News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Packages Problem unable to install

Started by JOEMO, December 21, 2009, 05:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOEMO

When I try to install a package after I downloaded it the fallowing message keeps poping up on every package I try to install:

QuoteYou cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Any way to fix i am downloading it with my zip file?

My second one is were can i get a legend like this for smf 2.0 RC2

Arantor

The first one is probably a permissions issue; all the files need to be writable when adding a mod because a mod changes the code.

The second, Admin > Current Theme > Show group key on board index

JOEMO

Do you know how I will be able to fix the permission issue

Arantor

Admin > Packages > Options should allow you to add your FTP details to reset the permissions.

JOEMO

Arantor

So you put in the details correctly that it asked for?

JOEMO

Yes and it still comes up with the error message
Is THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO CAN HELP ME

Arantor

First up, don't bump within 24 hours please. We're all volunteers, and while you were editing and shouting and bumping, I was off helping other people.

So, if you go to Admin > Packages > File Permissions, what happens?

Arantor

Define "nothing". Can I have a screenshot of what, exactly, you get?

Arantor

Right... all I'm asking is for you to go into the admin panel, to a given screen and take a screenshot of what you see. No changing of files, no reinstallation.

JOEMO

Arantor

You need to make forum and Sources writable.

JOEMO

Ok but when i did that id did noting it says that that it is still not Wrightable

http://forum.brainyboynews.site40.net

Tyrsson

Have you installed any other mods before this?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

JOEMO

No this is the first one I trying to install. I reinstalled my site 2 times and it is still not working.

Tyrsson

Can you connect with a ftp client such as filezilla?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

JOEMO

Edit: No, not at this time. My website probider is updating everyone ftp at the time. I is going to take 4 hours.

jrstark

I think I have a similar problem.  I downloaded a working copy of my 1.1.11 forum, and upgraded it to 2.0.  I am still working with the default theme.  I can download and install packages using browse, but download by URL gives me the same error JOEMO is getting.  All of my folders are writeable.  Most are 777, the three files at the top are 666.

I've tried two packages so far, the first installed fine, but wasn't what I was looking for.  Then I tried the 2.0 Ignore Button, that one says it installed, but is not working at all.

The only forum error message I have is from trying to download by URL.

I'm running Apache, mysql and PHP on a WinXP laptop.

Advertisement: