News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

phpBB 3.0.6 to SMF 1.1.11 - Really weird problem

Started by Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R), December 25, 2009, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Hello,
While I was doing a conversion from phpBB 3.0.6 to SMF 1.1.11, everything worked out well. No errors as such. I have performed the conversion literally 6 times using the following copies of conversion:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=218449.0
and the one on the download page.

Problems I have come across:
- A few topics have got the starter content missing. Many of them in the same category do have the starter content, but a few don't. (333 Topics with No starter Content shown in Database)
- A few posts have gone messy. All the content between two smiley's merge up.

For example:

If have the post as: abcdefg :D 12456 :P 7890 :) efghi  :o 123456  :-\ jklmno

And the post will appear as: abcdefg :D 7890 :) 123456

- I hit the edit button for that post, and there is nothing.
- Both SMF and Phpbb are in UTF8

This seems really weird to me. Anyone has faced this or have a fix to it ?

(Consider this as my Xmas gift to you! :D)

Norv

Can you please post the raw text for one such post, in phpbb3, and eventually, exactly the text of that post in SMF ?
By raw text I mean here the text you enter when posting (and you see when you hit 'modify').

Is the SMF database and all tables and rows also UTF8? Might be worth checking the collation of smf_messages, columns subject and body.

And thank you for the gift! Merry Christmas to you too! ;)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Author: Evilgrin
Title: Loknar
Challenge image:[url=http://www.vindiesel.hu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11030]I Would Give You The Moon[/url]
Rating: PG13 / some language, implied violence
Fandom: Heavy Metal
Pairing: [no sexual pairing], Marsha, Bill and a Loknar :D
Disclaimer: I own nothing from the Heavy Metal movie/magazine.
Summary: Years pass. The Loknar returns and finds another weak willed person willing to do its bidding. Who will rise this time?
Feedback: Constructive criticism. In this thread only please.
Archive: At VX only

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/XXXevilgrinXXX/backup%20PT/Iwouldgiveyouthemoon-1.jpg[/img]

Sickly green light bathed the farmhouse. Not brighter in the fast-falling dark. Instead, the light was more... insistent, like whatever it was out there in the middle of Anderson's field liked it dark. Had woken up.

"Bill," the woman whined in a panic tainted voice, not tearing her eyes from the glowing green sphere out beyond the fence. [i]Beyond the safety of the fence.[/i] "What the hell [i]is[/i] that thing? Bill?" Ineffectually she asked him again, tugging on his sleeve.

"How the ****** should I know, Marsha. What do I look like, a goddamned astronaut?" he barked over his shoulder at her, never taking his eyes off the sphere.

[i]Rocket scientist, Bill,[/i] she thought, in a voice harder, more bitter, than the one she would have used out in the open. As he spoke, she backed away slowly, wiping her hands along the sides of her skirt where the green un-light had touched, where it had settled like a living thing along the windowsill.

"I don't know what it is, but I'm sure as hell gonna find out. Yes sirree, Bob."

Like the barking, it was a tone of voice she was familiar with. He was working himself up for something. [i]Something stupid,[/i] she thought, in that same hard inner voice she had heard all her life. Heard and for the most part ignored.

"Gonna have a talk with Anderson and find out what sort of ******ery he's gettin' us all involved in." Bill pushed away from the window, his face set in hard lines as he stomped across the floor towards the door. "That eejit's gone and invited some of those pointy-headed scientists from up to Barndale. Let them put something out in that field..."

She stopped listening as Bill pulled on his rubber boots and worn jean jacket. Knew that, left to his own devices, Bill would have the event worked into a huge event before he reached the road out in front of their house.

Except that she knew he wouldn't take the road. [i]He'll take the field.[/i] That had some weight, some certainty. And for her, a crawling dread without the benefit of an explanation. As he reached the front door, he pulled the shotgun off the shelf, dumping some shells into his pocket.

"Stay in the house, Marsha, until I find out what the ****** is going on."

Going somewhere else was unthinkable. Where would she go? It was the middle of the night and their nearest neighbour was Anderson, whose field butted against theirs. She wouldn't leave. "You shouldn't..." She trailed off, uncertain all of a sudden.

She had wanted to press harder, to try to make him stay, but she had no idea how to do it. Or if she wanted to do it. In her confusion, silence was easier. With the door closed and locked behind her, Marsha pressed her back against the door and finished what she would have said. "Don't touch it, Bill." That he couldn't hear her, wouldn't listen anyway, didn't matter. She went back to the window and watched the shape of her husband, the shotgun over his shoulder, as he crossed the field towards the sphere.
-o-
[i]A shadow shall fall over the universe
And evil will grow in its path.[/i]

Bill jerked his head up from the ruts in the field. Brighter than the full moon, the green light did little to illuminate the surface of the field and he stumbled across the uneven ground, his head down. Looking around, he saw no one and his face scrunched up in befuddlement. The voice had been so clear that he would swear that someone had joined him, but there was no one.

Not that he knew anyone that would say anything like that anyway. Maybe one of the crazy preachers but Bill hadn't come across one of those in years. No money in it, in a town where  everyone struggled to make ends meet.

Out in the cold air, in the weird un-dark, Bill's anger began to flag, and he looked back towards the warm light of the farm house he had left behind. It seemed so far now. Marsha's silhouette was a black cutout against the amber light from the window. If he went back now...

[i]Do not try to escape.
You are in my control.[/i]

"What the...****** me!" Bill let out a harsh whisper, looking up at the green sphere looming out in front of him. How had he come so far? So quickly? He hadn't. He swore that he hadn't. The sphere had moved. Somehow.

[i]Look at me.
I am the sum of all evils.[/i]

"I don't need this scary ******. I don't know what that asshole got...." Bill started to raise his voice, discounting the feeling that he was being foolish, out in the field by himself, yelling.

[i]Look carefully.[/i]

Unable to do anything else, Bill froze, his jaw gaping open as he looked at the green sphere. It wasn't solid green. Things were...[i]moving[/i] in there. Like it was alive. That's where the voice was coming from. Except that it wasn't. It was inside his head. It was all around. Everywhere.

"What...What are you?" Unable to stop, Bill stumbled forward across the rutted field towards the sphere, no longer watching where his feet were going. He didn't fall, as though he were held up. By something. The shotgun dropped from his shoulder and was now held comfortably in his right hand.

[i]My power infests all times,
all galaxies, all dimensions.
But many still seek me out.
A green jewel they must possess.
But see how I destroy their lives.[/i]

Close enough to touch now, Bill reached out. He watched his hand raise, not understanding why it moved. Only that it had to move. Had to. First the skin itched, then burned. Cored out from the outside in. or the inside out, he had no way to be sure, nothing to compare it to. It didn't matter; it didn't affect the skin on the outside in any effect. The inside was a whole other matter...
-o-

From her place at the window, Marsha had watched in growing dread as her husband approached the sphere.

"No, no nonono...no..."

The whispers stopped once she saw her husband raise his hand, once he fell within the circle of green fire that wreathed the orb. If she could see that far in the dark, she would have been able to watch her husband change. Ever so slightly.

She couldn't see but she knew anyway. She could feel it, as surely as she could feel the growing power from within her. On the windowsill where she leaned, the green light squirmed out of the way of her hands, leaving pools of shadow where light once was. Marsha didn't notice. She was somewhere else. Somewhen else.

[i]Taarakian.[/i]

Marsha didn't know what that meant. All her life she had strange dreams. Where she flew, was a warrior. They seemed strange and always vanished upon waking. They left shadows in her waking mind, shadows that didn't fit and that seemed ridiculous upon their face.

[i]There is no other.[/i]

She didn't argue even though she didn't understand. She had never understood. Out in the field, the thing that had once been her husband stepped out of the ball of evil green fire. Scorched, changed, and unchanged.

The shotgun no longer slung casually over his shoulder, it was held with deadly intent at his side as he recrossed the field. He didn't stumble in the ruts and didn't look down, guided by the Sphere of Ullhatec, the Loknar.

It wouldn't be long now. She walked calmly out into the living room, to the hearth, and picked up the ax. To wait.

That is the original post in Phpbb

In SMF: It is just blank!

Nothing inside. That is the first problem.

Now the second one:
Input in PHPBB
Finally caught up with my reading in here.  So many good chapters, such good writing...

[b]@ Helen - Secrets, Secrets[/b]
Maxine isn't using her brains...but then, we knew that, didn't we.  *giggle*

[b]@ Janine & Bitten[/b]
I loved this!  Those hikers are sissy-men.  Can't take a little carving up, huh?  *grin*

[b]@ Bitten - Re-Shuffling the Cards[/b]
Damn, we're losing Adrian, Kate, Aikeela, Christie, Toorop and Chloe!  :(  Wow, that puts pressure on a lot of different areas. 

[b]@ Helen - Info Break[/b]
Uh, oh, someone's been trying to cover up their tracks.

[b]@ Janine - Sneaky King[/b]
Hmm, very odd behavior.  Looks like Bitten may know our mystery guy, though.
It's good to see Mike & Zendra's discovery coming to good use!  *grin*

[b]@ Jayde - Movin' On Up[/b]
:lolmao  Dom as the new meat!  I love it!  He gets to follow the Prince and Jayde gets to sneak around the museum.  She might get to run into Mike and Zendra one night.  :wiggle  Very interesting developments!

[b]@ Pamela - Wrong Place a the Wrong Time[/b]
Marty kept her head, that's good.  Christie got to beat up the bad guy, also good.  You go, guys!

[b]@ Cyren - Truce and Depravity[/b]
*sigh*  These two still at it?  Man.
Maxine still can't keep her damn knees together.  :roll  I would so love to have been in on that conversation with T-J and Grey.  :grin
Poor Sean, still missing Aikeela.
I do love the way these two get along, very invigorating!

[b]@ Pamela - Working Dinner[/b]
I can understand why he needs the reassurance that she's okay.  *nods*
And I love the way Marty is so...anal.  It's a good thing and it's so Marty. 

Great chapters, all!!  :rock

Outcome in SMF
Finally caught up with my reading in here.  So many good chapters, such good writing...

[b]@ Helen - Secrets, Secrets[/b]
Maxine isn't using her brains...but then, we knew that, didn't we.  *giggle*

[b]@ Janine & Bitten[/b]
I loved this!  Those hikers are sissy-men.  Can't take a little carving up, huh?  *grin*

[b]@ Bitten - Re-Shuffling the Cards[/b]
Damn, we're losing Adrian, Kate, Aikeela, Christie, Toorop and Chloe!  :lolmao  Dom as the new meat!  I love it!  He gets to follow the Prince and Jayde gets to sneak around the museum.  She might get to run into Mike and Zendra one night.  :roll  I would so love to have been in on that conversation with T-J and Grey.  :rock

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

This is the structure of the smf_messages table:

-- Table structure for table `smf_messages`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `smf_messages` (
  `ID_MSG` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `ID_TOPIC` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_BOARD` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `posterTime` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_MEMBER` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `ID_MSG_MODIFIED` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `subject` text NOT NULL,
  `posterName` text NOT NULL,
  `posterEmail` text NOT NULL,
  `posterIP` text NOT NULL,
  `smileysEnabled` tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '1',
  `modifiedTime` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  `modifiedName` text NOT NULL,
  `body` mediumtext NOT NULL,
  `icon` varchar(16) NOT NULL default 'xx',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`ID_MSG`),
  UNIQUE KEY `topic` (`ID_TOPIC`,`ID_MSG`),
  UNIQUE KEY `ID_BOARD` (`ID_BOARD`,`ID_MSG`),
  UNIQUE KEY `ID_MEMBER` (`ID_MEMBER`,`ID_MSG`),
  KEY `ipIndex` (`posterIP`(15),`ID_TOPIC`),
  KEY `participation` (`ID_MEMBER`,`ID_TOPIC`),
  KEY `showPosts` (`ID_MEMBER`,`ID_BOARD`),
  KEY `ID_TOPIC` (`ID_TOPIC`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=319564 ;

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Sorry about the third post, but here is the screenshot for the second problem just to see how it goes on.

Phpbb post:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/JsVineyard/cap.jpg

SMF Post:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2286/captureqow.jpg

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

About 25 hours now. So Bumping up! Though it is already on the top.. :D

Does no body likes this Christmas Gift? :P

Norv

Sorry for the delay, I will look into it, though I didn't manage to replicate it yet.
Can you please tell, did you use "utf8" in the converter, on the first page, too?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Yep, used UTF-8 in the converter aswell.

Tried with ISO-8859-1 and no luck.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Norv

Sorry, I didn't find the time to try a few tests yet. Will try to do tomorrow.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Do you need the database by any chance to get it tested?

Norv

It would be useful, indeed, though that raw post mentioned above is also a point to start.
If you can consider making available the database, however, I would appreciate it. As you wish, really.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

CFCParadox

Very interesting.

I'll try to help you but I can't guarantee anything :)
characters remaining: 575

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Have you been able to replicate the issue with the details in the discussion? anyone at all?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I know that this is the most wierdest bug/whatever, but this is taking toooo long! atleast some lead over it ?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Advertisement: