News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[WIP] SMF Rewrite

Started by Alex Stanford, December 12, 2009, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 11:35:59 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: JBlaze on December 13, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 10:04:12 PM
Either way, which it could certainly go either way, my question is - does any possiblity of getting permission for such a change exist?

No.

Well, I suppose that leaves me with three options..

1. Deal with it in court.
2. Deal with the markup being the only unoptimized piece in the applications after my modifications.
3. Find a new forum software.

I'm going to choose between the latter two options, for the sake of peace.  If I am to stick with choice #2, I'm going to need assistance from the members of this forum in order to complete my modification, which none of you seem to interested in providing, at least at the moment.

Though, I would like to say that if anything in this thread is petty - it's the lack of willingness to assist a contributer with good intention because of an overly-egotistical view of open source copyrights.  I mean, jeez, why don't you just run every potential contributer off?  Even if your reasoning is legitimate, I think most of you could have presented the issue in a much more civil manner.

Being the out-of-the-box thinker that I am - I've come up with an alternative solution to all three of these options.

I could just post a suggestion to SMF with an example of cleaned markup in the footer, and maybe, just maybe, I can convince you guys to alter it in a future update of SMF?

How do you guys feel about them apples?  :P

That's what we call the 'civil approach' to an issue! :D

Well, since 2.0 is still in development any suggestions about better markup are welcome, although we can't promise they will be adopted. We are not making any changes to 1.1.x though as 1.1.x development is finished and only security patches are being made for that line.

Alex Stanford

Quote from: DavidCT on December 14, 2009, 04:13:44 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 14, 2009, 02:03:40 PM
You people sure don't neglect to suprise me, time after time, with a lack of reading comprehension.  Please tell me what I said that implies that I intend to redistribute a revamp of SMF.

Seriously?  What is the TOPIC NAME?

SMF Rewrite

So don't give me this crap it wasn't your intent.  It's not named SMF SuperMod, SMF Curve Deluxe, and if it was for personal use only - why post anything about it here?  And, it is you with the attitude.  All I said in my first post was that I was curious of your intent - I didn't acuse you of anything.  I really don't want to continue a flame war, it's not my software.  Sorry to imply anything.  Good luck with your "SuperMod" or whatever.

To SMF Team: Sorry, I shouldn't have gotten involved.

What part of the word rewrite inplies redistribution, exactly?  I am rewriting the entire front-end, or all of the markup - either way - how does that correspond with redistribution?

I posted for assistance learning to modify SMF - as the thread clearly implies.

Off topic idiots are the only people doing anything wrong in this thread.

JBlaze

OK, hows about I actually use my God-given powers for some good use now...

Next person who attacks/harrasses/pokes/bites/punches/stabs/shoots/or otherwise provokes another member, this topic will be locked and member will be given a warning. How about that?

Let's keep this discussion flowing people.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Alex Stanford

Quote from: Antechinus on December 14, 2009, 04:28:46 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 11:35:59 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 10:33:31 PM
Quote from: JBlaze on December 13, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 13, 2009, 10:04:12 PM
Either way, which it could certainly go either way, my question is - does any possiblity of getting permission for such a change exist?

No.

Well, I suppose that leaves me with three options..

1. Deal with it in court.
2. Deal with the markup being the only unoptimized piece in the applications after my modifications.
3. Find a new forum software.

I'm going to choose between the latter two options, for the sake of peace.  If I am to stick with choice #2, I'm going to need assistance from the members of this forum in order to complete my modification, which none of you seem to interested in providing, at least at the moment.

Though, I would like to say that if anything in this thread is petty - it's the lack of willingness to assist a contributer with good intention because of an overly-egotistical view of open source copyrights.  I mean, jeez, why don't you just run every potential contributer off?  Even if your reasoning is legitimate, I think most of you could have presented the issue in a much more civil manner.

Being the out-of-the-box thinker that I am - I've come up with an alternative solution to all three of these options.

I could just post a suggestion to SMF with an example of cleaned markup in the footer, and maybe, just maybe, I can convince you guys to alter it in a future update of SMF?

How do you guys feel about them apples?  :P

That's what we call the 'civil approach' to an issue! :D

Well, since 2.0 is still in development any suggestions about better markup are welcome, although we can't promise they will be adopted. We are not making any changes to 1.1.x though as 1.1.x development is finished and only security patches are being made for that line.

Thanks for the info.  Because of the annoyance over this mod, I'm going to stop development and submit all suggestions via bug report going forward.  I would be focused on 2.0 anyway, so that works for me.

EDIT: Thanks to the above post by JBlaze, I am going to make a final attempt to continue progress with this modification.  Scratch my above statement.

Antechinus

You people sure don't neglect to suprise me, time after time, with a lack of reading comprehension.  Please tell me what I said that implies that I intend to redistribute a revamp of SMF.

SMF Rewrite

So don't give me this crap it wasn't your intent.  It's not named SMF SuperMod, SMF Curve Deluxe, and if it was for personal use only - why post anything about it here?  And, it is you with the attitude.  All I said in my first post was that I was curious of your intent - I didn't acuse you of anything.  I really don't want to continue a flame war, it's not my software.  Sorry to imply anything.  Good luck with your "SuperMod" or whatever.

Mods rewrite SMF.
Themes rewrite SMF.
For that matter, as part of the development process for 2.0 I and others are rewriting SMF. 

I assume this topic was posted here because, despite the rewrite being for personal use, this is the Coding Discussion board and as such is a venue for discussing SMF coding.

Alex Stanford

Quote from: JBlaze on December 14, 2009, 04:39:21 PM
OK, hows about I actually use my God-given powers for some good use now...

Next person who attacks/harrasses/pokes/bites/punches/stabs/shoots/or otherwise provokes another member, this topic will be locked and member will be given a warning. How about that?

Let's keep this discussion flowing people.

THANK YOU.  I'm actually learning to appreciate your blunt approach now!   :D

I appreciate the help getting this back on track..

Alex Stanford

Quote from: Antechinus on December 14, 2009, 04:40:38 PM

SMF Rewrite

Mods rewrite SMF.
Themes rewrite SMF.
For that matter, as part of the development process for 2.0 I and others are rewriting SMF. 

I assume this topic was posted here because, despite the rewrite being for personal use, this is the Coding Discussion board and as such is a venue for discussing SMF coding.

That would be a wonderfully accurate assumption.  Thanks.

JBlaze

Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 14, 2009, 04:41:07 PM
I'm actually learning to appreciate your blunt approach now!   :D

That's because it always works ;)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Alex Stanford

Quote from: JBlaze on December 14, 2009, 04:44:24 PM
Quote from: Alex Stanford on December 14, 2009, 04:41:07 PM
I'm actually learning to appreciate your blunt approach now!   :D

That's because it always works ;)

Apparently...  :D

Alex Stanford

Quote from: JBlaze PostbitSMF Copyright Nazi

...lol.  Actually, that nickname was specifically prescribed for DavidCT - but I suppose you can share it with him.  :P

SoLoGHoST

Ok, haven't read all posts within this topic, however, about SMF Copyright, if there is this MOD over at the Mod Site:  Hide SMF Version which clearly alters the SMF Version (by hiding it), than isn't this indicating that MODs of this nature are welcome?  Yes, I know it was created by an SMF Project Manager and says it's Copyright SMF, LLC., etc..  But it was made into a MOD, not an actual SMF Feature.  Wouldn't it make more sense to place it into SMF by default, instead of create a MOD that does this??  Seems to me, that making a mod of it, has given this the wrong impression, whether it was made by SMF or not, since SMF's copyright is not to be altered in any way according to the License, right?

Well, anyways, just my 2 cents...

Arantor

Hide SMF Version is one written by Motoko-chan and is allowed to do so because it isn't altering the actual copyright code. (Btw, if it's the one on our mod site, did Motoko-chan say you could republish it?)

DavidCT

Mods rewrite SMF.
Themes rewrite SMF.

Ok, listen - I overstepped my bounds, I shouldn't have gotten involved, but I need to clear up something.  His first post:

SMF Rewrite
I just began a project inspired by the developer of http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/.  He recoded most of SMF's markup for that website, but used version 1.  This has inspired me to create what I'm calling SMF Remix - a revision of the SMF front-end development for version 2.0.

My first step is to strip SMF 2.0 down to basic markup, and build up from there.

My original question was, written differently than this, why even publically post this if it's for private use?  Yes, it's coding discussion - I get it, wasn't thinking about that before.  It just seemed odd to go about it the way he did.

No, he didn't say he was going to redistribute it.  No, it's none of my business if he did.  Sorry to everyone for exercising my freedom of speech or showing any concern about this product.  Only my last post was a little bit hostile in my opinion, but all of his were, in my opinion.

So, I consider this closed.  Sorry to all.  Moderators, when you are done with this maybe you should delete it so it can be back on topic.  And if you feel I am a problem here, feel free to ban me - no biggy.  I've done nothing but help people here but it's fine either way.

Update:
Actually, that nickname was specifically prescribed for DavidCT - but I suppose you can share it with him.

and I'm the bad one here?  Wow.  I'm wondering where I personally attacked him like that... (shrug)

SoLoGHoST

Well, it's hiding the Version of SMF from the copyright.  So if this isn't an alter to the copyright, I don't know what is.  Unless you are only referring to the text after the c.  But IMO the version of SMF is part of the copyright also.

Quote from: Arantor on December 14, 2009, 05:23:23 PM
(Btw, if it's the one on our mod site, did Motoko-chan say you could republish it?)

huh??  Don't know what you are talking about here.  I wouldn't dream of republishing it.  It's not my mod.

Antechinus

Good point. Technically that mod may be a breach of the SMF license, depending on how it gets argued. I know that one of the bugbears we keep discussing is the fact that technically all custom themes breach the SMF license, because they all have to  contain modified SMF files.

Arantor

@ SoLoGHoST: Hide SMF Version is a mod on our mod site already, as written by Motoko-chan. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the same mod.

The version number is not explicitly part of the copyright, and is permitted to be hidden because it's pulled from outside the copyright function (so that upgrades can modify the version number without touching that code)

I would note the mod is originally written by a team member.

As per the license, modifications contain instructions on modifying the code, and are explicitly permitted under the license.

SoLoGHoST

Well, I provided a link to it, so all you really had to do was click on the link and see for yourself, no offense.

And this is border-line IMO, should've been added as a feature of SMF, not a mod.  But, perhaps, that's just my opinion.

Arantor

* Arantor thought you were talking about it being on GM rather than here.

Yes that mod is explicitly allowed to do what it does.

Alex Stanford

Quote from: DavidCT on December 14, 2009, 05:25:16 PM
Mods rewrite SMF.
Themes rewrite SMF.

Ok, listen - I overstepped my bounds, I shouldn't have gotten involved, but I need to clear up something.  His first post:

SMF Rewrite
I just began a project inspired by the developer of http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/.  He recoded most of SMF's markup for that website, but used version 1.  This has inspired me to create what I'm calling SMF Remix - a revision of the SMF front-end development for version 2.0.

My first step is to strip SMF 2.0 down to basic markup, and build up from there.

My original question was, written differently than this, why even publically post this if it's for private use?  Yes, it's coding discussion - I get it, wasn't thinking about that before.  It just seemed odd to go about it the way he did.

No, he didn't say he was going to redistribute it.  No, it's none of my business if he did.  Sorry to everyone for exercising my freedom of speech or showing any concern about this product.  Only my last post was a little bit hostile in my opinion, but all of his were, in my opinion.

So, I consider this closed.  Sorry to all.  Moderators, when you are done with this maybe you should delete it so it can be back on topic.  And if you feel I am a problem here, feel free to ban me - no biggy.  I've done nothing but help people here but it's fine either way.

Update:
Actually, that nickname was specifically prescribed for DavidCT - but I suppose you can share it with him.

and I'm the bad one here?  Wow.  I'm wondering where I personally attacked him like that... (shrug)

This feels quite provoking to me, but I'm going to leave it alone.

I'll just note that you stripped the laughing, smiley faces and context from my post in your quote - making it much less obvious that I was joking with another member of the forum.

@SoLoGHoST: As far as that mod goes - I think it's pretty hilarious that you found a mod that is doing exactly what I'm trying to do - but to an even FURTHER extent.  I only wanted to edit markup, not remove any visual elements.

Arantor

Look at the mod's code. It doesn't change any markup at all.

Advertisement: