News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

CometChat add ID_MEMBER to Session Table

Started by nadrojcote, December 11, 2009, 02:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nadrojcote

also could have something to do with the fact that I am on hostmonster and could be setting issues in php.ini I have been told ????

nadrojcote

If there is anyone willing to help please let me know, thanks

Arantor

First up, please don't bump within 24 hours. We're all volunteers here, and as you may have noticed, I'm the only person consistently in this board.

I really wouldn't encourage running CometChat on HostMonster if you're going to have more than a few people online at once.

SA™

Quote from: nadrojcote on December 11, 2009, 06:49:28 PM

sry i had loads of call outs last night so i couldent do no coding

i doubt ill be able to hlp this week end cos im on call again and this is the first rest ive had since yesterday

if i was you id be inclined to listen to arantor not just cos im lazy :P but cos he has more experiance with php but if ypu still want it i can help you next week when im off work
http://samods.github.io/SAChatBar/

Xbox Live: smokerthecheese 360 or xbone
My Work
Piano Movers / Delivery service
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.
F*** it, I'm screwed -___-

nadrojcote

Hey thanks for the reponse, yeah hostmonster isnt great and my year is almost up with them, do you suggest another host that would be better and allow me more memory and cpu usage? also I usually only have about maximum 10 registered members on at a time. I am sorry for bugging you guys and I understand that you are volunteers.

Is there anything that hostmonster could have setup that would not allow cometchat to work? the error logs are not showing any errors at all so I have no way to even start debugging.

Quote from: Arantor on December 12, 2009, 03:11:35 AM
First up, please don't bump within 24 hours. We're all volunteers here, and as you may have noticed, I'm the only person consistently in this board.

I really wouldn't encourage running CometChat on HostMonster if you're going to have more than a few people online at once.

Arantor

No, it's not so much their configuration, more a simple matter of computing realities.

HostMonster are what is known as a overseller. That means they cram a lot of sites on to a single physical server. That means there is a limit on what resources you can take up.

Now, last I looked at CometChat, their code works on the basis of maintaining a connection to the user for the life of the chat - much the same way Facebook does.

That's one connection per user continuously. Takes a lot of resources. Facebook had to build a special server architecture to handle their load. You have the same problem on a smaller scale; the resources just don't really work so well for it.

nadrojcote

Yeah I was aware that they oversell, they put around 1000 sites on a box lol. Anyways would you suggest this arvixe hosting?

My main concern right now tho is to get cometchat working, and then if I have resource issues I will move the site to a different host. I have looked through all the code for cometchat, and made all the database changes so that it should be able to read my sessions but it just isnt working. I have tried using sleepys exact code and that didnt work, so I checked it over and found that a few of the sql queries were looking for columns thats didnt exist in my db so I changed them and it still doesnt work.

Now this sounds like I am trying to take the easy way out, But I am willing to donate/paypal money transfer as a gift $40 to who ever can get it working for me, The only reason is because I do not know enough about coding to be able to do this on my own. It is for my gaming community site and they would love to have it working. I have been looking through ever line of code cometchat has hoping that I can find something that seems un ordinary but everything seems to be good.

nadrojcote

Quote from: Sleepy Arcade on December 12, 2009, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: nadrojcote on December 11, 2009, 06:49:28 PM

sry i had loads of call outs last night so i couldent do no coding

i doubt ill be able to hlp this week end cos im on call again and this is the first rest ive had since yesterday

if i was you id be inclined to listen to arantor not just cos im lazy :P but cos he has more experiance with php but if ypu still want it i can help you next week when im off work

its all good man, i dont like to bug you guys, im just in a desperate state. If I am still in need of some help next week i will send you a pm, sorry to bug you so much. Thanks again for the help you have given me so far as well as the code and the arcade games you have supplied me :D

Arantor

What was wrong with the live chat/shoutbox mods that are built for SMF, out of interest?

* Arantor would still point out that once you get past a few people chatting, the host will get upset. No chat is particularly light on the server.

nadrojcote

um well we would like to be able to chat with each other no matter what page we are on in the forum, Currently we have lots of side blocks so the shoudbox is on a top block on the main forum page only. Also host monster has my account throttled already so instead of getting upset they just throttle my cpu usage. I was running hlstats and at first they shut me down for cpu usage and I had to call in, then they just started throttling and havent shut me down since.

forgot to mention currently I am running a flashchat room on the site and it has been working fine, but I would like to replace it with cometchat.

Arantor

That's only the portal one.

nneonneo's shoutbox works on every page, as does AjaxChat and several of the others, meaning it'll just install and work directly with your database.

EVERY shoutbox hits the CPU on your server, especially Comet style ones. There is no avoidance.

nadrojcote

Ya I have looked into those, but am looking for something that allows personal messages, from one user to the other without anyone else seeing, I am very intrigued by cometchat and so are my users. Flash chat allows to start private messages, but this is limited to one window and not while browsing the whole website. When i tried running the javascript version of flashchat hostmonster told me they dont support javascript, could this be why cometchat isnt working?

Arantor

No, mostly it's not working because it requires code changes to be integrated with SMF, not because the host don't support it. Javascript runs on the client browser not on the server.

nadrojcote

ok, well I would really like to get this working, but idk if you really want to help me with code it seems you are busy guy helping people on here.

Arantor

I don't know CometChat, especially since I thought it was paid-for, and I don't have time to grab a copy (even legitimately) and dismantle it to figure out how to make it work on SMF, especially since it's a mod I'll never even dream of using on my own forum.

I'm not sure to be honest how much help I'd be without spending hours dismantling it.

nadrojcote

i do have the zip i could give to you, but thats alright I feel like I have bothered you enough already. Ill wait till next week and see if sleepy can help me out, thanks for your time.

nadrojcote

I have it working now, thanks again guys, i had my cookie set with a different name than he configed it for that was the prob.

SA™

ah yes i should of said that you needed todo set the cookie lol too many things going down
http://samods.github.io/SAChatBar/

Xbox Live: smokerthecheese 360 or xbone
My Work
Piano Movers / Delivery service
QuoteMy allies are dead.
I'm 'bout to be too.
Zombies are chasing me.
F*** it, I'm screwed -___-

Advertisement: