News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

most pictures not visible after restore.

Started by mike s, December 07, 2009, 09:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike s

Yesterday I tried to upgrade from SMF 2 RC1.2 to RC2. Had some issues around all packages and kept digging a deeper hole trying to fix them, so decided just to do a full restore from the backups I had done prior to starting and go back to RC1.2

I uploaded everything to my SMF folder and subfolders, and reloaded the database. The issue I Am having is most people can not see their own avatars, or uploaded pictures to the forums. I see some as admin but others I dont. I find it strange that I can see at least one pic others are complaining about not being able to see.

I verified the pics were uploaded to the attachments folder. no issues there that I Can see.

Any suggestions?

regards, Mike.

mike s

thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that,  I Was fairly clean in that regard. Only had to correct about querlyess URL's. The attachment and avavtar recommendations were already used.

Any other thoughts please?

kat

I'm afraid that I can only make suggestions that kinda pop into my head, with this one.

The attachments directory IS read/write enabled, yeah?

mike s

Thanks Kat, I appreciate the thoughts and experience.

The attachments directory is set to 755

Files are set to 644

kat

My next thought was "I wonder if his Attachments directory's corrupt"?

If you look via ftp, are the images actually there? If you save them to your HD, can you view them?

mike s

I dont see the standard names, I see as per the attachment.. I'm not sure if this is valid or not

mike s

I've compared the file name format in the attachments directory to an old backup and its the same structure.. relatively jibberish that doesnt show any connection to the original file name as seen within the thread.

But I'd have to say it looks normal :)

kat

Yeah. SMF encodes attachments, for security reasons.

Is this hassle affecting new attachments, or just old ones?

mike s

Just the old pics. If I create a post with a pic now, I and others can see it no issue.

I used phpadmin to view the attachments table, and it looks reasonable to me

kat

Looks like the directory got corrupted, then, somehow.  :(

Can you copy a backup?

Only problem that I can think of is that the encyption's screwed, somehow.

mike s

this was restored from a backup...

thanks for your intersest and help.. but it looks ok from within the phpmyadmin.. I'll keep digging and if you have any other thoughts on it, please let me know :)

much appreciated.

Kays

Something to try. In the Admin CP > Attachments and Avatars > File Maintenance In the top  box across from "Total Size of Attachment Directory:" there a link to "[Maintain]" Click on it and see if it shows any errors or problems.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

mike s

ok thanks.. I just tried that, but no difference.

The file maintenance tab claims there are :
157 Files,
14 Avatars
56109.03 Kb.

Pressing Maintain tells me No Errors were found.

In FTP list, I have 322 Files ( inc index.php and .htaccess)

I'm guessing the difference is due to thumbnails.

Any other thoughts?

mike s

As a test, I just tried setting it to Not Display Pictures under text in the Attachments tab, and then turn in back on in the hopes this could reset it but it didnt help.

Also worth noting, if I try to download the picture it tells me it is an invalid image.  So maybe it is a corruption issue somehow.

hadesflames

the images could have been corrupted during the restore. Perhaps you can try re-uploading the attachments directory once more.

mike s

mike s

kat

Kays

I think what's happened is that since there's no file extension, the files were downloaded in ASCII mode which is default rather than binary which must be used for for images.

If you change the file name to image.jpg and it won't open, then they have been corrupted

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Advertisement: