Editing copyright section at footer of forum

Started by Prosperous, November 27, 2009, 12:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

Quote from: The Grinch on December 23, 2009, 08:43:00 AM
Surely, though, if you take a GPL work, modify it, it's modified - redistribution or not?

The GPL is a distribution license.  If you never distribute your work, it never comes under the influence of the GPL.

Prosperous

Quote from: The Grinch on December 23, 2009, 02:20:48 AM
vBulletin does, but you have to pay for it.

phpBB's use of the GPL doesn't allow it to be done, but they don't take action against users who do - they just refuse to provide support.
My bad, I was meant to state free forum software. ;)
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Looking for or in need of free or paid hosting?
Please contact me now or visit the link above for my very own hosting service.

Arantor

Well, judging by the previous comments, you can use phpBB and remove the copyright without issues against you - but you won't get support for it.

Prosperous

I should add; free forum software does not give you that ability unless you wish to lose something as special as support. 8)
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Looking for or in need of free or paid hosting?
Please contact me now or visit the link above for my very own hosting service.

searchgr

Is there anybody here that checks first the copyright and after gives support? I doubt....

hadesflames

Well, to check on the copyright we need to know the forum URL first =P Usually when I get the URL I look around, and if I happen to notice the copyright is gone I inform the user about it in the support thread. I would assume that's what everyone else does in general.

Arantor

We don't always ask for URL, very often the question is generic and doesn't need that - but the minute it does require supplication of URL, I know I check - unless it is an error where the 'copyright has been removed' warning is displayed incorrectly, and that's what needs attention, we do flag it up within the team for the appropriate parties to go deal with.

Stigmartyr

At the very least it would be nice to reduce the Copyrights to new web 2.0 icons or something rather than forcing text.  It ghey's up my footer.

Arantor

There cannot be any change of the footer due to the current licence. Theory says it should be removable (legally) with 2.0 final but support here is unlikely in that case.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on February 15, 2011, 07:00:14 PM
There cannot be any change of the footer due to the current licence. Theory says it should be removable (legally) with 2.0 final but support here is unlikely in that case.

No worries.  I don't mind it, just that I'd like it to blend with a given theme better.

p.s. the Meebo tool bar covers the copyright at the footer, so does wibiya.  It's still indexed I'm sure.

Arantor

Quotep.s. the Meebo tool bar covers the copyright at the footer, so does wibiya.  It's still indexed I'm sure.

Technically that violates the licence if you check its wording...

Advertisement: