News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Location Of Forum Change

Started by jereece, December 20, 2009, 12:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jereece

My forum is located on www.mywebsite.com/forum but somehow   Configuration > Server Settings > Database and Paths > Forum URL got changed to www.mywebsite.com.  Since the forum is really not there but in the "forum" folder, I tried to add /forum to the Forum URL but when I do and click Save, I get the error that the path is invalid.  So how do I fix this so that the forum understands it's URL is in the "forum" folder instead the root of my web site? 

As always, I appreciate the help.
Jim

Kill Em All

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

jereece

What is Error 404: NOT FOUND!  Sorry but there is no file called repair_settings.php that I can find.  Any other suggestions?

adbrad

you have to download the file then upload via ftp to your forum directory then point your browser to the file so put repair_settings.php in your forum folder then go to www.mywebsite.com/forum/repair_settings.php in your browser

jereece

Okay...I downloaded and ran the repair settings.  Now I can get into the forum, view all of the sections and posts, however when I try to log in or perform a search, I get "ERROR 404 Not Found".  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

Kill Em All

Try clearing your cache and cookies. Also, what browser are you using?

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

jereece

I have tried this on multiple computers and multiple browsers (IE, Firefox and Google Chrome).  Same results.

Kill Em All

Can you supply a link to your website, and if it blocks searching the forum from guests, can you send me a test account so I can try and reproduce the error myself.

^^PM that is.

N3RVE

You should select the recommended value below the path related fields, scroll to the bottom and save settings.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

N3RVE

So which is it, you changed the setting or this happened after the upgrade? ::)

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

jereece

Kill Em All - I sent you a PM with the link.

n3rve - This happened after upgrading from v1.1 to 2.  In using the repair settings utility, I did select the recommend values and saved settings at the bottom.  That did not help.

Kill Em All

Thanks for your pm, I to am experiencing your problems. This issue is due to the server not being able to find the page your are looking for. I would personally try to run the large upgrade package again, then if that doesnt work, contact your host.

jereece

I downloaded the large upgrade package, uploaded it and ran the upgrade again.  It finished with no errors.  However, I still have the same problem.

N3RVE

You can send me a message with the access combination so I can look into, that's if it's fine with you :).

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

N3RVE

Got your Pm! Somehow, the link was changing to http://www.gastontennis.org/fourm/index.php?action=login2 upon login. I've temporarily fixed things, it seems ./Sources is actually under /fourm/Sources so you most likely have ./fourm and ./forum after ./htdocs/gastontennis.org/ ::)

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

jereece

Thanks.  I can login and search now. 

You said "I've temporarily fixed things".  Is there something I need to do to "permanently" fix things? 

I really appreciate the help.

Jim

N3RVE

Temporary in the sense that's its working but not the way a vanilla install should work. It's fine to leave it like that and may even aid security seeing that the Sources are in a different parent directory.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo

Advertisement: