News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How Do I set Up A Board Where Topics Must Be Approved.

Started by Xarcell, January 02, 2010, 11:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

This is nerve racking, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to apply this feature to a board.

I already did a search on here and google and came up with nothing. Any help?

JBlaze

Go to the board you want to make post-approved via Admin -> Forum -> Boards -> {board} -> Modify

Then click on Permissions. Look under the membergroups and select the membergroups you want to have posts moderated in the board, then check "Post new topics, but hide until approved"
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Xarcell

I tried that, but I get: " You can only select one action to modify permissions".

Xarcell

Is this a bug?

I also went to "Post Moderation", and tried experimenting with permissions there, but I am unable to save any settings. Tested on 2 installations.

Arantor

There is a known bug in 2.0 RC2 with saving permissions, it's on the tracker pointing to the thread in bug reports, whereupon I also detail how to fix the broken template.

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor on January 03, 2010, 10:48:20 AM
There is a known bug in 2.0 RC2 with saving permissions, it's on the tracker pointing to the thread in bug reports, whereupon I also detail how to fix the broken template.

Ok, found & applied the fix for permissions not saving in post moderation. That part works, but I still have the main problem at hand. I cannot set it up so that a user needs to have their topic approved in certain boards.

Any suggestions, fixes, or workarounds?

Arantor

Xarcell

Quote from: Arantor on January 03, 2010, 03:24:27 PM
So, what exactly have you selected for each group?

I don't know what I'm doing to tell you the truth. There's alot of confusion on my end on how the permissions system works.

I created a new profile called "Articles" for the boards.

Then I tried doing as JBLaze said, but I keep getting that pop-up message. I tried removing permissions to post at all from Articles membergroup, then add it as JBlaze said, but it still does not work.

Xarcell

What does it mean when it says "you can only select one action to modify permissions".

Xarcell

I have: Permissions for group "Articles" in profile "Articles". I have "Post new topics, without requiring approval" unchecked, and "Post new topics, but hide until approved" checked. Still, the user can create topics freely...

What am I missing? The user is in no primary groups, and is in Articles secondary group.

Arantor

You also have to remove the ability to post approved topics from the lower post count groups and also from Regular Members group in that profile.

If in doubt find a user who can, and look at their profile > Show Permissions to see what usergroup's permissions are granting them that permission.

Xarcell

I removed the user from all membergroups. They are just stuck with "regular members" according to the permissions giving.

I removed the ability to post new topics all together from the regular members group. The user can still post freely.

Arantor

Xarcell

It says in profile show permissions: "Post new topics Given by: Regular Members"

But when I edit "regular members",  the permissions have been removed.

EDIT: I just noticed that is for the "regular members default profile". I changed the board profile from articles to default. Now the user cannot post new topics. I'm still having trouble gtting to where I need to be though.

Continue tinkering...

Xarcell

Wow, this is nerve racking as hell. The permissions system is a maze.

It still won't work.

Regular members with default profile on a certain board a user cannot post a topic. Goal achieved.
Regular members with articles profile on the same certain board can post without approval. Even though it says "Post new topics, but hide until approved n- checked". Post new topics, without requiring approval - unchecked.

Arantor

So, check the user's profile, where it has Show Permissions. It'll tell you what user group is giving them that permission. Nice big list.

Xarcell

It doesn't work...

The only membergroup it shows that the user has permission to post new topics is Regular members. I have removed the ability to post unapproved topics.

http://inspireromance.com/screenshot_approvetopic1.jpg

http://inspireromance.com/screenshot_approvetopic2.jpg

yet the user can post freely.

Arantor

It would help to see the entire page, rather than just parts of it, to be honest...

Xarcell

I just tried changing the user from no primary membergroup(regular members) to a different primary group. Now when I look at profile > show permissions, post new topic isn't even on the list, but "Post new topics, but hide until approved" is there. However the user can still post without approval.

Tyrsson

Do you have post group permissions enabled? Is the user a member of more than a single group?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: