News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Tidy Child Boards

Started by Arantor, December 09, 2009, 04:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Link to Mod

This mod allows you to tidy up the look of your child boards into nice ordered columns.

Compatible with pretty much any theme for SMF 2.0!!

Once installed, you'll find these options in the Features and Options page of the admin panel:
* choice of 2, 3 or 4 columns
* for child boards with new posts, you also get the following options:
  * whether the link is bold or not
  * whether you get the [new] icon next to it
* option of having small copies of the board's icon next to the child boards, which also light up (the same as the board icon) if there are new posts

This mod supercedes and replaces 'Aligned and Bilateral Child Boards'.

Version history

2.0 - May 7 2016
Complete rewrite
- SMF 1.1.x users should continue to use the 1.x version of the mod for whatever reason
- SMF 2.0 users should use the 2.0 version of the mod; this requires zero theme edits, fewer other edits and generally should work better

1.4.1 - June 22 2013
Compatibility for 2.0.4 (no code changes)
1.1.18 should work just fine as well

1.4 - 28 July 2012
Adds support for 2.0 - 2.0.2
Dropped support for all RC versions

1.3 - 9 March 2010
Added 2.0 RC3 support, no version number change, no code change

1.3 - 31 January 2010
Fixed missing $scripturl in scope for unapproved posts/topics in the child boards (thanks SleePy for the heads-up)

1.2 - 29 December 2009
Added German support thanks to ianus.
Fixed stupid bug in uninstaller not removing the CSS file in 1.1.x.
Done some work on the IE6/7 bug, which is a browser bug, not anything else. Not really sure what else to do with it other than what I've done to be honest.
Reorganised files to be tidier.

1.1 - 13 December 2009
Added 2.0 RC1.2 support
Fix a validation issue (Thanks Sabre!)

1.0 - 9 December 2009
First public release

JBlaze

Yet another awesome mod! Congrats again!

* JBlaze mutters something about spammers
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Spoogs

nice one dude, looks so much neater now. good job

coldy316

Hey arantor thanks for sharing this mod works well but i think there is a problem with the 4 columns
area.. I have it set on 4 columns but its not showing 4 columns across. Only 3 columns across..

Is it meant to show 4 columns going across the bourd or 3 columns across and 1 column going down
I would do a screen cap but I run an adult board and might get in trouble in screen cap of it.
Would you believe it that i live in gods country
Australia

SilverKnight

Love it Arantor!

I have a suggestion though.

Make it so you can use a custom on and off buttons for the subforum pictures, Even though it shrinks them automaticly, it would be nicer to use other images too if need be.

You have turned my subforums into something of an eyecandy, it looks great.

Arantor

Quote from: coldy316 on December 09, 2009, 06:24:52 AM
Hey arantor thanks for sharing this mod works well but i think there is a problem with the 4 columns
area.. I have it set on 4 columns but its not showing 4 columns across. Only 3 columns across..

Version of SMF? Can't diagnose it without further information.

SilverKnight: And where would it get that from? I know full well if I add support for it, I'll only have to make it work with the Custom Board Icon mod, which makes things a lot more complicated since you'd have to then provide an image for each child board and also to be frank, that raises the bar on support a lot, which for a free mod I just do not have time for.

coldy316

sorry about that arantor forgot about it. smf curve 2.0rc2 anyway heres the screenshots
you should be able to see what i mean when viewing..

I'm using the default theme
Australia

Arantor

Please remove those screenshots.

The reason is concerning your custom theme - there *are* four columns there but due to something in your custom theme, it indents the first column, so the fourth column wraps around.

coldy316

Quote from: Arantor on December 09, 2009, 10:03:42 AM
Please remove those screenshots.

The reason is concerning your custom theme - there *are* four columns there but due to something in your custom theme, it indents the first column, so the fourth column wraps around.

and whats that suppose to mean??? it is the standard theme all i did was change color
Australia

Arantor

You've also changed the CSS too by the looks of things.

There are four columns there, they're defined to consume 25% space in 4 column mode, but that only works if there isn't an indent on the left which makes the first column consume more than 25%.

This mod works fine on 2.0 RC2 Curve - see the attachment for confirmation of that. But also see the difference - your lists have a space to the left of them that mine do not, thus your stylesheet is somehow different.

coldy316

could it be the another mod causing the problem?
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1266

that is the latest mod that Iinstalled before your mod

Australia

Arantor

It's possible. It's other mods have too. It's also possible that whatever you changed when you did your custom theme work may have changed it.

PM me a link and I'll take look tonight at exactly what it is. Note that the same would happen on 3 columns or even two, probably.

coldy316

arantor I sent you a pm please read and explain back
Australia

edi67

CrazyZone - My SMF Forum

From the difficult the hardening of the man you can see

Liam.

Brilliant mod and works fine! Perfect for the sites with more boards. Will definitely put this up on my site ASAI get more boards.

Joe N

Looks a very nice mod. Will use it  ;)
Microsoft: "We Need to Imagine Life Without Walls."
I Say: "If There are No Walls Who needs Windows."

My Mods (6) All My Mods Updated To SMF 2.0 RC2 and SMF 1.1.10!

Kimmie

Arantor, I think I love you!!!!!!!!!!   hehehe I have been waiting for this mod to get fixed!!   (*doin the happy dance)

Will be installing this later tonight!! :)

Arantor

I didn't just fix it - this is a complete rewrite with extra goodness :)

Kimmie

Quote from: Arantor on December 09, 2009, 07:09:41 PM
I didn't just fix it - this is a complete rewrite with extra goodness :)

Will this mod work on 2.0 RC1.2?

Arantor

Um. I never tried it on 2.0 RC1.2 however there's a good chance it will - I seem to recall the edits for Curve and Core are actually identical.

Advertisement: