News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is SMF right for me?

Started by highdrake, December 04, 2009, 09:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highdrake

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to have the capability for users to upload files, and have fields that they would need to fill out such as: team 1 vs team 2, map name, etc. Generally speaking so that users can search for specific keywords and those files will show up and will be able to download them.

Is SMF capable of this or would I need a CMS? As much information as possible would be great. I do not have any programming, html, or CSS knowledge but I am interested in starting this.

Arantor

Well, without more details, I'd say that SMF would be an excellent foundation if not directly and specifically geared for what you're trying to do.

It may be that another CMS would be better suited though, but without knowing more about what you're trying to do specifically, I'm not sure we'd be able to recommend anything.

highdrake

Well other than allowing users to upload files and having a definitive search to be able to find the file you are looking for. Also maybe a top ten list of the most downloaded files. The idea is to be a replay source for a specific game, where users can upload or download replays. Also being able to have discussions on topics related to the game, something certainly a forum like SMF can provide.

Arantor

That sounds like it should be achievable with SMF plus the Download System mod from what I gather of it.

highdrake

Quote from: Arantor on December 04, 2009, 10:10:34 AM
That sounds like it should be achievable with SMF plus the Download System mod from what I gather of it.

How do I get this mod if I choose to use SMF?

Arantor

Advertisement: