News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

##URGENT## Upgrade to 2.x?

Started by soulgeek, December 09, 2009, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulgeek

Folks,

I am in Urgent need of your Guidance. Please help: Questions:

1- Right now i am on SMF 1.1.11. A SMF 2.x still in beta, is it advisable to Upgrade, As my Forum is in Production. Shall i still Upgrade?

2- I have pretty URL Mod installed. And in SE all the links are indexed. If i upgrade to SMF 2.x, then What if the Pretty URL stop working, i will loose all my links, indexed in SE and it will lower my rankings.  :-\ Whats your view on it?

Need your Guidance....

Thanks
Ankur
lets Grow Together With Law of Attraction !

Join to Seek a Better Like at
Law of Attraction Forum

AndreT

Hello!

Quote from: soulgeek on December 09, 2009, 11:47:15 AM
1- Right now i am on SMF 1.1.11. A SMF 2.x still in beta, is it advisable to Upgrade, As my Forum is in Production. Shall i still Upgrade?
It is totally up to you. The page says you're not advised to upgrade if it is a production forum. I have a forum with more than 1200 registered users and like 6000 posts. I upgraded and I had a small problem with my browser cache (nothing to do with SMF). It all works perfect and really seems improved and faster. A move to RC2 definitely brightened up my forum's look using the Curve theme now.
Quote from: soulgeek on December 09, 2009, 11:47:15 AM
2- I have pretty URL Mod installed. And in SE all the links are indexed. If i upgrade to SMF 2.x, then What if the Pretty URL stop working, i will loose all my links, indexed in SE and it will lower my rankings.  :-\ Whats your view on it?
The pretty URLs mod is available for RC2 too. If you're upgrading with the mod installed you should pick "Large upgrade" (that's if you're upgrading from something earlier than RC1.2 or have mods installed) and then download the pretty URL mod (prettyurls-1-0RCb-SMF2RC2.zip for your RC2).

Glad if I helped.

soulgeek

Refer to Question 2

What i wanted to ask was, even if i upgrade the Pretty URl ver for SMF 2.x, will my existing links be the same, as they are indexed in SE?

Or
After upgrading to Pretty URL, the link structure will be changed?

Law of Attraction Forum

AndreT

I've no idea how the data is stored by the mod but I suppose MySQL. In that case they will remain (but I would take a backup just in case of database and forum files).

soulgeek

Right now i am on SMF 1.1.11, to shift to SMF 2.x, which version shall i select? There are 4-5 RCs and so on...

Which is the most stable Version in SMF 2.x series?

Law of Attraction Forum

AndreT

Arantor

You can only get the most recent from the download page; anything older is in Archived Releases because it's not current, has more bugs and has security issues.

Advertisement: