Installing 2.0 on GoDaddy

Started by KahneFan, April 14, 2009, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KahneFan

A member has been PM'ing me about installing on GoDaddy, so I'm making this post for theme to see... although anyone can use it :D

Note: Any step with a "PI" in front of it means it has a Preview Image below it.

0) You may want to print these instructions before getting started.
1) Go to godaddy.com and login to your account
2) click on "hosting" on the left
3) click on "manage account"
4) click/highlight "Databases"
5) click "MySQL"
6) click "Create Database"
PI 7) fill in the fields:
- On the right, if it gives you the option for an upgraded MySQL version, select the upgraded version
- Description (enter-a-name)
- MySQL Database/User Name: (i use the same as "description here", makes it easier later)
- Password: (password)
- Confirm: (confirm)
8 ) click "OK"

9) wait for a little while (10 minutes maybe) for the db to be created. Keep refreshing the screen, eventually it will say "setup", which means it's ready.

PI 10) This is the step which may confuse some. Once your db is created, click on the pencil (edit/view details) icon next to the db you created. Where it says "Host Name", write down the test from that field. In this example you would use "p50mysql233.secureserver.net", this will be needed later.

PI 11) Upload the files from within the 2.0 package to a directory on your site, or to the main directory of your site, depending on where you want your forum located.

12) Navigate to your new forum's address

yoursite.com
yoursite.com/forum

- You may have to click the "start" button to get to the next step

PI 13) You should now be at the setup page to enter your new information:
- Database Type: MySQL
- Server name: (this is where you use the info you wrote down earlier) [example p50mysql233.secureserver.net]
- Username: (username you entered earlier)
- Password: (password from earlier)
- Database name: (name from earlier)
- Table prefix: (can leave as smf_ )

14) Click "continue"

15) Fill in the first field (Forum Name) ONLY of the next screen. The rest of the fields should be filled in as needed.

16) Click "continue"

17) You may need to click "continue" again

PI 18) The next screen is where you will create YOUR forum identity, just as you would if you were signing up for the forum. The last field is the database password that you created your database with from step 7) and the middle of step 13)

19) click "continue"

PI 19) On the final congratulations screen (with GoDaddy) you can click to delete the install file so.

20) click on the line "Your newly installed forum"

21) That's it! Have fun :D

Note: The account I created for this has been deleted  ;D
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

nigeljh

hadesflames

OverWorked

Before setting up a forum on a godaddy hosted site, I'd try to find other forums and see how fast (or slow) they run. I've used godaddy as a domain registrar and they are fine for that, but I'd think twice about using them for hosting if you uptime and loadtime are critical. We considered them when we needed a new host for our trade show display company, but went with another company because we just could risk a slow or down site. I have a friend that used godaddy to host his wordpress blog. The blog was fairly image intensive (a photography blog) and it was PAINFULLY SLOW loading. I sense that godaddy oversells bandwidth... I guess they need the money for their superbowl ads. :)
Anyway, can anyone provide links to any SMF forums on a godaddy hosted site?

Arantor

Do a search on GoDaddy in the forum. You'll find many instances where they oversell, running hundreds or even thousands of sites on a single server.

KahneFan

I've never had issues in probably 8 years of use. Arantor, have you used GD, or do you just not like "the big guy"?

Arantor

I've never used them, I'm only pointing out the number of issues we've had reported here, including the users who were wondering why their forum was slow, when a simple IP trace revealed over 2000 other sites on the same server.

KahneFan

Quote from: Arantor on December 17, 2009, 04:04:01 AM
I've never used them...

Thanks for he honesty.

Quote from: Arantor on December 17, 2009, 04:04:01 AMI'm only pointing out...

Just randomly trying to point out a negative opinion about a company which you have no first hand experience with...

Quote from: Arantor on December 17, 2009, 04:04:01 AM...the number of issues we've had reported here...

How about the many (probably MANY) users who do not report that they have great experiences? Many people like to come in and comment when they've had issues, even when some of the issue may be on the user side.

Quote from: Arantor on December 17, 2009, 04:04:01 AM...including the users who were wondering why their forum was slow, when a simple IP trace revealed over 2000 other sites on the same server.

And, how many of those "sites" are possibly 1-5 page sites that get 100 visits or less a day? Why would you put those on their own server? Many people have great intentions and build a site, only to leave it dormant. Why would you want to burn up server space on dead sites? Also, did said owner(s) sign up for shared hosting? If so... that's why it was shared. I would agree that a (busy) forum would not want to share with other sites, but if you have a busy forum you probably don't want a shared server anyway.

I'm not picking on you, I'm just not sure why people always have to bad mouth "the big buys" when they may not even have first hand knowledge.

I don't work for GD, and I get no kick backs from them in any way shape or form. With that said. GD is an excellent host for novice and even more experienced users because their interface(s) are extremely easy to use.

Arantor

For any hosting company, it's worth doing a bit of research. Searching for them on here will show a large number of people not very happy with the service. But yes, I can see how some people are satisfied.

Also, having dealt with support issues faced by GoDaddy customers, which is direct experience, when it has been a server issue, the GD helpdesk tends to be either lacking in knowledge or just assumes it's the third party app that's at fault even when it clearly isn't.

Acans

"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

DoctorMalboro

SMF doesn't come in fantastico?

you know, that way is easier for the new ones

Arantor

Oh it does come in Fantastico, but Fantastico does occasionally break the install, so it's actually easier in most cases to just install by hand, rather than install SMF plus every single one of its supported languages, with all the mod issues that will raise.

Advertisement: