News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

View/Enter Board Permissions

Started by Arantor, December 15, 2009, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

I think part of the problem is that I don't fully understand the specifics of what you're trying to do.

Bodestone

Well. I kinda do, and regardless of the complexities of what I want to do this issue is very straightforward.

I create a new permissions profile and select Copy from Default.
I create a new board and assign it that profile.

A user with no group membership that can see all the existing (pre install of mod) boards on the default permissions profile can see the new one in the listing but when entering the new one gets:
"An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. "

Arantor

Step back. I don't understand what the end result is, which is why we're both having problems.

Bodestone

OK, regardless of the desired end result.
Since installing the mod I now have this issue that if I set up a new permission profile based on Default then users without a groupget the error trying to enter any board set with the new profile though they show up on the listing, despite the fact that both Show on Listing and Show Topics inside are ticked.

Bodestone

Regular Members does not appear on that page for modification.

I am sure I got a list of user groups on board modify page but cannot find it since the mod.

Arantor

Quote from: Bodestone on January 03, 2010, 09:33:08 PM
I am sure I got a list of user groups on board modify page but cannot find it since the mod.

That's because the mod removes it, because it doesn't work or make sense when it's a true permission.

So, back up. What is the desired end result?

Bodestone

Ahh, thankyou. I now have to explicitly add the board to all post count groups I assume.

These I had ignored because all members were regular members and I made no special discrimination or bonus for posts. This mod has deep implications. I saw some of them but missed the whole post count thing since I has discounted them as calculated additions type thing.

Bodestone

Can be a steep learning curve but seconded. Great mod and with good support for the curve.

Hopefully my trials and tribulations will add to the search keywords for help.

You've been great guys and much appreciated.

Arantor

Well, part of the problem is mine for not documenting it very well, but I've never been sure how to explain it, unfortunately.

Bodestone

Hopefully, by asking correctly and receiving concise answers this will become the documentation. I'm ******e at it myelf but from this maybe you can form an FAQ.

I think One big one there is transference from Regular Member visibility to the specific Post Count groups when assigning board visibilities.

Arantor

I think you might be on to something there.

Permissions as a whole is something of a nightmare at times to get your head round, though. I'm a coder not a doc writer :(

Bodestone

Know that one. Mainly a DBA, SQL programmer. Have been software tester too and believe me I spent a long time wandering round, trying to work out why the basic things failed, in my eyes.

All you need to do though is to create a topic here, or on your forum and link to it both from here and the mod description download. When a certain common question ciops up a lot add it and answers.

E.G.

Q: After installing the mod users not in groups cannot see groups on different permission profiles

A: This mod allows extremely specific permissions settings and so you need to be specific about what you set. Rather than Regular Users when adding which groups a board is visible to you need to add the board to all of the relevant Post Specific groups such as Newbie, Jr, Full to the permissions to the required groups. Regular Member no longer is a total catchall for anyting but the Default Group.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on December 23, 2009, 02:59:04 AM
It is possible with this mod. Just it does a lot more.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=610 for example lets you control a group being able to see and enter the board - but that's all it does. It doesn't allow you to stop people entering boards if one or more of the groups they have access to would allow them in.

Mine allows you to set up whether a group can view and enter the board, and additionally (what it was made for) stopping people entering boards.
Since I have posted in other thread...a mod made by Rudolf but it doesn't give me what I want. I hope this mod is possible and weather it's a request or not, I have attached the image. This shows you the board form the guest and regular members views but they will still not able to enter. It would be great if this mod can make the topics and posts invisible and the "last post" to "private". 
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Arantor

I'm not really planning on adding it to this mod, sorry.

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."

scenerip2k

Quote from: Arantor on January 05, 2010, 11:29:15 AM
I'm not really planning on adding it to this mod, sorry.

I wish you did........

Arantor

Considering that I'm in the middle of a much, much larger mod right now, even if I were to add this, I probably wouldn't get to it for months (literally)

In any case, the main reason I don't want to add it is because it would require changes on most custom themes.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on January 06, 2010, 12:38:25 PM
Considering that I'm in the middle of a much, much larger mod right now, even if I were to add this, I probably wouldn't get to it for months (literally)

In any case, the main reason I don't want to add it is because it would require changes on most custom themes.
Well everyone (mostly) are using the default curve theme, if they were to have this feature they would have to install it manually, that way you can separate the installation instruction. Better off for a default theme.

Arantor

Not really, it would only be guaranteed to work on an unmodified board index - anything even remotely touching it would have to be a manual installation which to be honest I don't really have the time for.

ŦώεαЖзяŁ

I'm not sure what happened, but now, guests cannot see any posts anywhere in the forum :(

I mean, the permission to allow them to view boards works, but the permission to allow them to enter doesn't, that is, i can get them to view them, but i cannot get them to be able to enter.

Link Sharing Community - Share links and earn cash in the process!
APPS | GAMES | MUSIC | MOVIES | TV SHOWS | E-BOOKS

Advertisement: