif is the link to one.  ive just completely reinstalled my computer (not related), so yeah, nothin to do with cache.

searchgr

Your image is in gif. format. Did you edit the ./Themes/{your_theme}/MessageIndex.template.php ?

scorpion1082

no, thats the thing.  its not an image, but it WANTS it to be a gif from the code in the template, i suspect.  my icons are png.  so the messageindex is what i shud change?

searchgr

tyty1234

Quote from: scorpion1082 on November 27, 2009, 10:31:24 AM
no, thats the thing.  its not an image, but it WANTS it to be a gif from the code in the template, i suspect.  my icons are png.  so the messageindex is what i shud change?
Can you attach your MessageIndex.template.php file please?

scorpion1082

well, ive looked through the templates and the boardindex.template.php is the only thing that has my png extension in it and the other templates dont have jpg in it at all, or png, so i figure its that template.  but it doesnt have any jpg in it anywhere, so i dont know what i wud need to do to fix this.

searchgr

right click - properties and give us the links of the icons in the main board and the child forums.

Road Rash Jr.

Rather than change coding and trying to find all instances of the graphic I found it was a lot easier to make a gif, jpg and png and the code will use whichever one it needs. Maybe just me not being a code reader but KISS works wonders.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

scorpion1082

BAH!  i just found them... the issue was in message index template like he said it was.  for some reason, ive been keeping the idea that it was assuming .jpg even though it was assuming .gif <----- needed to search for THAT, not .jpg... but now thats fixed.  the other issue is still there:

how do i get the child board of a child board to show/count its topics in the totals on the front page?

Advertisement: