News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Registering Duplicate Email addresses

Started by chemdata, January 28, 2008, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chemdata

I have installed smf 1.1.4 and its working well.  All registrations are done by the administrator and no one is allowed to register otherwise.  The website is a church site and many members are married and consequently have the same email address.  I s there a way to register them with the same email address but with different usernames and passwords.

Right now when you try to register with the same email address you get an error message.  Thanks for any help.

Rumbaar

No there isn't a way, and it's not recommended.  You will run into issues for when people require forgotten password, etc  If they are sharing e-mail addresses they may be able to share an account or just get them to create a new free e-mail account or make one up if they are never going to use the notification system.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

karlbenson

Another reason is that the email address can be used to login instead of the username.

So the email address must be unique.

peterinwa

Here's my forum:  www.MySchnauzer.net/forums

live627

Quote from: peterinwa on January 04, 2010, 11:07:18 PM
Thanks for the good info!

Peter

Are you sure you wanted to post that onto an age-old topic? :O

peterinwa

Sure!

Most of the time I use this forum I find my answer in an old post, and I like to say thank you. Plus I think it's a topic others might wonder about.

Peter
Here's my forum:  www.MySchnauzer.net/forums

Robert A. Rosenberg

Just to add something to this restriction on needing unique email addresses. Depending on the mail server being used there are ways to share email addresses. Some but not all servers will allow the email address to have a tag after the local part (usually signaled by a "+" sign) that is ignored in selecting where to deliver the message. When this is supported the email address is of the form user+tag@domain and will be handled as if it were just user@domain. Thus you can register under SMF as user+husband@domain and user+wife@domain and have two "unique" addresses both of which get delivered to user@domain. It is the job of the user's MUA to filter the tagged mail into the different mailboxes/persona after being downloaded from the POP/IMAP Server.

In those cases where the users of  the shared address can use this capability, it can be used as a solution to unique address restrictions. It is also useful where you want to monitor who is recycling your address. IOW: You log onto site 1 as user+site1@domain and site 2 as user+site2@domain. If you start getting email from site 3 addressed to user+site1@domain you know that site1 has provided site3 with it (usually in violation of a privacy promise). It is useful in those cases where you might usually use a Throw-Away address or create a unique address if you own your own domain.

Advertisement: