News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Adding topics from my previous LJ forum?

Started by Pudders, November 29, 2009, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudders

Hi - just started my SMF forum a few days ago and although I am still tweaking bits and adding features, I have started posting links, tips etc on my forum subject so that when I do start advertising it there is at least some content there.  My question is I have had a LiveJournal forum going for 2 years with many relevant questions asked and answered by others on there - would it be wrong to copy these questions and answers into my new smf forum?  Of course I would not use the same usernames as these people have not created accounts on this new forum, and I would use a generic username along the lines of 'anon' or 'imported'.  Adding these threads would really beef up my smf forum and on the LJ one I was intending putting up a notice saying its closed and now to visit this SMF one - I could also add a note saying all existing questions on the LJ one have all been transferred to the new one.

This seems like a good idea to me as alot of the answers on LJ are great and very relevant and I do own the smf one and the lj one (would not dream of taking posts etc from a different forum or LJ).  Any feedback appreciated and also on what I can call these imported threads/posts.  Or if this is something that could put users off or is frowned upon please let me know - a bit new to forum building  :)

Arantor

There isn't an importer from LJ as far as I remember. Writing one probably wouldn't be too difficult though, but I doubt you'd get anyone to do it for free - it's not a common or highly-demanded thing.

Pudders

Sorry - I should have made myself clear.
I am happy to copy and paste the text from LJ to my SMF forum myself but just wondered if importing threads from a similar forum type base is allowed or frowned upon when creating new forums.  The LJ one never took off much but there are about 30 topics on my LiveJournal on the exact same subject as my smf forum so rather than me create alternative users to post this basic information or ask friends to ask these questions so I can give the relevant replies and links etc, I figured importing them myself from LJ would give the forum a better starting block with at least the basic's on my forum's subject being covered - these are things I am emailed about several times a week on my main website so being able to point to the topic on the forum would save lots of time and promote the forum.  I just did not want to do this to find it would put users off to see imported or anon posted threads - can I call them something different as creating fake users and trying to post replies at different times will probably look fake and take ages, so i'd rather be upfront and say these are imported from a previous forum I had.
Thanks again for replying

Arantor

Assuming those who posted don't mind the posts being transferred, it's absolutely fine.

I've transferred posts between forums before now; when I first used SMF I was transferring from another package.

It would be possible actually to inherit the details - including time and username (without registration) of the original post but that's going to be either some manual work, or someone developing an importer script.

Pudders

Some of the people who posted are no longer members of LJ or posted as anonymous so I cannot check with them its ok, but there are no personal details or photos etc involved, just hints and tips, others results when using the products etc.  Because I cant check with people who are no longer registered I decided not to use their names so was going to import the text only into a user created by admin called 'Anon' or 'Imported' and then in that persons signature put this info was imported from my old forum/LJ or something along those lines.

Advertisement: