How to start the forum off..

Started by .Josh, December 04, 2009, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Josh

Right, I've only just come across this forum software and I'm not fully aware of where I start a forum up, and how I go along with starting one up. I currently own a forum but I wont advertise the forum. Could someone provide a link on where I need to go to set a forum up? and is their any advise or information that people can give me that I will need?

kat

Assuming that you know about getting a host and a domain name, you could have a look here http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=2.0;sort=subject to read-up on installing SMF.

.Josh

the forum I used before was a simple and easy one, Where it was a click of a button where I registered to the board. And then set up a board name and my username and then I was done. All I then needed to do was edit the forum to my liking. I don't get all this hosting thing? I was told that making a new forum with these is free?

kat

The software's free.

Where you install it is up to you. You need a host.

You'll find a few mentioned on this board.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=4.0

.Josh

Which of the free onces do you suggest is the best one to use?

kat

I'm really, really lucky. My host's free, she'd VERY good and she doesn't force me to have any ads. :)

Your best bet would be to read through that board and see which one you prefer, I think.

.Josh

Would I be able to use the one your using?

kat

She's just had a baby and she's not taking any new people, for a while. :(

.Josh

This hosting thing is very confusing for me. As it's a first time in "finding a host" so I'm not use to it. I don't want to set something up and then they won't let me install anything. Because I want to run the forum by myself and my friends and install themes as I please. and move/edit/delete posts and topics as I move along.

kat

Again, you're likely to find those things out, by looking around that board.

There's no easier way, I'm afraid.

.Josh

And when I do fine one? what happens next?

kat

You go to their website and sign up!

Advertisement: