News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Reconvert second time

Started by pittu, December 25, 2009, 05:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pittu

I installed SMF and converted from vbulletin. I need some time to add some mods and do some testing. It might take couple of weeks.

So after I finish my testing I can import vbulletin data (because in these couple of weeks there might some more threads and posts in vbulletin forums) again and overwritten it in smf database?

Norv

It could be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. The converter will wipe some of the data in the SMF database, and that *might* interfere with the data of the mods. So you might have the surprise that mods won't work correctly after the second conversion. (that will depend on mods, though)

You may want to try this procedure (if not reinstall everything):
- uninstall mods
- convert again
- reinstall mods.
Please note thay when mods are uninstalled, their settings will remain in the database (uninstalling doesn't remove them, so when you reinstall, you get them back, you don't need to re-configure mods). But if some interference with the conversion existed, and some settings/data of mods was lost, then reinstalling the mod will typically add back the defaults.
So in the worse case, everything still works, and you'll see if some of your settings were or not reverted to defaults.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

pittu

Thank you Norv!

Then I better email members or disable vbulletin for couple of days. Because I don't want to take any risk of corrupting the database.

Happy Holidays!! :)

Norv

I would do the same, to be honest.
Cheers, happy holidays to you as well, and welcome around! :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: