News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF iPhone app

Started by jimdoc, December 10, 2009, 09:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyshcr

I have actually been working on this for a while now. I am nearing my first release. The SMF iPhone App will work for most SMF Forums. You enter the URL for your forum's login page, enter your login information, then you can navigate through your forum using a standard iPhone interface. The App also allows you to post new topics and replies to existing topics.

Given the fact that SMF can be highly modified, I cannot promise that it will work with all forums, but I am striving for the highest level of compatibility as possible.

I will be submitting version 1 to the App Store before April 1st. If you would like to test the App on your iPhone (and let me know about any issues you encounter when using it with your forum), please contact me at [email protected] or visit www.smfiphoneapp.com [nofollow]

Rumbaar

Interesting, might have to check that out.  At least to do some testing.

Will it cover 1.[x] or 2.[x] ?  Will it handle Captcha?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

tyshcr

I doesn't work with Captcha. I have tested it on a few different versions 1.1.11, 2.0, 1.0.10, 1.05 - seems to work in most cases. If there are a ton of addons, it can cause problems. I want to get some people using it and then I can debug for specific problems that arise.

The interface isn't anything fancy at this point. There are some screenshots on the website.

www.smfiphoneapp.com

CFCParadox

Hey guys,

Combat FPS is actually coming out with an App too that will integrate our forums, blog and Youtube channel all together in one! I will release the link and everything after it is accepted by Apple but I encourage everyone to test it as it is the only App that includes a SMF forum in it!
characters remaining: 575

rd

I looked at the screenshots, they look very cool. I can't wait for it to be out so I can DL it for my iPhone and touch.

JBlaze

An iPhone app for SMF would be a complete waste of time.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Arantor

Unless you're aiming for just the default, or close to default theme.

How well does it cope with www.simpledesk.net out of interest?

kaamaru

Quote from: JBlaze on March 07, 2010, 02:59:15 PM
An iPhone app for SMF would be a complete waste of time.

why? My iPhone version is how my site started and now I have over 140,000 posts  ;D.

Arantor

Key difference; you're not writing an app whose sole purpose is to be a very limited form of web browser.

kaamaru

Quote from: Arantor on March 07, 2010, 03:45:18 PM
Key difference; you're not writing an app whose sole purpose is to be a very limited form of web browser.

Yep my app is a limited web browser just to one site!

Arantor

OK, so are your members posting on your forum using your app?

Is it just a rebranded web browser effectively? Is your forum heavily customised?

kaamaru

My forum is heavely customized but my members view the forum on an app. The app is available on Cydia which is a store for jailbroken iPhones (because I don't want to pay $100).

Arantor

tumbleweed

I bet the % of folks that jailbreak their phones are very very small compared to normal users of Iphones.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

robbie93

Quote from: tumbleweed on March 07, 2010, 06:36:01 PM
I bet the % of folks that jailbreak their phones are very very small compared to normal users of Iphones.

I havent jailbroken mine should I or shouldnt I?

tumbleweed

i have 2 Iphones both are stock. I found no reason to jailbreak any of my Iphones.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level

robbie93

what about flash though? the only reason I would jailbreak is to get the flashplayer to play games on the sites  :D I hate those little x's man

青山 素子

Quote from: robbie93 on March 07, 2010, 07:27:27 PM
what about flash though? the only reason I would jailbreak is to get the flashplayer to play games on the sites  :D I hate those little x's man

I'm not aware of any Flash player for the iPhone regardless of the state of the phone.

I'd be interested in an Android app, but SMF displays fine in the browser, so it's not something really important.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

tumbleweed

Flash devs are busy working on something for the IPad. That will drift down to the IPhone for sure. I dont know a app would be pretty cool if it worked ok. I would only use it for this site.

青山 素子

Quote from: tumbleweed on March 07, 2010, 08:19:52 PM
Flash devs are busy working on something for the IPad.

I know there is some effort to make a compiler that will turn a Flash application into a native application, but that won't play on-web content. Also, normal end users won't be able to use it without a special developer account (to generate temporary certificates) or jailbreaking their devices.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: